• Daily Beast: Robert De Niro declares he’s Team Buttigieg saying in a recent interview, “He’s got all the credentials — Rhodes Scholar, Afghanistan veteran — even though he’s young, and if he could get a chance it could be something special, I think.”
• Men’s Health: Henry Cavill talks about what motivates him in the gym. “It’s not like I’m a golden god — I’m just proud of what I achieved. And then you can take your clothes off in front of your significant other, and they’re like, ‘Goddamn, you look great!’ Like, ‘Yes! I’m making other people happy.’” For the record, yes – it would make me happy for Henry to take his clothes off 🙂
• ABC News: Donald Trump, whose sons enjoy killing animals for enjoyment, signed into law today a bill that makes animal cruelty a felony. I totally support the new law, but the irony is inescapable.
• Global Citizen: Italy has passed a law that will give garbage collection tax breaks to businesses that donate unsold to charities rather than throw it away. Currently, the country spends more than $13 billion USD on waste management.
• New Music: Like the track itself, the new music video for “Oh Mama” from indie-pop group Milky Chance has a trippy, retro blues vibe. It’s pretty hard to avoid nodding in time with the song. From the band’s new release Mind The Moon.
Henry Cavill and his ‘super’ alter-ego (image via Instagram)
Color me sad as the news arrives that Henry Cavill (and his awesomely furry chest) will not appear as “Superman” in any future Warner Bros. DC films.
Cavill has played “Superman” in three films, including Man of Steel (2013), Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) and Justice League (2017).
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Warners had been after Cavill to make a cameo in the upcoming Shazam flick starring Zachary Levi. But negotiations appear to have fallen apart and as THR writes, “The door is now closing on other potential Superman appearances.”
Several theories are being bandied about as to the shift in “super-strategy.”
While one Warners source told THR that ‘scheduling conflicts’ cause the deal to disintegrate (Cavill recently signed to star in the new Netflix series, The Witcher), another source claims the Witcher offer came after the Warners negotiations.
One studio insider suggested that Warners is merely going for the commonly attempted “reset button” on the DC universe of films after admitting “some parts of the previous movies didn’t work.”
I’ll tell you what DID work – THIS:
THR also mentions that with so many DC films in the pipeline Warners isn’t likely to produce a stand-alone Superman film anytime in the near future.
Not only is the Jason Momoa Aquaman movie set to arrive this December, but Wonder Woman 1984 is due in theaters November 2019, and openly queer Ezra Miller is scheduled to start shooting a Flash movie in early 2019.
Additional reports say Warners is shifting focus to a Supergirl origin movie.
Comparing the Superman franchise to the James Bond films, a studio source said, “Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors.”
Along that same line of thinking, THR mentions that Oscar winner Ben Affleck is not likely to return as “Batman.”
Cavill fans might be able to hold out some hope, though.
On Twitter this morning, Cavill’s manager tweeted a somewhat cryptic message which read, “Be peaceful, the cape is still in his closet. @wbpictures has been and continues to be our partners as they evolve the DC Universe. Anticipate a WB statement later today.”
Be peaceful, the cape is still in his closet. @wbpictures has been and continues to be our partners as they evolve the DC Universe. Anticipate a WB statement later today.
• Included in the undercover recordings of Cambridge Analytica executives was one of the top ranking bosses suggesting spreading gay rumors about candidates was an effective method of bringing them down.
• Political analyst Stu Rothenberg spoke to several insiders who predict the Democrats will win between 30-45 seats in the House during the fall mid-term elections, more than the 24 seats needed to take control.
• In a somber Instagram post, insanely handsome Superman star Henry Cavill shares the news that his facial hair is, sadly, no more. #ShavedButNotForgotten
• Eliad Cohen keeps scanning the horizon looking for me in Mykonos, Greece #ICanDayDream
• 143 House Democrats have penned a letter asking Donald Trump to reconsider his “ill-advised and indefensible policy” of banning transgender service members from the U.S. military. Citing probable unconstitutionality of the policy, the lawmakers’ letter to the president underscores that trans military “serve with equal distinction; they are equally deserving of our gratitude and respect.”
• Superman Henry Cavill assures us all that his moustache “continues to thrive” even on vacay. #FurryGoodness
A post shared by Henry Cavill (@henrycavill) on Aug 29, 2017 at 11:57am PDT
• Pro-Trump/Nazi websites Stormfront and The Daily Stormer have lost their web hosting due to hate speech and histories of violent crimes.
• A Republican lawmaker has proposed an amendment in Congress that would stop funding the Special Counsel investigation 180 days after it became law. The amendment from Florida Congressman Ron DeSantis would also limit special counsel Robert Mueller from probing “matters occurring before June 2015,” which is the month Donald Trump announced his presidential bid.
• Averaging only a few thousand viewers during the day in the UK, the owners of Fox News have decided to pull the network from airing in Britain.
• New music from out Canadian twins Tegan and Sara as they team up with Matthew Dear for “Bad Ones.” Listen below.