Miami Beach Honors Man Who Defended Gay Couple During Pride Parade Attack

Helmut Muller Estrada (center) honored for defending a gay couple in homophobic attack after Miami Beach Gay Pride Parade
Helmut Muller Estrada (center) honored for defending gay couple
in homophobic attack after Miami Beach Gay Pride Parade

When Dmitry Logunov and Rene Chalarca were attacked by four men after the Miami Beach Pride Parade earlier this month, a good samaritan named Helmut Muller Estrada jumped in to defend the gay couple.

His actions helped to contain the incident even though he found himself with his own hospital-level injuries requiring stitches to his head.

At the time, Estrada told CBS Miami: “To step up for those guys, I thought it was the right thing to do. I try my best. On sex and religion, I hope they get along someday.”

On Wednesday, the City of Miami Beach honored Estrada with a Miami Beach medallion.

Speaking at the ceremony,  Commissioner Michael Gongora cited Estrada for “for acts of heroism, bravery and significant contributions to our city.”

The four men who attacked Chalarca and Logunov turned themselves in to police and face possible felony assault charges.

Watch the report from the local CBS affiliate in Miami below:

Miami Beach Gay Bashers Charged With Aggravated Felony Battery

Four men accused of a violent gay bashing after Miami Beach Pride this past Sunday have been released on bond after being arrested and charged with felony aggravated battery.

Miami’s local ABC affiliate WSVN reports that the young men accused of a violent gay bashing after Miami Beach Pride this past Sunday have been released on bond after being arrested and charged with felony aggravated battery.

The four men — who police identified as 20-year-old Luis Alonso, 21-year-old Adonis Diaz, 21-year-old Juan C. Lopez and 21-year-old Pablo Reinaldo Romo — bonded out of jail on Wednesday. According to a Miami Beach Police spokesperson, all four men are facing aggravated battery felony charges.

Each of the four men were being held on $7,500 bond.

Surveillance cameras outside the Miami Beach bathroom, located near the beach along Ocean Drive and Sixth Street, recorded the assault on Sunday night.

Investigators said the subjects yelled an anti-gay slur in Spanish before the brawl ensued.

The State Attorney’s Office is still deciding whether the suspects will be charged with a hate crime.

You can find my original reports on the attack here and here.

Florida State Attorney Kathy Rundle promises all hate crime aspects of the attack will be evaluated throughly.

Miami Beach Gay Bashers Surrender To Police

The four men arrested for violent post-Pride hate crime on Sunday

The Miami Beach Police Department announced this evening that the four men caught on surveillance video violently attacking two gay men after the city’s Pride Parade on Sunday afternoon have turned themselves in through an attorney.

The four men – identified as Juan C. Lopez, Adonis Diaz, Pablo Reinaldo Romo, all 21, and Luis M. Alonso, 20 – will likely face felony assault charges.

According to reports earlier today, the police were considering the attack a hate crime as at least one of the assailants used the Spanish word for “faggot” as punches were thrown.

The victims, Rene Chalarca and Dmitry Logunov, attempted to escape but were chased by the four attackers. A passerby who witnessed the attack tried to stop the men but was beaten and left bloody himself with several cuts and bruises needing medical attention.

Unfortunately, with the news of the arrests also comes disturbing reports about the anti-gay attitude of the Miami Beach Police officers who answered the call.

From South Florida Gay News:

At one point a female officer told Logunov to “stop the drama, shut the fuck up.” Another officer repeated that to him a few minutes later. One of the officers also told him to “put ice on your face at home and you’ll be alright.”

“This is a terrible crime, as such, we are dedicating our full efforts to capturing the attackers. The Miami Beach Police Department prides itself on its inclusion of everyone,” a spokesperson for the Miami Beach Police Department said. “If anyone feels mistreated by any of our officers, they are encouraged to contact MBPD’s Internal Affairs unit so that any complaint can be addressed immediately.”

Miami Beach City Commissioner Michael Gongora also weighed in saying “I am disturbed by this and have sent to the Police Chief for investigation. Being Miami Beach’s first and only openly gay commissioner it’s important to me that our community be safe and treated well – especially during Gay Pride.”

Later after an ambulance arrived the paramedics treated the couple at the scene and also told them they’d be OK and to just go home, put ice on their faces, or they could pay $800 and go to the hospital.

The paramedics, though, were wrong.

Later the couple decided to go to the hospital on their own, where it was discovered Chalarca had a broken tear duct and was told to try not to cry or get emotional. He may need surgery.

Miami Beach: Two Gay Men Violently Attacked In Hate Crime After Pride Parade

Surveillance photo of hate crime attackers
Click image to enlarge

Two gay men were the victims of a violent hate crime on Sunday evening in Miami Beach following the city’s Pride Parade.

From The Miami Herald:

In video footage of the incident, four young men — one wearing a Florida International University T-shirt — are seen walking up to a bathroom area on Ocean Drive and Sixth Street at about 7:40 p.m. Sunday. Two other men walk out, and are immediately attacked by the four. One of the attackers shouts a Spanish slur used to refer to LGBT men before he and the other attackers begin repeatedly punching the two men.

When the two victims, who sustained multiple injuries to their faces, began to run away, the attackers chased them, Miami Beach police said.

One of the victims told NBC 6 News that he and his partner were holding hands when they were attacked.

“For me, the way we were dressed and everything and we were together, for me it was like, yes, it was a hate crime,” he said.

Police are asking for help to identify the men involved in the attack. Three are described as Hispanic white males, each about 5 foot 8, and between the ages of 19 and 24. Anyone with information should call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.

A bystander, 29-year-old Helmut Muller, tried to intervene and stop the attack but the attackers turned on him knocking him out cold. Muller woke up in a pool of his own blood and eventually spent six hours at the hospital getting staples in his head to stop the bleeding.

The attackers now face felony battery charges. As mentioned above, if anyone has any info that could lead to the arrest of the men, please call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.

You can see surveillance footage of the attack in the two local news reports below.

Mid-Day Brain Break: Gus Kenworthy Crowd Surfs At Miami Beach Pride

Woofy Gus Kenworthy checked crowd surfing off his bucket list this weekend as he handled his Grand Marshall duties at Miami Beach Pride.

Watch below as Gus totally trusts his fans to “handle” him.

Gus Kenworthy Named Grand Marshal For Miami Beach Gay Pride Parade

Miami Beach Gay Pride has announced woofy out Olympian Gus Kenworthy will serve as Grand Marshal for the event on April 10.

According to a press release from the pride committee, the Olympic silver medalist is “thrilled to lead the parade at Miami Beach Gay Pride.”

NBC6 weekend anchor Roxanne Vargas will join Kenworthy for the parade as this year’s ally grand marshal.

For its 10-year anniversary, Miami Beach Gay Pride 2018 will feature a week’s worth of events, April 2-8, which include highlights such as Pride Lights the Night, a tribute to the PULSE nightclub victims; the Miss Pride drag pageant; a Friday night VIP Gala; Saturday beach party and festival; and Sunday parade and festival.

Disco legend Thelma Houston (“Don’t Leave Me This Way”) will perform at 8PM on the pride mainstage.

Gay Couple Attacked In Miami Beach Burger King

A casual kiss between two men at a Burger King in Miami Beach upset a customer so much he verbally attacked the men and then slammed one of them to the ground, beating him for over a minute.

From WSVN News in Miami:

A fight involving two people at a Miami Beach fast food restaurant may have been fueled by hate, said police. According to officials, two men were inside a Burger King Whopper Bar on Miami Beach when suddenly an attacker slammed one of them to the ground.

Police said the victim followed the attackers onto Washington Avenue, but the suspects got away. “Once we have the subjects in custody, and we present the case to the state attorney,” said Rodriguez, “we can determine at that point if they will add the hate crime element to this case, which would heighten the penalties.”

The couple has since returned home to California. The police department said an attack, especially one which may be based on sexual orientation, has no place on Miami Beach. “We want a clear message that we want any visitor, any resident here on Miami Beach, or I mean, Dade County for that matter as a whole, everyone is welcomed here and there’s no place for hate,” said Rodriguez.

You can watch security camera footage here.