Some news items for you as we head into the weekend:
• Windy City Times: David Archuleta (above) says his new EP Earthly Delights is about “exploring and getting comfortable with my sexuality, sensuality, and falling in love—things I never allowed myself to do before. I used to keep things so G-rated—even into my 30s.”
Some news items I thought worth your time: • LGBTQ Nation: Gun-toting neo-Nazis (above) tried to ruin a Pride festival in Grove City, Ohio, but failed miserably. Their presence inspired the town and its leaders to come out in support of the local queer community resulting in the biggest Pridefest yet. Continue reading “Nazis Fail In Pride Festival Disruption + More News”
Madonna (image via Depositphotos) Some news items you might have missed: • Variety: The anticipated biopic of music legend Madonna is taking an indefinite holiday. The project, which the icon was going to direct herself, is no longer in development at Universal Pictures, according to multiple sources. Continue reading “Madonna Biopic On Pause Indefinitely + More News”
Chris Meloni for Peloton (screen capture) Some news items you might have missed: • Peloton: Folks are celebrating National Nude Day by watching Chris Meloni throw down his workouts in this cheeky ad-spot for Peloton. Meloni has previously shared he likes working out au natural. Continue reading “Chris Meloni Works Out + More News Items”
Jared Michael Boyce (mugshot – Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office)
The mother of Jared M. Boyce, 27, kicked him out of her house after his arrest for conspiracy to riot with the far-right Neo-Nazi group Patriot Front at an Idaho Pride event. The Southern Poverty Law Center calls the group “one of the most prominent white supremacist groups in the country.”
Conor Climo (screen capture) A Las Vegas man pleaded guilty Monday to a federal weapons charge after plotting violent attacks on an LGBTQ bar, a synagogue, and the Anti-Defamation League. Conor Climo, 24, signed the plea agreement that was filed in January in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports the agreement reads, in part, “Defendant stated that he wanted to do more against the groups he hated by carrying out violent attacks against them.” “Defendant admitted to discussing plans for violent attacks online against the Anti-Defamation League, a local Las Vegas synagogue, and a local bar,” continued the document. In the agreement, Climo admitted the unnamed bar catered to an LGBTQ clientele. Climo was arrested in August last year after being monitored communicating via encrypted internet chat with individuals identified as white supremacists. He reportedly told an undercover FBI informant he was “scouting places to attack.” In his communications with the undercover agent, Climo sent a satellite image of the synagogue he planned to target which highlighted a possible escape route. Climo also used homophobic language and spoke about surveilling an LGBTQ bar in downtown Vegas in the encrypted chats. When the investigators arrived at Climo’s home with a search warrant, they found “hand-drawn schematics and component parts of a destructive device” which included oxidizing agents, flammable liquids and circuit boards. An AR-15 assault-style weapon and a bolt-action rifle were also confiscated during the search, according to NBC LA. He was charged with possessing an unregistered firearm in the form of the component parts of a destructive device. A statement from the U.S. attorney’s office said, “Climo would regularly use derogatory racial, anti-Semitic and homosexual slurs.” Appearing in court wearing a yellow jail jumpsuit on Monday, the Review-Journal writes, “Climo stood with closed fists at a podium, mostly answering ‘yes, your honor’ and ‘no, your honor,’ to a series of standard questions.” AsI reported in August, Climo made headlines in 2016 for ‘patrolling’ his neighborhood wearing battle gear and carrying an assault-style rifle and survival knife. At the time, he told local ABC News affiliate KTNV, “I’ll pretty much stay within constitutional bounds when I’m doing this.” ‘Pretty much stay within constitutional bounds???’ He also told the reporter he would be looking for ‘suspicious activity,’ which he defined as “people outside when they’re not supposed to be.” In the interview, Climo admitted he had no formal training in patrolling, policing, or dealing with possibly tense situations. CNN reports Climo will return to court on May 14 where he faces up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. According to the plea deal, he will also be required to undergo mental health treatment and be monitored via an electronic device upon his release from prison. Climo’s story is especially chilling as Las Vegas was the site of the nation’s deadliest mass shooting in modern US history, when 58 people were killed and more than 500 hurt in October 2017. Here’s the 2016 report from KTNV:
Richard Spencer Over the weekend, alt-right instigator Milo Yiannopolous posted an audio recording of ‘white nationalist’ Richard Spencer reacting to the death of 32-year-old Heather Meyer after the violent ‘Unite The Right’ hate rally in Charlottesville, North Carolina, in 2017. Spencer was an organizer of the event where one of his compatriots drove his car into a crowd of anti-nazi protesters killing Meyer. He made his way into the mainstream news by being ‘clean-cut’ and ‘well-dressed’ as opposed to appearing in his white hood. Spencer says, in response to Heyer being murdered in Charlottesville:
We are coming back here like a hundred fucking times. I am so mad. I am so mad at these fucking people. They don’t do this to fucking me. We’re going to ritualistically humiliate them. I am coming back here every fucking weekend if I have to. Like this is never over! I win! They fucking lose! That’s how the world fucking works.
Little fucking kikes. They get ruled by people like me. Little fucking octaroons. I rule the fucking world. Those pieces of shit get ruled by people like me. They look up and see a face like mine looking down at them. That’s how the fucking world works. We are going to destroy this fucking town.
The word octaroon, a hateful term for someone who is one-eighth black, is practically never used except in so-called ‘white nationalist’ circles. You’ll recall Donald Trump infamously defended people like Spencer declaring that there were “very fine people on both sides” at the rally. It’s interesting that Milo would leak the recording since it seemed he and Spencer were once friendly. With Milo’s financial woes hitting the news, perhaps he’s just trying to become relevant in some way…? Here’s the audio – get ready, folks, this is rough:
The YouTube post by Yiannopolous claims “the audio was recorded in Charlottesville at an ’emergency meeting’ Spencer assembled immediately after he learned of Heather Heyer’s death.” For a little more background on Spencer, here’s a deeper dive ABC News’ Nightline did in 2016. Featured in the report is a clip where Spencer led cheers for Donald Trump declaring, “Hail Trump!” as his followers threw Nazi salutes.
The Washington Postreports that neo-nazi James A. Fields Jr., convicted of first-degree murder (among other charges) has been sentenced to life in prison and more for his actions.
James A. Fields Jr., an avowed neo-Nazi who rammed his car into a group of counterprotesters at a white-supremacist rally, was sentenced to life in prison by a jury Tuesday after a trial that offered an unsparing view of the physical and emotional ruin he caused in this city with a burst of vehicular rage 16 month ago.
As he had throughout his two-week trial, Fields, 21, sat impassively at the defendant’s table, clad in a powder blue sweater, as the jury delivered its verdict at 12:20 p.m. after about four hours of deliberations that began Monday: life for first-degree murder; 70 years for each of five counts of aggravated malicious wounding; 20 years for each of three counts of malicious wounding; and nine years for leaving the scene of a fatal crash.
His overall sentence: life plus 419 years and $480,000 in fines.
Heather Heyer, 32, was killed in the attack as well as 35 others who were seriously injured.
In Virginia, a trial jury hands out sentences within certain guidelines.
The judge will officially sentence Fields on March 29. At that time, the judge may reduce, but not increase, the prison time.