Some news items you might have missed:
• The Advocate: A new report from GLAAD found a sharp increase in the number of LGBTQ+ Americans reporting they’ve experienced discrimination. Seventy percent of respondents in this year’s study say they’ve experience discrimination due to their sexual orientation or gender identity. That’s up from 59 percent in 2021 and 46 percent in 2020.
— The Advocate (@TheAdvocateMag) June 23, 2022
• The Independent: Representatives Mo Brooks, Matt Gaetz, Andy Biggs, Louis Gohmert, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Scott Perry were among the Republican members of Congress who asked then-president Donald Trump to insulate them from future prosecutions by granting them presidential pardons.
• Boy Culture: The Academy Award winner movie musical Cabaret, starring Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey, will be getting a big screen 50th anniversary release in July.
• Washington Post: After making a statement about gun reform legislation she opposes, Rep. Majorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) was asked a question by a British reporter about how gun legislation in the UK reduced mass shootings. Greene’s response? “You have mass stabbings!”
• Kenneth-in-the-212: This week’s Wrestling Wednesday contender was a real winner.
• AP News: European Union leaders on Thursday are set to make Ukraine a candidate for joining the 27-nation bloc, a first step in a long and unpredictable journey toward full membership that could take many years to navigate. According to reports, Ukraine will receive the unanimous approval required for candidate status.
• Edge Media: Chasten Buttigieg took a not-so-subtle swipe at Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) for being a grade A hypocrite. Boebert tweeted a Father’s Day message for America’s fathers, but this was after she’d attacked Chasten’s husband, Pete, Secretary of Transportation, for working from a hospital while their son was on a ventilator.
Our two-month-old son was on a ventilator at the children’s hospital when you attacked my husband for being with his family. I watched him take calls and Zooms from our hospital room all day, managing crisis after crisis while our son’s heart monitor beeped in the background. pic.twitter.com/zRkLiAANgV
— Chasten Buttigieg (@Chasten) June 22, 2022