Trump Offers Temporary DACA Relief In Exchange For His Permanent Wall To End #TrumpShutdown

Donald Trump, in a national address from the White House, offered a temporary extension of protections for some undocumented immigrants in exchange for $5.7 billion to fund his beloved wall.

From the New York Times:

In casting the proposal as a compromise, Mr. Trump sought to shift pressure to Democrats to end the government shutdown.

The president, delivering a 13-minute address from the White House, said he would extend the legal status of those facing deportation and support bipartisan legislation that would allow some immigrants who came to the United States illegally as children, known as Dreamers, to keep their work permits and be protected from deportation for three more years if they are revoked.

“That is our plan,” Mr. Trump said. “Straightforward, fair, reasonable and common sense with lots of compromise.” The proposal, Mr. Trump said, was intended to “break the logjam and provide Congress with a path forward.”

But he reiterated his demand for $5.7 billion in funding for a border barrier, and Speaker Nancy Pelosi said ahead of his remarks that she considered his proposal a “nonstarter,” in part because it offered no permanent pathway to citizenship for Dreamers.

I agree with Pelosi. If he wants a permanent wall, then we want permanent protections for the DACA Dreamers.

Last year, Republicans rejected a Democratic bill for $25 billion in border wall funding in return for DACA amnesty.

It’s worth noting that Trump himself started the issue with DACA. So, now he’s merely offering a temporary solution for a mess he made.

Trump Plans To Offer DACA Protections In Exchange For His Wall

Axios' Jonathan Swan is reporting Donald Trump plans to offer passage of the BRIDGE Act for DACA recipients to Democrats today in exchange for the $5.7 billion he wants for his beloved wall.
Donald Trump

Axios‘ Jonathan Swan is reporting Donald Trump plans to offer passage of the BRIDGE Act for DACA recipients to Democrats today in exchange for the $5.7 billion he wants for his beloved wall.

President Trump plans to use remarks from the Diplomatic Reception Room on Saturday afternoon to propose a notable immigration compromise, according to sources familiar with the speech.

Details: The offer is expected to include Trump’s $5.7 billion demand for wall money in exchange for the BRIDGE Act — which would extend protections for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) — and also legislation to extend the legal status of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders, according to a source with direct knowledge.

For their part, Dems are reportedly preparing to pass a package of six spending bills next week which will include an extra $1 billion for additional border security measures.

Donald Trump Once To Students: ‘Go Through A Concrete Wall’ And ‘Never Give Up’



The Daily Show found video footage of Donald Trump telling graduates back in 2004 to ‘never give up,’ even if there’s a ‘concrete wall in front of you.’

“Never, ever give up. Don’t give up. Don’t allow it to happen. If there’s a concrete wall in front of you, go through it, go over it, go around it. But get to the other side of that wall.”

Hmmm…

Trump: “I Never Said” Mexico Would Pay For The Wall

Donald Trump

Donald Trump told reporters today that he “never said” Mexico would pay for his beloved border wall.

“When during the campaign I would say Mexico is going to pay for it, obviously I never said this, and I never meant they’re going to write out a check,” said the Trumpster. “I said they’re going to pay for it – they are.”

Show of hands, please, does anyone recall Trump repeating over and over again, “Who’s gonna pay for the wall? Mexico! It’ll be so easy…”

From Trump’s campaign website, August 2016: “It’s an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion…”

Trump now says Mexico is “paying for the wall indirectly many, many times over by the really great trade deal we just made.”

Note: The USMCA has not been ratified by Congress, and so, it’s not currently in force.

Plus, any economic gains from the USMCA would go to private individuals and companies, not the U.S. Treasury.

Another Lie: Trump Says Former Presidents Wish They’d Built ‘The Wall’

Donald Trump

Donald Trump told reporters on Friday that former presidents have shared with him privately that they wish they had built a wall along the Mexican border.

“This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me and they all know it,” Trump said. “Some of them have told me that we should have done it.”

But spokesmen for three of the four living former presidents – Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama — say (guess what?) that has not happened.

From Politico:

Asked if Clinton told Trump that he should have built a border wall, Clinton spokesman Angel Ureña said, “He did not. In fact, they’ve not talked since the inauguration.”

Bush spokesman Freddy Ford also said the two men had not discussed the matter. And Obama, for his part, has not spoken with Trump since his inauguration, except for a brief exchange at George H.W. Bush’s funeral in Washington, D.C.

No official word from Jimmy Carter, but in September he said, “If I were president again, I’d change all of Trump’s policies.”

So, there you go.

*****************************************

UPDATE – January 7, 2019 – Jimmy Carter has weighed in officially now saying, “I have not discussed the border wall with President Trump, and do not support him on the issue.”

Trump Considering Declaring ‘National Emergency’ To Get Funds For His Border Wall

Donald Trump may declare a national emergency to fund his border wall
Donald Trump may declare a national emergency to fund his border wall

Donald Trump told the press today that he is considering declaring a national emergency in order to allocate funds to build his infamous ‘border wall.’

Trump didn’t offer details on how that process would work.

In related news, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer told the press today that Trump said in a meeting today regarding the current government shutdown that he “would keep the government shutdown for a very long period of time – months or even years.”

Democrats Plan To Pass Homeland Security Funding Bill First (But Trump Won’t Like It)

Donald Trump

According to The Washington Post, Democrats plan to pass a stopgap spending bill that would fund the Department of Homeland Security through February 8.

The Homeland Security bill will match the one passed by the Republican-controlled Senate before Christmas which includes $1.3 billion for border fencing and other security measures.

Six other funding bills are also in the pipeline to fund closed portions of the federal government through September 30.

It looks like Donald Trump got the memo. The Trumpster launched into another Twitter rant on the subject this morning.

He keeps saying Democrats should get back to Washington, but technically Paul Ryan is still the Speaker of the House.

Just saying…

By the way, that part about being “in the Oval Office?” Looks like it was another lie. White House reporter Brian Karem noted that there’s no Marine standing guard outside the Oval Office which is normal protocol when the president is in the West Wing.

Mexican President Cancels White House Visit After “Testy” Phone Call Over Border Wall

Donald Trump (L) and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto (R)

The tense relationship between Donald Trump and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto continues in “testy” territory as a tentative plan for Peña Nieto to visit the White House has been scrapped thanks to disagreement regarding Trump’s long-promised border wall.

From The Washington Post:

Peña Nieto was eyeing an official trip to Washington this month or in March, but both countries agreed to call off the plan after Trump would not agree to publicly affirm Mexico’s position that it would not fund construction of a border wall that the Mexican people widely consider offensive, said the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a confidential conversation.

Speaking by phone on Tuesday, Peña Nieto and Trump devoted a considerable portion of their roughly 50 minute conversation to the wall, and neither man would compromise his position.

One Mexican official said Trump “lost his temper.” But U.S. officials described him instead as being frustrated and exasperated, saying Trump believed it was unreasonable for Peña Nieto to expect him to back off his crowd-pleasing campaign promise of forcing Mexico to pay for the wall.

During a phone call in January 2017, Trump admitted to Peña Nieto that they both were “in a little bit of a bind” over the promised border wall.

“The fact is, we are both in a little bit of a political bind because I have to have Mexico pay for the wall,” Trump told Peña Nieto. “I have to. I have been talking about it for a two-year period. If you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that.”

Trump Wall 2.0 – Mexico Will “Eventually” Pay For Wall “In Some Form”

Donald Trump repeated over and over and over during the campaign that he would build a “big, beautiful wall” on the US/Mexico border, and Mexico would pay for it.

Welcome now to Trump Wall 2.0 where, according to a presidential tweet this morning, Mexico will “eventually” pay for the wall “in some form.”

Got it?

#liar

News Round-Up: April 18, 2017

Some news items you may have missed:

• Fitness model/trainer Lony Pizzaro makes a great distraction from Tax Day 2017.

• According to Tourism Economics, the U.S. economy could lose more than $18 billion and about 107,000 jobs this year and next year due to President Trump’s travel ban policy.

New York Magazine says Rupert Murdoch is now leaning towards firing Bill O’Reilly from his luxe Fox News job.

• A new poll shows 61% of adults living in Texas oppose President Trump’s plan to build a wall along the W.S./Mexico border. And yet, they voted for him.

• And speaking of Texas, did you hear the one about the idiot who stole a rainbow flag from flying at a church so he could leave an American flag in it’s place? With the flag was a note reading, “I didn’t agree with your flag so I took it down. If you don’t agree with this one, you can take it down. P.S. there are only 2 (two) genders.” No worries, though – the church figured it would happen some day, and had a backup Pride flag waiting in the wings.

• Even the cops get in on the act at New Orleans’ Easter Parade: