BREAKING: Shooting At Washington State High School

According to the Seattle Times, the gunman appears to have shot himself to death after injuring several at Marysville-Pilchuck High School:

A gunman believed to have opened fire at Marysville-Pilchuck High School Friday morning is dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to two law-enforcement sources.

Police have not released details, but there are reports of as many as seven other people shot about 10:45 a.m.

Three of the injured were taken by ambulance to Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, including one with a head wound.

Canada Mourns For Murdered Cpl. Nathan Cirillo

With flags flying at half-mast, Canada mourns the murder Cpl. Nathan Cirillo after yesterday’s terrifying shooting in Ottawa at Parliament.

Guns don’t kill people, 9 year old girls do

A gun instructor has been shot and killed by a nine year old girl who was getting a lesson on how to use an Uzi.

Charles Vacca, 39, of Lake Havasu City was shot Monday morning, airlifted to a medical center in Las Vegas and pronounced dead shortly before 9 p.m., the sheriff’s office said.

Vacca was working at the Bullets and Burgers outdoor range in White Hills, about 60 miles southeast of Las Vegas, when the accident occurred. The girl and her parents were at the range while on vacation, a sheriff’s spokeswoman told the Los Angeles Times.

He was standing next to the girl, instructing her how to use the Uzi, when she pulled the gun’s trigger and the recoil sent the weapon over her head, causing him to be shot, the sheriff’s office said.

“This is a rarity for something like this to happen,” the spokeswoman said.

You have to be 18 to join the armed forces; you have to be 21 to drink in most states; you have to be 16 to drive a car legally in most states; but with no regulation whatsoever, you can hand an Uzi to a 9 year old girl?

FYI – Bullets and Burgers hosts children’s birthday parties.

Because, what could possibly go wrong?

Possible audio recording of Michael Brown shooting surfaces

It is possible a recording of the actual shots fired at Michael Brown may have just surfaced.

According to CNN, an unidentified man, who has since been interviewed by the FBI, may have inadvertently  recorded the incident in which Michael Brown was shot by Officer Darren Wilson earlier this month.

The most interesting aspect of the short recording is what appears to be two separate, distinct sets gunfire from Officer Darren Wilson’s weapon.

From CNN:

In the recording, a quick series of shots can be heard, followed by a pause and then another quick succession of shots.

Forensic audio expert Paul Ginsberg analyzed the recording and said he detected at least 10 gunshots — a cluster of six, followed by four.

The man who recorded the shooting was talking to someone on video chat when the sounds of gunfire erupted in the background. The Daily Mail added:

Lopa Blumenthal, the attorney for the unidentified man who recorded the alleged gunfire nearby said that she believed the audio shows, if it is authentic, that Officer Wilson had a clear ‘point of contemplation’ while pulling the trigger and aiming at Brown.”

Watch a portion of the report on CNN below:

(via The Wire)

Missouri Gov. Nixon disagreed with the release of convenience store robbery video

Gov. Nixon of Missouri addresses the latest developments in the Michael Brown shooting debacle, including the release of video allegedly showing Brown stealing cigars from a shop.

Nixon said he and the Justice Department disapproved of the video’s release as it only served to somehow disparage the character of the shooting victim.

We and our security team and the highway patrol didn’t know that was going to be released, and I don’t think the Attorney General knew that. Quite frankly we disagree deeply I think for 2 reasons. Number one to attempt in essence to disparage the character in the middle of a process like this is not right. It’s just not right. And secondarily it did put the community and, quite frankly, the region and the nation on alert again. These are old wounds, these are deep wounds in these communities and that action was not helpful.

LGBT Advocacy Groups issue letter in support of slain Missouri teenager Michael Brown

18 year old Michael Brown

LGBT advocacy groups like the Human Rights Campaign, The Trevor Project, GLAAD, Center for Black Equity, Inc., PFLAG National and more have issued a statement in support of slain Missouri teenager Michael Brown and his family.

The shooting death of Brown has inflamed racial tensions across the country. The letter calls for a swift and thorough investigation.

When communities experience fear, harassment and brutality simply because of who they are or how they look, we are failing as a nation. In light of the recent events in Missouri, it is clearer than ever that there is something profoundly wrong in our country.

The lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community cannot be silent at this moment, because LGBT people come from all races, creeds, faiths and backgrounds, and because all movements of equality are deeply connected. We are all part of the fabric of this nation and the promise of liberty and justice for all is yet to be fulfilled.

The LGBT community stands with the family of Michael Brown, who was gunned down in Ferguson, Missouri. We stand with the mothers and fathers of young Black men and women who fear for the safety of their children each time they leave their homes. We call on the national and local media to be responsible and steadfast in their coverage of this story and others like it–racialized killings that have marred this nation since the beginning of its history. We call on policy makers on all levels of American government not to shrink from action, and we are deeply grateful to Attorney General Eric Holder and the Department of Justice for their immediate commitment to a thorough investigation.

At this moment, we are inspired by the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.: “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies … but the silence of our friends.”

The letter is signed by the following:

ACLU
AIDS United
Center for Black Equity, Inc.
Courage Campaign
Equality Federation
Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD)
GLAAD
GMHC
GLMA: Health Professionals Advancing LGBT Equality Human Rights Campaign
National Black Justice Coalition
National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR)
National Center for Transgender Equality
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
National Minority AIDS Council
National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (NQAPIA) PFLAG National
Pride at Work, AFL-CIO
Soulforce
Southerners on New Ground (SONG)
Trans People of Color Coalition
Transgender Law Center
Trevor Project

Las Vegas shooter interviewed by news during Bundy Ranch stand-off

Jerad and Amanda Miller (via Faceboo)

Saturday’s shooting near Nellis Air Force Base left two police officers and a civilian dead. The shooters have been identified as Jerad and Amanda Miller.

After shooting the two cops at a CiCi’s Pizza, the Miller’s covered the officers with a “Don’t Tread On Me” flag and a swastika.

According to the Las Vegas Review Journal, Jerad posted this to his Facebook page in early May:

“There is no greater cause to die for than liberty. To die for that cause is easy, to live for it is another matter. I will willingly die for liberty.

“Death, in a sense is freedom from tyranny. Death, is the easy way out. Most notably is the “suicide by cop” routine.

“Yes, standing before despots is dangerous and most likely does not end well for you. I know this, my wife knows this. Soon they will come for us, because they don’t like what we think, and what we say. They don’t like the fact that we, simply will not submit to fascist rule.

“We don’t have much, but we are willing to sacrifice everything…….for you, for your freedoms. Even if you wouldn’t let us have ours. We know who we are and what we stand for, do you?”

Local reporter Jon Ralston came across the interview below done during the Bundy Ranch standoff in Nevada some weeks ago.

Father of slain Santa Barbara shooting victim calls out politicians and NRA

Richard Martinez, father of 20-year old Christopher who died on Friday night after being shot by 22-year old Elliot Rodger in the recent Santa Barbara shooting, spoke to the press this weekend issuing the statement below.  From his remarks:

“Our son Chris Martinez and six others are dead,” Martinez told reporters in a speech he said was prepared by his family. “Our family has a message for every parent out there: You don’t think it will happen to your child — until it does.”

“Chris was a really great kid,” Martinez continued. “Ask anyone who knew him. His death has left our family lost and broken.”

“Why did Chris die? Chris died because of craven, irresponsible politicians and the NRA. They talk about gun rights. What about Chris’s right to live?

“When will this insanity stop? When will enough people say, ‘Stop this madness!’ Too many have died. We should say to ourselves, ‘Not one more!’”