Suspect In Norway Mass Shooting Refuses To Speak To Police

The suspect in a mass shooting in Norway outside a popular gay bar is refusing to explain his actions to investigators and has chosen to remain in pretrial custody for the next four weeks.
(screen capture via CBS Mornings)

The suspect in a mass shooting in Norway outside a popular gay bar is refusing to explain his actions to investigators and has chosen to remain in pretrial custody for the next four weeks.

The man,  a 42-year-old Norwegian citizen originally from Iran, is being held on suspicion of murder, attempted murder and terrorism following the shooting in Oslo’s nightlife district early Saturday.

Two people were killed and more than 20 were injured in the deadly late night shooting.

From AP News:

Oslo police said they tried to question the suspect on Saturday and again on Sunday without success. Norwegian media identified him as Zaniar Matapour.

Matapour’s defense lawyer, John Christian Elden, told The Associated Press by email that his client refused to have his statement recorded and videotaped unless police released the entire recording to the public “with no time delay so it won’t be censored or manipulated.”

Recording interrogations is a standard police practice.

Elden previously said his client did not deny being the shooter but had not divulged any motive. The lawyer said Sunday that Matapour did not object to remaining in custody for four weeks so would not appear in court on Monday.

While the attack took place at a gay bar, police officials say it is too early to say whether the attacker specifically targeted the LGBTQ community.