Mexico’s President Enrique Peña Nieto Cancels Meeting With President Trump
Earlier today, President Trump said it might be better to cancel his upcoming meeting on January 31 with Mexico’s President Enrique Peña Nieto if Mexico continues to resist paying for “The Wall” Trump has proposed to build along the United States’ southern border.
It has now been reported that Mexico’s Nieto has informed the White House he will not be attending the meeting.
In an interview Wednesday on ABC News, the president said that U.S. funds are necessary for beginning the construction of the wall. “I’m just telling you there will be a payment,” he said. “As soon as we can. As soon as we can physically do it.”
Pres. Trump: Construction of border wall to begin “in months”; Mexico will “absolutely” reimburse the U.S. for wall. https://t.co/H0uApVrTYu pic.twitter.com/GCK7ISnF8F— ABC News (@ABC) January 26, 2017
Tweet Of The Day: Who’s Paying For The Wall?
John Oliver Breaks Down The Numbers On The Infamous “Trump Wall”
John Oliver of HBOs Last Week Tonight breaks down one of the few “policy” proposals we have any kind of detail on from Donald Trump – the now infamous “Trump Wall.
Noting that Trump’s numbers on building the wall have changed over the past several months from $4-12 billion, crunching the figures leads to a much higher price tag – more like $26 billion.
And, then the actual maintenance doubles that figure over the first 7 years of the project.
Oliver also delves into the idea of “making” Mexico pay for the wall, and more.
Some funny stuff in here, but at the very least you come away realizing that even the few things Trump thinks he’s thought out, actually have no “there” there.