Herman Cain, Former Presidential Hopeful, Dies Of COVID-19

Herman Cain (image via Facebook)

Herman Cain,  former CEO of the Nebraska-based Godfather’s Pizza and former 2012 Republican presidential hopeful, has died from complications from COVID-19. He was 74.

From NBC News:

Last month, Cain had tested positive for COVID-19, just a little over a week after he had attended a Trump campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma on June 20.

While there’s no way to pinpoint exactly where he contracted the virus, Cain posted a photo of himself with others at the event, which showed him without a mask on.

More than 150,000 people in the U.S. have died from COVID-19.

An unabashed social conservative, he opposed same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

Cain had recently joined conservative news outlet Newsmax TV and was set to launch a weekly show before he died in an Atlanta-area hospital where he had been critically ill for several weeks.

Herman Cain to join Fox News

Get ready for the return of that hot cup of crazy because Fox News has added Herman Cain to their cast of crackpots pundits.

Fox News continued its talent overhaul this week when they announced they were officially hiring former GOP presidential primary candidate Herman Cain as a paid contributor for the network. The addition of Cain comes less than a month after Fox decided not to renew the contract of another Tea Party favorite: Sarah Palin. In a statement Bill Shine, Fox News’ executive vice-president of programming, praised Cain as “a valuable addition” to the network. “As a political expert with business savvy, he brings an important voice to the nation’s debates,” Shine said.

Mr. “9-9-9” Cain has issued a statement celebrating his new gig, calling it “an opportunity to be one more voice for intelligent thinking in America.”

Andy Borowitz: A farewell from Herman Cain

Andy Borowitz is one of the funniest people you can read on the internet. Here’s just a snippet from his latest post that he wrote as “the first draft of Herman Cain’s speech:”

I mean, let’s get real. I never heard of Libya. I didn’t know whether that CNN dude’s name was Wolf or Blitz. And my only training for running the #1 nation in the world was running its #8 pizza chain. Yet none of that, I repeat, none of that disqualified me. In fact, I was the front-fucking-runner, as long as I kept my 9-9-9 in my pants. (I have no idea what I meant by that — I just like saying 9-9-9.)

But here’s the part that really kills me. You’re kicking me to the curb because I was messing around, and instead you’re going with… Newt Gingrich? I repeat: are you fucking kidding me? Oh, I know what you’re saying: you love Newt because he’s an “intellectual.” Well, Newt Gingrich is the intellectual of the Republican field the way Moe was the intellectual of the Stooges.

Read the entire “speech” here.

Jonathan Capehart on Herman Cain’s “friendship” with Ginger While

From Mediaite: MSNBC contributor Jonathan Capehart had a word of warning for sex scandal plagued Republican candidate Herman Cain on Friday: he better watch out for his wife Gloria!

“When Herman Cain goes home tonight and there’s a plate or pot of hot grits on the stove or on the table, he better run!” Capehart exclaimed. “And fast!”

Jansing earlier asked Capehart about his Washington Post column entitled “Stupid People Are Ruining America” — named after a Herman Cain quip. In his piece, Capehart writes, ““Stupid people are ruining America,” said Herman Cain this week. Truer words have never been spoken by the former front runner for the Republican nomination.”

“Stupid people would try to have you believe that a 13-year affair with a woman who is not your wife to whom you’re giving money over the last 2 1/2 years and sharing text messages — some as early as 4:26 in the morning — is just your normal, everyday friendship.”

National Review: Herman Cain “reassessing” whether to stay in GOP race

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee declared on Fox News that White’s charge was “the most damaging allegation that has been made, to date” about Cain.

Fox host Sean Hannity, a prominent Cain booster, said the renewed scandal “chipped away at his likability” and “created doubt in people’s mind whether or not, quote, another shoe will drop.”

Iowa talk-radio host Steve Deace told POLITICO Tuesday morning that an equivocal, defensive statement Cain’s attorney issued Monday would be a “kill-shot to his campaign.”

“I think it just accelerates the rate of decline for Herman Cain. His handling of the previous allegations was embarrassing. Even more embarrassing is his lack of knowledge on virtually any issue other than his 9-9-9 plan,” said Deace, who told POLITICO earlier this month that Cain had made “inappropriate” comments to women on the staff of his show. “The statement from his lawyer is the likely kill-shot to his campaign. For an ordained Baptist minister to assert through his attorney that what happens in his private sex life doesn’t matter is preposterous.”

More at Politico

New Herman Cain accuser steps forward – alleges 13 year affair

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, Atlanta reporter Dale Russell sat down with Ginger White, who had an amazing story to tell – she alleges a 13 year affair with Herman Cain while he was married.

“It was pretty simple,” White said. “It wasn’t complicated. I was aware that he was married. And I was also aware I was involved in a very inappropriate situation, relationship.”

Russell also talks to Herman Cain, who denies the affair. Cain’s attorney, Lin Wood, released the following statement to just moments ago:

“Mr. Cain has been informed today that your television station plans to broadcast a story this evening in which a female will make an accusation that she engaged in a 13-year long physical relationship with Mr. Cain. This is not an accusation of harassment in the workplace – this is not an accusation of an assault – which are subject matters of legitimate inquiry to a political candidate.

Rather, this appears to be an accusation of private, alleged consensual conduct between adults – a subject matter which is not a proper subject of inquiry by the media or the public. No individual, whether a private citizen, a candidate for public office or a public official, should be questioned about his or her private sexual life. The public’s right to know and the media’s right to report has boundaries and most certainly those boundaries end outside of one’s bedroom door.

Mr. Cain has alerted his wife to this new accusation and discussed it with her. He has no obligation to discuss these types of accusations publicly with the media and he will not do so even if his principled position is viewed unfavorably by members of the media.”

This time, Herman Cain isn’t waiting an accusers press conference to make news of the latest accusation made against him, going to CNN on Monday afternoon to announce: “This individual is going to accuse me of an affair for an extended period of time.” Cain added, “We will respond” when specifics are known.

Former boyfriend of Cain accuser backs her story

Victor Zuckerman said today he backs ex-girlfriend Sharon Bialek’s allegation that Herman Cain “touched her in an inappropriate manner.”

Zuckerman, a pediatrician, came forward after Cain last week denied knowing Bialek.

The GOP presidential candidate said the incident Bialek described from 1997 “simply did not happen.”

Bialek, a Chicago-area woman, came forward last week and alleged Cain put his hand up her skirt and groped her when she asked his help in finding a job.

In a statement read to reporters in Shreveport, La., Zuckerman says Bialek went to dinner with Cain in Washington and returned “upset. She said Mr. Cain had touched her in an inappropriate manner.”

The doctor, who described himself as a Republican, said he came forward to “aid the public in evaluating the statements previously made by Mr. Cain and Ms. Bialek.”

Allred says Bialek’s allegations are relevant because Cain is running for president.

Zuckerman says Bialek was “livid” hearing Cain deny claims of sexual harassment, which is what he says prompted her to come forward last week. The doctor says he was the one who suggested she contact Allred.

More at USAToday