Some news items you might have missed:
• The Advocate: Monkeypox cases are declining, and the new White House czar is totally qualified for the job, but conservatives are losing their mind over the out and proud Dr. Demetre Daskalakis.
• The Athletic: Minnesota hockey icon Jack Jablonski comes out as gay -“I’m finally being true to myself, having finally come to grips with who I am. It feels great to be able to be myself and not have to worry about hiding in the shadows.”
Minnesota hockey icon Jack Jablonski is coming out publicly Wednesday after years of “denial and ignorance” and deep depression.
“It’s just a fresh start and happiness in a world of hockey where gay people don’t exist.”
— The Athletic (@TheAthletic) September 7, 2022
• Law and Crime: A federal appellate court has upheld the constitutionality of a Washington state law that prohibits therapists from trying to change a minor’s sexual orientation or gender identity, ruling that the treatment is conduct, not protected speech.
• ABC News 12: A soldier in the U.S. Army wrote on Instagram that he joined the military “for combat experience so I’m more proficient in killing” Black people, investigators say.
• Axios: New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) has declared a state disaster emergency over polio after an unvaccinated individual tested positive for the virus and officials have detected samples of polio in the city’s wastewater.
Gov. Kathy Hochul declared a state disaster emergency over polio after an unvaccinated individual tested positive for the virus and officials have detected samples of polio in the city’s wastewater. https://t.co/jtdinhcJda
— Axios (@axios) September 9, 2022