With Donald Trump’s tariffs on Canada and Mexico set to take effect tomorrow, Premier Doug Ford reiterated his threat to cut off electricity from Ontario to several American states (“with a smile on my face”) if the U.S. moves ahead with tariffs.
From CBC:
“If they want to try to annihilate Ontario, I will do anything — including cutting off their energy — with a smile on my face,” Ford said during his first press conference since winning a third majority last week.
Ontario is a major electricity exporter to New York, Michigan and Minnesota.
“They need to feel the pain. They want to come at us? We’ve got to back twice as hard,” Ford added.
Trump previously announced 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods and 10 per cent on energy, but there’s still uncertainty about the size of the tariffs expected to be put in place tomorrow. In addition to putting a surcharge on electricity purchased by the U.S. from Ontario, Ford said he’s ready to “rip up” a $100 million agreement with Elon Musk’s internet company, Starlink.
Premier Doug Ford said Ontario would scrap its $100 million satellite internet deal with Elon Musk’s Starlink if tariffs come. [image or embed]
— Toronto Star (@thestar.com) March 3, 2025 at 10:09 AM
Discover more from The Randy Report
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
