Some news items you might have missed:
• Xtra: California may hold a referendum on same-sex marriage next year because its anti-marriage equality law Prop 8 is still on the books. If the Supreme Court reverses its Obergefell decision, Prop 8 goes back into effect.
• Variety: Universal’s horror-comedy “Cocaine Bear” blew past box office projections, earning an impressive $23 million in its opening weekend landing in second place on domestic charts behind Disney’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” which saw a brutal 69% decline from its debut.
#CocaineBear blew past box office projections, earning an impressive $23 million from 3,534 North American theaters in its opening weekend. https://t.co/36ohr7WhyS
— Variety (@Variety) February 26, 2023
• AP News: Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch stole Christmas! is getting a sequel.
• Washington Post: Newspapers across the U.S. have pulled Scott Adams’s long-running “Dilbert” comic strip after the cartoonist called Black Americans a “hate group” and said White people should “get the hell away from” them. Adams says “zero” newspapers may be carrying the comic by Monday.
“Dilbert” creator says his reputation is ‘destroyed’ after racist rant https://t.co/hWhvdkdPzZ
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) February 25, 2023
• Rolling Stone: During his first year as president, Donald Trump was reportedly so upset by Jimmy Kimmel’s comedic jabs that he directed his White House staff to call up top Disney top executives, on at least two occasions, to complain and demand action. Disney owns ABC where Kimmel’s show airs.
• Fox News: The first Fox News national survey on the 2024 presidential nomination races is out. Donald Trump tops the list with 43%, followed by Ron DeSantis at 28%, Nikki Haley and Mike Pence at 7% each, and Greg Abbott and Liz Cheney at 2% each.