Some news stories you might have missed:
• Florida Politics: After a new poll by Civiqs found 50% of Florida voters oppose a new ban on diversity, equity and inclusion programs at Florida universities, Cedar Key Progress, a liberal political committee, has sponsored six “We Say Gay” billboards up around the state through Pride Month.
— Florida Politics (@Fla_Pol) May 30, 2023
• Washington Post: The House voted 314-117 tonight to pass a bill to suspend the debt ceiling and avert a catastrophic U.S. government default. The bill now heads to the Senate, where lawmakers will rush to enact the legislation before Monday.
• Variety: Danny Masterson, former star of “That ’70s Show,” was convicted on two counts of forcible rape. The jury could not reach a verdict on a third rape charge. Masterson faces a possible sentence of 30 years to life in prison.
Danny Masterson, the former star of “That ’70s Show,” was convicted Wednesday on two counts of forcible rape. He faces a potential sentence of 30 years to life in prison on the two charges.https://t.co/QloLGffvFA pic.twitter.com/SjHhfDhCPr
— Variety (@Variety) May 31, 2023
• NBC News: Pentagon leaders have cancelled a drag show at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada. The show, in celebration of Pride Month, was approved by Air Force leaders, but Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin told the Air Force it is not Defense Department policy to fund drag shows on bases.
• CNN: Federal prosecutors have obtained an audio recording of a 2021 meeting where Donald Trump acknowledges he held onto a classified Pentagon document about a potential attack on Iran, undercutting his argument that he declassified everything.
• Florida Politics: Ron DeSantis’ super PAC is dragging Donald Trump with a new digital spot featuring drag queens. The new spot contends that Trump “did nothing to fight back against Disney’s woke agenda.”
Trump did nothing to push back against Disney's woke agenda.
Ron DeSantis is the fighter we need! pic.twitter.com/zzgEVYWmRi
— Never Back Down (@NvrBackDown24) May 31, 2023