San Diego: GOP Candidate Carl DeMaio Struggles On Many Campaign Fronts

Openly gay GOP Congressional candidate Carl DeMaio

Gay Republican candidate Carl DeMaio is having troubles with his campaign on more than one front.

First of all, the LGBT community is not fond of him. There has been no “rallying around the gay candidate” in this case. Apparently, he’s very unlikeable and his policies don’t jive with the community.

Second, there’s the current scandal going on right now as he has been accused of sexual harassment of a former staffer. Not the news you want in the headlines just weeks before an election.

And then there’s the issue of a comment he made at a fundraising event where he said if elected he would owe “everything” to the Tea Party.

Three strikes, you’re out Mr. DeMaio.

See the report by NPR below.

Ad:”Republicans Are People” – And Also Stock Photo Models It Seems

Conservatives wanted to remind people that “Republicans Are People Too” with an ad campaign insisting that Republicans recycle and have tattoos.

But as The Daily Banter pointed out, the woman the ad used to prove that “Republicans are black” is actually a very popular stock photo.

Her image is featured on the Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys‘ website and a promotion for a discount on glasses.

And unsurprisingly, TPM found that the other every-man Republicans featured in the ads were also stock photos.

The “Republican” reading the New York Times? Stock photo…

The “Republican” tattoos and beard guy? Stock photo…

Oh, and the “Republican” who drives a Prius? Yep. Stock photo…

So, it’s very possible none of the folks in the ad campaign are really Republicans.

Or – maybe the message the GOP is trying to send is that a lot of Republicans are fake?

Not really sure at this point.

(via Talking Points Memo)

Candidate for Congress: Homo-con Carl DeMaio is “Independent”

Openly gay GOP US House candidate Carl DeMaio closes his newest attack ad by reminding you that he’s “independent.”

I’m not sure how “independent” he is, in that he told a group of tea baggers that he “owes everything” to the Tea Party.

But you know, he’s independent.

Plus, you’ll remember DeMaio reported a break-in at his campaign offices earlier this year. It was then reported that authorities believe the break-in was staged by his own staffers.

(h/t JMG)

Wisconsin: 19 Year-Old Republican State Assembly Candidate Cancels Campaign Over Racist/Homophobic Comments

Jacob Dorsey

A 19-year-old Republican candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly has ended his campaign after racist and homophobic comments he had made on Twitter and YouTube came to light.

From LGBTQNation:

Jacob Dorsey told The Janesville Gazette on Tuesday he was ending his campaign for the Assembly, just five days after apologizing for a Christmas Day 2013 tweet in which he said “fags need 2 leave my favorite state alone.”

Dorsey was commenting on Twitter after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit refused to issue a stay in a federal court ruling last year striking down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage.

“I have decided to withdraw from the race due to insensitive remarks that have surfaced from years past,” Dorsey said in a statement to The Gazette. “This race has been extremely hard on my family and myself.”

Although Dorsey tried to add some “spin” that his comments were from “years ago,” some of the comments were posted just five months before he announced his candidacy.

Clearly the young man is still on the immature side of life and not qualified to hold public office.

Dorsey says he plans to return to school to pursue a degree, having taken the semester off to run for public office.

See some of his YouTube comments below:

GOP-led House Committee on Veterans Affairs votes down equal benefits for same-sex spouses

The House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, by a vote of 13-12, rejected an amendment that would update Title 38 of the U.S. Code to ensure that spousal benefits of gay, lesbian and bisexual veterans would be available no matter the state of residence.

Committee Chairman Jeff Miller (R-Fla.) said he opposed the amendment because it would interfere with states that have enacted laws related to marriage.

Section 103(c) of Title 38 of the U.S. Code governs veterans benefits. And currently, the code is dictated by the state of residence, not the state of celebration.

 In other words, veterans benefits for spouses are predicated on where you live, not where you got married. So even if you are legally married, if your current state of residence
doesn’t recognize same-sex marriage, those same-sex spouses are out of luck in regards to receiving the same benefits afforded heterosexual veterans and their spouses.

Lori Hensic, director of research and policy for the LGBT military group known as the American Military Partner Association, issued this statement:

“The ability of our nation’s veterans, no matter their sexual orientation, to access their earned benefits should be an issue that transcends partisan politics,” Hensic said. “It’s a sad reflection on the state of our Congress when our elected officials cannot put aside their differences to end this discrimination.”

(via Washington Blade)

Former GOP adviser James Richardson whines that he doesn’t have equal marriage rights

James Richardson – a former spokesman/adviser for Gov. Haley Barbour, Gov. Jon Huntsman and the Republican National Party – penned a “pity party” op-ed for the Washington Post this week bemoaning the fact that living in Georgia he can’t get married to the person he loves – because he’s gay.

Richardson admits that his resume puts him in an atypical position to complain about his lack of marriage rights. In his essay, Richardson writes “As a former spokesman for the Republican National Committee and adviser to prominent party figures, I’m also a professional political operative who’s helped install in government those who perpetuate marriage bias in America.”

But now he says “I feel forced to out myself.”

Oh my! Forced!

After serving years with the party that would deny him many rights based on his sexual orientation – presumably because he put his desire to make money over his need for equal rights – NOW he feels “less than.”

 NOW he wants to jump on the “right side of history.”

“For my admission here, I will alienate friends whose faiths regard my sexuality as culturally corrosive. I’ll suffer the snickering of those across the aisle whose politics regard my own as personally injurious. And conservative clients may regard me as a liability. After all, the tide is not as unidirectional as people say.”

Isn’t that awful? He may “alienate” friends for being himself.

My advice? Get better friends.

Along the way, Richardson makes sure his coming out doesn’t miss noting his “just like you” factor by making sure to inform the reader that he goes to college football games and church every Sunday.

And yet, he still feels that he may lose friends by coming out.

On one hand, yes – welcome to the daylight James. Welcome to being who you are.

On the other hand, please know LGBT folks aren’t “snickering” at you. We’re just not impressed with your sniveling, late-in-the-game, cowardly whining. There’s a word that describes people like you – “Quisling.”  Go look it up.

Don’t cry about how politicians you helped get elected deny you rights. Start doing something about it.

We’ll see how we feel about you once you balance the tally sheet on marriage equality.

I know everyone comes out on their own schedule.  But, everyone doesn’t empower those who would deny millions rights, then cry when they want to have those rights now denied.

GOP-led House Intelligence Committee finds no White House wrongdoing on Benghazi

I can’t IMAAAAAGINE why I haven’t seen this story on Fox News.

 I mean, it IS about Benghazi.

From San Francisco Chronicle:

The House Intelligence Committee, led by Republicans, has concluded that there was no deliberate wrongdoing by the Obama administration in the 2012 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, said Rep. Mike Thompson of St. Helena, the second-ranking Democrat on the committee.

The panel voted Thursday to declassify the report, the result of two years of investigation by the committee. U.S. intelligence agencies will have to approve making the report public.

Thompson said the report “confirms that no one was deliberately misled, no military assets were withheld and no stand-down order (to U.S. forces) was given.”

MSNBC’s Steve Benen wrote yesterday:

Taken together, the deadly violence in Benghazi two years ago has now been investigated by the House Intelligence Committee, the Senate Intelligence Committee, the independent State Department Accountability Review Board, the Senate Armed Services Committee, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, the House Armed Services Committee, the House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform, and the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.

How many of them uncovered evidence of a cover-up? None.

Congressman Don Young apologizes after twisting arm of young congressional aide

Republican Congressman Don Young of Alaska made news yesterday after grabbing and twisting the arm of a young congressional staffer who blocked his entrance to a closed-door meeting.

Via Mediaite:

Young had briefly left an off-the-record GOP meeting about the border crisis and attempted to re-enter through a side door, and according to House rules, members are not allowed to re-enter through that door while a meeting is in progress.

The aide was stationed outside the door to prevent people from using it — a fact that Young was seemingly unaware of, as a Vine captured by NBC producer Frank Thorp depicts:

In the aftermath of the video and photos being released, Young issued this apology:

“While returning to the GOP conference meeting to discuss the ongoing situation on our southern border, I was caught off guard by an unidentified individual who was physically blocking me from reentering the room,” Young said in a statement. “Regardless, my reaction was wrong, and I should have never placed my hands on the young man.”

Rep. Eric Cantor resigns from Congress effective August 18

Former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has not only announced resigned his GOP leadership position. Today he announced his resignation from Congress – effective August 18th – and he’s getting the hell outta Dodge:

Cantor said he has asked Gov. Terry McAuliffe to call a special election for his district that coincides with the general election on Nov. 4.

By having a special election in November, the winner would take office immediately, rather than in January with the next Congress. “That way he will also have seniority, and that will help the interests of my constituents (because) he can be there in that consequential lame-duck session,” Cantor said.

Cantor’s resignation marks the end of a successful 14-year congressional run that included his role as House majority leader for more than three years and the prospect of becoming the next speaker of the House.

Cantor had not faced a close challenge since he was first elected in 2000. But Dave Brat, an economics professor from Henrico County, toppled the incumbent in a Republican primary on June 10.