Megyn Kelly, the former Fox News star, told her Megyn Kelly Today audience on NBC that while Fox News Corp. promised many that the work environment for female workers would improve after ousting network head Roger Ailes, and hosts Bill O’Reilly & Eric Bolling, no real change has happened.
In an emotional address, Kelly confirmed to her viewers, “O’Reilly’s suggestion that no one ever complained about his behavior is false. I know because I complained.”
Kelly also shared that victims are often bullied into silence through “fear of public shaming, including through the media.” She named names and pointed fingers at Irena Briganti, Fox’s media relations chief, who she says “is known for her vindictiveness.”
“To this day [Briganti] pushes negative articles on certain Ailes accusers like the one you are looking at right now,” Kelly said.
Kelly’s monologue comes on the heels of a bombshell report in the New York Times which revealed that O’Reilly paid a $32 million settlement to one woman, Lis Wiehl, just before Fox News resigned him to a huge new contract. Fox News was aware of the basic terms of the settlement, if not the exact amount.
Just six months after Fox News head Roger Ailes was ejected from his lofty position at the conservative news network, prime-time host Bill O’Reilly agreed to pay a $32 million settlement to a network analyst over new sexual harassment allegations.
New York Magazine is reporting this morning that Fox News has decided to cut ties with beleaguered host Bill O’Reilly in light of the many allegations of sexual misconduct leveled at him.
The Murdochs have decided Bill O’Reilly’s 21-year run at Fox News will come to an end. According to sources briefed on the discussions, network executives are preparing to announce O’Reilly’s departure before he returns from an Italian vacation on April 24. Now the big questions are how the exit will look and who will replace him.
Wednesday morning, according to sources, executives are holding emergency meetings to discuss how they can sever the relationship with the country’s highest-rated cable-news host without causing collateral damage to the network. The board of Fox News’ parent company 21st Century Fox is scheduled to meet on Thursday to discuss the matter.
Inside sources say Rupert Murdoch was leaning to keeping O’Reilly as recently as last week, but his two sons have apparently lobbied hard to drop the conservative TV host as news spread that O’Reilly had paid out more than $13 million to end sexual harassment lawsuits.
According to the above article, the powers that be may not give the 21-year Fox News veteran a sign-off show.
• And speaking of Texas, did you hear the one about the idiot who stole a rainbow flag from flying at a church so he could leave an American flag in it’s place? With the flag was a note reading, “I didn’t agree with your flag so I took it down. If you don’t agree with this one, you can take it down. P.S. there are only 2 (two) genders.” No worries, though – the church figured it would happen some day, and had a backup Pride flag waiting in the wings.
• Even the cops get in on the act at New Orleans’ Easter Parade:
President Trump, who knows a bit about being accused of sexual harassment, defended Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly in an interview with The New York Timestoday.
O’Reilly has come under fire as news emerged that he has settled at least 5 lawsuits alleging sexual harassment to the tune of $13 million.
“I think he’s a person I know well — he is a good person,” said Mr. Trump, who during the interview was surrounded at his desk by a half-dozen of his highest-ranking aides, including the economic adviser Gary Cohn and Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, along with Vice President Mike Pence.
“I think he shouldn’t have settled; personally I think he shouldn’t have settled,” said Mr. Trump. “Because you should have taken it all the way. I don’t think Bill did anything wrong.”
At last count, over 20 companies have dropped their advertising on The O’Reilly Factor in light of the allegations.
Not surprising that Trump thinks alleged sexual harassment doesn’t constitute doing “anything wrong.”
As just about everyone in the free world knows, Trump himself has been the subject of multiple claims of sexual harassment. He denied them all.
At least seven more marketers said they were withdrawing ads from “The O’Reilly Factor,’’ making a total of at least nine that have suspended sponsorship in the last 24 hours. Mercedes-Benz and Hyundai announced their decisions Monday night, and on Tuesday they were joined by BMW of North America; GlaxoSmithKline; T. Rowe Price; Allstate; Constant Contact, an online marketer; Untuckit, a men’s clothing distributor; and Sanofi Consumer HealthCare, which advertised products like ACT mouthwash on Mr. O’Reilly’s show.
The decisions come after The New York Timespublished an investigation last weekend that found that five women who had accused Mr. O’Reilly of sexual harassment or inappropriate behavior received settlements totaling about $13 million.