Woman Assaults, Accuses Black Teen Of Stealing Her Phone Minutes Before Uber Driver Returns Her Phone

A white woman falsely accused a Black teen of stealing her cellphone
A white woman falsely accused a Black teen of stealing her cellphone
A white woman assaulted a Black teen over a cellphone (screen capture)

On Saturday, Grammy Award-winning jazz musician Keyon Harrold and his 14-year-old son were staying at the Arlo Soho in New York City when a woman (who had misplaced her cellphone) accused Harrold’s son of stealing her phone.

Harrold shared a one-minute video on his Instagram account showing the woman becoming unhinged demanding that the hotel manager take the boy’s phone and give it to her.

In the video, the hotel manager actually sides with the white woman and asked the teen to show his phone to the woman.

As Harrold and his son were walking away from the ugly encounter, the woman tackled the 14-year-old in an effort to reach into his pockets.

Minutes after the attack shown in the video an Uber driver dropped the woman’s phone off at the hotel. No, she did not apologize.

Now, I ask you – imagine if a Black man tackled a white woman’s child over a cell phone?

From Harrold’s Instagram post:

The lady in this video assaulted my 14-year-old son and me as we came down from our room in the @arlohotels Arlo Soho to get breakfast. This person quote on quote “lost” her iPhone, and apparently, my son magically acquired it, which merely ridiculous.

This incident went on for five more minutes, me protecting my son from this lunatic. She scratched me; she tackled and grabbed him. He is a child!!!

Now watch it again. This lady is not even a guest at the hotel. She checked out of the hotel on the 23rd of December; today is the 26th.

Now watch as the manager advocates for the lady who is not even a hotel guest, insisting and attempting to use his managerial authority to force my son to show his phone to this random lady. He actually empowered her!!! He didn’t even consider the fact we were actually the guests!

Now think about the trauma that my son now has to carry, only coming downstairs to have box day brunch with his dad.

Then… her phone was magically returned by an Uber driver a few minutes after this incident. No apology from her after this traumatic situation to my son, not me. No apologies from the establishment. This shit happens so often. It needs to stop!!!

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Keyon Harrold (@keyonharrold)

The hotel posted an ‘apology’ on its Instagram account a day later, clearly in damage control mode.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Arlo Hotels (@arlohotels)

Harrold told the New York Times on Sunday that it was clear his son had been racially profiled. “I wonder what would happen if it were different – if it were a Black woman and there was a white 14-year-old,” he said.

In Mr. Harrold’s video, the hotel manager can be seen identifying himself and asking the son to produce a cellphone, in an apparent attempt to verify the woman’s claim. But the manager had no reason to believe the woman, Mr. Harrold said.

“They assumed he was guilty,” Mr. Harrold said. “The management didn’t even question her as to why she would even think he had the phone.”

The woman has not been publicly identified. Both the police and the hotel declined to share a name, and Mr. Harrold said he did not know who she was or how to contact her.

A spokesperson for the Manhattan DA told NBC News that the office is “thoroughly investigating this incident.”

I’d love to hear why – other than her apparent racism – she believed the teen had her phone.

Border Patrol Settles Lawsuit After Detaining 2 American Women For Speaking Spanish

Two American women who were detained by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent for speaking Spanish in a convenience store in Montana have reportedly agreed to a settlement after suing the agency.

Martha “Mimi” Hernandez and Ana Suda and were buying groceries in a store in the town of Havre on May 16, 2018, when CBP Agent Paul O’Neal stopped them and asked for their IDs. He told the pair (on video) that he was stopping them because he overheard them “speaking Spanish which is very unheard of ‘up here.'”

Note – Hernandez was born in El Centro, California, and moved to Montana in 2010. Suda was born in El Paso, Texas, and moved to Montana in 2014.

USA Today reports that during the lawsuit, text messages were found on O’Neill’s phone that contained derogatory and racist language.

According to the ACLU, the lawsuit also found O’Neill belonged to a secret Facebook group called the “I’m 10-15,” where CBP agents and former agents shared ugly comments and joked about the deaths of migrants. The group has since been disbanded.

A video statement obtained by the ACLU showed a CBP supervisor admitting that his agents routinely viewed people speaking Spanish with suspicion in Havre, which is majority white but has a growing Latino population.

“[Havre] is a small place,” the CBP supervisor said on the video. “And we have a lot of agents here, and nobody really has much to do… I was sitting at the mall off duty with my family. I’m sitting there at the restaurant, I look up it’s — there’s two Mexicans. Maybe I should call about this.”

The amount of the settlement has not been disclosed. Hernandez and Suda eventually moved away from Havre after facing backlash for speaking out.

“Daddy, Look What You’ve Gotten Us Into!” Cries A Young Boy As His Father Calls Police On Black Man For ‘Trespassing’

Wesly Michel was waiting for a friend at their apartment building in San Francisco on July 4, when he encountered a racist assh*le who decided he needed to call the police because Michel was, basically, ‘waiting while black.’

Sadly, the son of the racist was with him at the time, and the son begged his father not to call the police or act out.

“Daddy, look what you’ve gotten us into. Let’s go!”

Michel, a 35-year-old software engineer, told CNN, “Unfortunately this incident mirrors the experience that African Americans endure daily where we are questioned on whether we belong. I videotaped this incident to protect myself and to support my story should police get involved.”

During the three-and-a-half-minute recording (which was posted to Michel’s Facebook page), the boy can be heard pleading with his father not to call police on Michel, whom the father says is a “trespasser” in his building that he describes as “appears to be African-American.”

From CNN:

Michel encountered the father and son on Independence Day as he says he was waiting on a friend at an apartment building in San Francisco. The video begins as the man asks Michel to identify the person he is there to see and to “please call your friend on the call box and have them come down and get you.”

“They don’t have to do that. You can just walk away,” Michel responds.

The man, who appears to be holding open the door to the building during the conversation, tells Michel he’s going to call the police.

“Daddy don’t!” the child says as the man pulls out his cell phone.

Michel welcomes the call and reminds the man that he is being recorded.

“You’re just gonna be the next person on TV, just remember that and you have your son with you,” Michel tells the man.

The man calls the police and tells them that Michel is a “trespasser,” who “tailgated” into the building, walking in as he was walking out.

As the man talks to police, his son begins pleading with him to leave and to not call police.

“Dad, don’t. Please go,” the boy says. “Daddy go. It’s the better; I agree with him, daddy.”

The boy begins to cry as his father describes Michel to police.

“Daddy, I don’t like this. Let’s go,” he says.

“Listen to your son, walk away,” Michel says. “I will stop this. I will stop the recording.”

Of course, Michel’s friend arrives (as the video is still recording) but there’s no apology from assh*le man.

As the father smirks, his young son continues to beg his father. “Told you. Let’s go now,” pleads the young boy. “Daddy, look what you’ve gotten us into. Let’s go!”

The police do not come to the scene. Assh*le man asks Michel to stop recording, but he continues anyway.

“Now you’re online forever,” says Michel.

My question is: if you truly think the man is trespassing and a danger, why are you continuing to stand within two feet of him with your VERY young son next to you???

Reading the comments on Michel’s Facebook page, the vast majority note that the son had the good sense that the father did not. Many also pointed out how traumatized the child was, but assh*le man wouldn’t relent even for his child.

Internet sleuths, including the folks at Essence, believe the man to be someone named Christopher Cukor. Several posters found his Linkedin profile as well as his Facebook page before the profile photo was changed.

The photos of the man do appear to be him, but I’m not out to dox anyone.

There is an interesting twist to the story.

IF the man is someone named Christopher Cukor, several people found an SF Gate news item from 2012 of a man named Peter Cukor, in the same area, who was killed by a black man after calling the police about a “strange man” on his property.

Peter Cukor had a son named Christopher Cukor, who would be about 44-years-old today.

That Christopher Cukor blamed the police for not responding to his father’s call and eventually sued the police department. It appears from the police transcript of the call that the elder didn’t communicate imminent danger. But when the black man returned, Cukor’s wife called saying her husband was being attacked, and the police responded.

According to the SF Gate report, the suspect was found mentally incompetent to stand trial. He mentioned to police he was looking for his fiancée Zoey. The man’s father told police his son didn’t have a fiancée and Zoey was a figment of his imagination.

The attacker’s family told authorities he had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia five years earlier and they had asked authorities to remove him from the streets while he was treated, reports SF Gate.

That is a sad story. But, I don’t believe that justifies living the rest of your life assuming all black men pose violent danger to you.

Mississippi: White Woman Pulls A Gun On Black Couple Having Picnic At Lake

A white female campground manager in Mississippi pulled a gun on a black couple and their dog accusing them of not having a reservation to picnic at the lake.
(screen capture)

A white female campground manager in Mississippi pulled a gun on a black couple and their dog accusing them of not having a reservation to picnic at the lake.

Jessica Richardson filmed the woman approaching her and her husband with a gun at the Kampgrounds of America in Starkville, Mississippi, on Sunday. Her husband, Sgt. Franklin Richardson, had just returned from a 9-month deployment in the Middle East and they were simply looking to enjoy the holiday weekend.

Brandishing her pistol, the woman told the couple to leave when she found out they didn’t have a reservation.

According to reports, the manager has since been fired.

Richardson posted the video to Facebook with the following caption:

“RACISM IS ALIVE AND WELL!! Today was a beautiful day so my husband (who’s a vet), our 2 year old dog, and myself, decided to Google a lake to visit and have a picnic. We found a lake located in Starkville and decided to visit. Not five mins later a truck pulls up and a white lady screams at us, she then jumps out of her truck with a gun… and proceeded to point it at the 3 of us, simply because we didn’t make reservations. After leaving, my husband stopped by the office and talked with her husband (they’re the property managers). The husband tells my husband that reservations aren’t needed for the lake.”

Click the image below to watch the video.

One Twitter user says he identified the woman as Ruby Howell, whose Facebook profile describes as a Christian who loves the Confederate flag.

Donald Trump Diagnoses America’s Racial Tensions

Ladies and gentlemen of the Republican party – your ‘brilliant’ presidential candidate.

His watered down, simplistic approach to this deep, complex, visceral issue is almost painful to read.

The quote, via CNN:

“It just seems that there’s a lack of spirit between the white and the black. I mean, it’s a terrible thing that we’re witnessing,” he said. “You are seeing it, I’m seeing it, and you look at what went on last night in Charlotte, a great place, and you just see it. There’s somewhat — and I see it even going out. There’s such a lack of spirit. There’s a lack of something, something that’s going on that’s bad, and what’s going on between police and others is getting worse.”

Trump went on to suggest stop-and-frisk as a viable tool to stopping crime in America.

New York City’s controversial stop-and-frisk program led tons of complaints that the practice led to racial profiling.

In 2013, a federal judge ruled the practice was unconstitutional as data bore out that it unlawfully targeted blacks and Latinos.

Trump’s answer to America’s criminal and/or racial woes is to enact some version of an unconstitutional practice. As he attempts to woo the black vote, he’s saying “relinquish your civil liberties.”

Texas: High School Freshman Erroneously Detained By Police For Science Project Invited To White House

A high school freshman at MacArthur High School in Irving, Texas, was detained and taken into custody for bringing a clock that he had made to school to show his science teachers.

The young man, who excels at science, was apparently questioned for hours at a juvenile detention center before his parents were allowed to take him home.

Irving Police spokesman Officer James McLellan issued a statement saying, “We attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only tell us that it was a clock.”

That would be, perhaps, because it WAS a clock.

After the story blew up, President Obama invited the student to come to the White House, and Hillary Clinton encouraged him to “stay curious and keep building.” Additionally, he has been invited to Facebook headquarters and to NASA.

His sisters set up a Twitter account for their brother, which instantly ballooned to over 27,000 followers.

Why, you have to wonder, would a science project garner such a knee jerk reaction from the authorities?

Oh – did I mention the student’s name is Ahmed Mohamed?

No. No racial profiling going on there. Uh-uh.

Responding to the outpouring of support, the high school freshman tweeted, “Thank you for your support! I really didn’t think people would care about a muslim boy.”

I don’t know about you, but I find that heartbreaking.

Imagine if the boy had been a blond, blue-eyed kid named John Smith.

A few years ago, a white All-American boy named Taylor Wilson built a nuclear reactor at his home and actually received encouragement from the Department of Energy. Wilson was never detained or questioned by the authorities, mind you.

You can see Ahmed tell his story to the Dallas Morning News below.

Macklemore & Lewis denounce racial profiling during acceptance of American Music Award

Last night, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis accepted their American Music Award for Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album via satellite feed and the mood took a serious tone, as the duo addressed the topics of racial profiling and specifically Trayvon Martin:

“Thank you to the AMAs. It has been an absolutely incredible year,” Macklemore began. “I feel extremely blessed to be accepting an award at the AMAs. And now that I’m sitting here in front of millions of people, I’d like to address something extremely important to me.

“I was talking to my friend before the show, and he reminded me of a great Martin Luther King quote: ‘Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.’ And due to the fact that we are in Florida tonight accepting this award, I want to acknowledge Trayvon Martin and the hundreds and hundreds of kids that are dying each year due to racial profiling and the violence that follows it.

“This is really happening — our friends, our neighbors, our peers, our fans — and it’s time that we look out for the youth and fight against racism and the laws that protect it.”