William Bertelsman, who heard oral arguments in the case earlier this month, issued the ruling on Friday.
Nick and his attorneys, Todd McMurtry and L. Lin Wood, alleged that the gist of The Washington Post’s first article conveyed that Nick had assaulted or physically intimidated Nathan Phillips, engaged in racist conduct, and engaged in taunts.
But, Bertelsman wrote, “this is not supported by the plain language in the article, which states none of these things.”
Bertelsman accepted Nick’s assertion that he was only standing motionless across from Phillips, without ill intent.
“He concluded that he was being blocked and not allowed to retreat,” Bertelsman wrote. “He passed these conclusions on to The Post. They may have been erroneous, but, as discussed above, they are opinion protected by the First Amendment.”
Phillips and Nick were captured on videos that went viral in January when they stood across from each other on the National Mall. Nick stared at Phillips as Phillips participated in a song with other Native Americans.
This video clip went viral, throwing Covington Catholic into the national spotlight. Longer video has since emerged showing how the incident started.Louisville Courier Journal
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) went to bat for Donald Trump this morning during an appearance on Fox & Friends as he called “the squad,” a group of four freshman progressive Democratic lawmakers, “a bunch of communists…anti-American.”
“We all know AOC and this crowd are a bunch of communists. They hate Israel, they hate our own country. They’re calling the guards along our border, Border Patrol agents concentration camp guards. They accuse people supporting Israel of doing it for the Benjamins.”
“They’re anti-Semitic. They’re anti-America. Don’t get down, aim higher. We don’t need to know anything about them personally. Talk about their policies. Their policies will destroy this country.”
Four years ago, Lindsey Graham called out Trump’s racism and xenophobia. Now he’s gaslighting to protect it. His transformation from skeptic to stooge has been one of the most pitiful one-eighties in political history. https://t.co/zAnsKgzMza
Trump continued his attacks on the four Democrats Monday morning saying they should “apologize” for the “foul language they have used.”
Gee, project much…?
When will the Radical Left Congresswomen apologize to our Country, the people of Israel and even to the Office of the President, for the foul language they have used, and the terrible things they have said. So many people are angry at them & their horrible & disgusting actions!
A hack writer (using the term loosely here) somehow got a tacky, ill-written hatchet job on Democratic presidential candidate Mayor Pete Buttigieg on the New Republic website.
I won’t link to it because it was yanked down once the writer, Dale Peck, was presumably tackled and handcuffed to a radiator somewhere.
The author, who’s clearly a bitter old queen, took Mayor Pete to task for coming out in his mid-30s and claims that disqualifies him from the presidency.
When contacted about the article, editor Chris Lehmann (who must have been at happy hour when the author hacked into NR’s website) responded saying, “The New Republic recognizes that this post crossed a line, and while it was largely intended as satire, it was inappropriate and invasive.”
Here’s just a sample. Click to enlarge.
Trust and believe, this was not satire. Satire requires wit.
TNR’s response to my request for comment: “The New Republic recognizes that this post crossed a line, and while it was largely intended as satire, it was inappropriate and invasive,” Chris Lehmann says https://t.co/ExXYUNe1SU
Not clear in what sense the post was “satire”. Defend the homphobic story or not but just between us kids, it’s pretty clear that @newrepublic eidtors are in over their heads and don’t really know what they’re doing. https://t.co/Z3UPm4EVWl
If TNR had written an article like this about one of the women running, it would be front page news and people would be outraged. What ANYONE does with their spouse in private is no one else’s business to ponder.
I think one response cld be, “Hey, we fucked up.” Another could be, “It was satire!” Combining the two translates as “I’m out at dinner and panicking and we really haven’t come up with an explanation yet.” https://t.co/u324NV2FX5
I get satire and appreciate pithy, but this @newrepublic shock piece by Dale Peck on Pete Buttigieg where one gay man tears down another with (among other things) a “Mary Pete” moniker is just pathetic.
Wesly Michel was waiting for a friend at their apartment building in San Francisco on July 4, when he encountered a racist assh*le who decided he needed to call the police because Michel was, basically, ‘waiting while black.’
Sadly, the son of the racist was with him at the time, and the son begged his father not to call the police or act out.
“Daddy, look what you’ve gotten us into. Let’s go!”
Michel, a 35-year-old software engineer, told CNN, “Unfortunately this incident mirrors the experience that African Americans endure daily where we are questioned on whether we belong. I videotaped this incident to protect myself and to support my story should police get involved.”
During the three-and-a-half-minute recording (which was posted to Michel’s Facebook page), the boy can be heard pleading with his father not to call police on Michel, whom the father says is a “trespasser” in his building that he describes as “appears to be African-American.”
Michel encountered the father and son on Independence Day as he says he was waiting on a friend at an apartment building in San Francisco. The video begins as the man asks Michel to identify the person he is there to see and to “please call your friend on the call box and have them come down and get you.”
“They don’t have to do that. You can just walk away,” Michel responds.
The man, who appears to be holding open the door to the building during the conversation, tells Michel he’s going to call the police.
“Daddy don’t!” the child says as the man pulls out his cell phone.
Michel welcomes the call and reminds the man that he is being recorded.
“You’re just gonna be the next person on TV, just remember that and you have your son with you,” Michel tells the man.
The man calls the police and tells them that Michel is a “trespasser,” who “tailgated” into the building, walking in as he was walking out.
As the man talks to police, his son begins pleading with him to leave and to not call police.
“Dad, don’t. Please go,” the boy says. “Daddy go. It’s the better; I agree with him, daddy.”
The boy begins to cry as his father describes Michel to police.
“Daddy, I don’t like this. Let’s go,” he says.
“Listen to your son, walk away,” Michel says. “I will stop this. I will stop the recording.”
Of course, Michel’s friend arrives (as the video is still recording) but there’s no apology from assh*le man.
As the father smirks, his young son continues to beg his father. “Told you. Let’s go now,” pleads the young boy. “Daddy, look what you’ve gotten us into. Let’s go!”
The police do not come to the scene. Assh*le man asks Michel to stop recording, but he continues anyway.
“Now you’re online forever,” says Michel.
My question is: if you truly think the man is trespassing and a danger, why are you continuing to stand within two feet of him with your VERY young son next to you???
Reading the comments on Michel’s Facebook page, the vast majority note that the son had the good sense that the father did not. Many also pointed out how traumatized the child was, but assh*le man wouldn’t relent even for his child.
Internet sleuths, including the folks at Essence, believe the man to be someone named Christopher Cukor. Several posters found his Linkedin profile as well as his Facebook page before the profile photo was changed.
Ol’ Chris tried to delete info from his linkdin, facebook and other accounts, but we got them screen shots tho. pic.twitter.com/H7UdgTYxlu
Peter Cukor had a son named Christopher Cukor, who would be about 44-years-old today.
That Christopher Cukor blamed the police for not responding to his father’s call and eventually sued the police department. It appears from the police transcript of the call that the elder didn’t communicate imminent danger. But when the black man returned, Cukor’s wife called saying her husband was being attacked, and the police responded.
According to the SF Gate report, the suspect was found mentally incompetent to stand trial. He mentioned to police he was looking for his fiancée Zoey. The man’s father told police his son didn’t have a fiancée and Zoey was a figment of his imagination.
The attacker’s family told authorities he had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia five years earlier and they had asked authorities to remove him from the streets while he was treated, reports SF Gate.
That is a sad story. But, I don’t believe that justifies living the rest of your life assuming all black men pose violent danger to you.
King Trump was displeased when his chief of staff coughed during an interview
During an interview segment with George Stephanopolous of ABC News, Donald Trump stopped mid-sentence and asked for a ‘re-shoot’ of his answer because his chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, coughed in the background.
As he was answering a question regarding his financial records, Trump stopped – as if on a television set.
“And let’s do that over, he’s coughing in the middle of my answer,” Trump told Stephanopoulos.
“I don’t like that, you know, I don’t like that,” Trump said in reference to the coughing, with clear disdain.
“Your chief of staff,” Stephanopoulos asked.
“If you’re going to cough, please leave the room,” said Trump. “You just can’t, you just can’t cough. Boy oh boy…”
Even at the end of the interview, Trump revisited “the cough.”
Pres. Trump says he “might” turn over his “financial statement” to Congress.
On Twitter, Washington Post reporter Jackie Alemany shared a message from a former Trump campaign staffer:
Text from former 2016 Trump campaign staffer: “I was told by multiple people when I came aboard to never cough or sneeze while in the presence of Trump. He thinks it’s a sign of weakness and lack of control. Nobody ever recovers.” https://t.co/9CmKeoH1iu
With all the news made on #Trump30Hours the scene where trump condescending embarrasses the person who coughs is the most revealing. Like Lonesome Rhodes in ‘A Face In The Crowd’ the curtain is down and the emperor is wearing no clothes. pic.twitter.com/Swh7iRceKX
One of my favorite bloggers, kenneth in the (212), has posted a text message chat between what appears to be ‘totally-not-gay’ former Rep. Aaron Schock and a supporter.
I haven’t personally verified the identities of the two people chatting in exchange, so, feel free to believe or not believe.
In the screen captures, Schock complains of how “mean and nasty” the gays have been to him in leaking his nude pics.
He also says he “hadn’t come to terms” with his sexuality when he cast anti-LGBTQ votes while in Congress, and was in the process of coming out to his family when video of him canoodling at Coachella surfaced.
In addition, the person says the ‘hatred’ aimed at him is based on his being a Republican.
In his post, Kenneth offers this spot-on counter-point to the whining:
Note to Aaron Schock: The perspective of queer people has always been consistent and clear: Even those who “preach tolerance, acceptance and compassion” don’t take kindly to having lawmakers vote to rob them of their rights, particularly when it is believed that said lawmaker was being hypocritical in his beliefs. If you think your coming out has been difficult, imagine someone’s parents finding out he/she is gay when they were booted from the U.S. military under “don’t ask, don’t tell,” which you voted to keep in place. Talk about humiliating. Whether you think you were “out” when you voted against LGBTQ rights is irrelevant as you are a gay man who surely knew what you were doing was shitty. If you truly don’t stand by your past votes, then why not denounce them?
The “hate” has always been about your anti-gay policies, not your party. But if you think the two are related, that’s perhaps something you need to grapple with. HRC didn’t give you a zero rating because of your stance on taxes and regulations.
According to Kenneth, the man who posted the screen caps verified its authenticity.
Homophobe Franklin Graham celebrated on his Facebook page the news that the Trump administration is rejecting requests from US embassies to fly the Pride flag during Pride Month.
“I want to thank President Donald J. Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for making the decision not to fly the gay flag over our embassies during June in recognition of gay pride month. That is the right decision.
“The only flag that should fly over our embassies is the flag of the United States of America.
“The gay pride flag is offensive to Christians and millions of people of other faiths, not only in this country but around the world. The U.S. flag represents our nation—everyone—regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation.”
What a dick.
You’re offensive to Jesus, you money grubbing fraud.
Because it has to be said again, corrupt MAGA loons like Jerry Falwell Jr and Franklin Graham use religion and faith as a hate for profit scam to get richer. A line in the Bible to them is either a pay day or a cover for their dirty deeds, period.
NBC News reports that the Trump administration is rejecting requests from U.S. embassies to fly the rainbow pride flag on embassy flagpoles during LGBTQ Pride Month.
The U.S. embassies in Israel, Germany, Brazil and Latvia are among those that have requested permission from Trump’s State Department to fly the pride flag on their flagpoles and have been denied, diplomats said.
Although the pride flag can and is being flown elsewhere on embassy grounds, including inside embassies and on exterior walls, the decision not to allow it on the official flagpole stands in contrast to President Donald Trump’s claim to be a leader in supporting LGBTQ rights overseas.
Trump’s administration has announced a campaign to decriminalize homosexuality overseas and this month issued a tweet and formal statement to “celebrate LGBT Pride Month and recognize the outstanding contributions LGBT people have made.”
The denials to U.S. embassies have come from the office of the State Department’s undersecretary for management, Brian Bulatao, a longtime associate of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo who also worked for him at the CIA. Under State Department policy, embassies that want to fly the flag on their flagpoles are expected to obtain permission from Washington.