Donald Trump has reportedly told Congress the “hostilities” between the U.S. and Iran that Trump initiated on February 28 have been “terminated.”
What he’s really doing is trying to justify not seeking Congressional authorization after the conflict reached a 60-day threshold.
NEW: Trump has notified Congress that the hostilities initiated against Iran on Feb. 28 have been “terminated,” though he did not rule out future military action. https://t.co/wyu4xSIhUy
— Axios (@axios) May 1, 2026
Via Axios:
Under the War Powers Act, the president must seek congressional approval for military hostilities that last longer than 60 days.
By declaring the hostilities over, Trump is effectively resetting the clock—potentially making it more difficult for Congress to challenge his authority or constrain further action through a war powers resolution.
“On April 7, 2026, I ordered a two-week ceasefire. The ceasefire has since been extended. There has been no exchange of fire between United States forces and Iran since April 7, 2026,” Trump wrote to Speaker Mike Johnson on Friday. “The hostilities that began on February 28, 2026, have terminated.”
Democrats disagree with that position saying the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz still constitutes hostilities.
Earlier this week, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth appeared to be previewing Trump’s stance telling the Senate Armed Services Committee that a ceasefire can “pause or stop” the 60-day clock.
HEGSETH: On Iran, we are in a ceasefire right now, which I understand means the 60 day clock pauses or stops
KAINE: I do not believe the statute would support that pic.twitter.com/1JGdThEdR9
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) April 30, 2026
EXCLUSIVE: Trump told Congress that the Iran war has “terminated” — an effort to justify not seeking authorization after the conflict reached a 60-day threshold. https://t.co/ixlQO2N3jO
— POLITICO (@politico) May 1, 2026
Discover more from The Randy Report
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
