Some news items you might have missed:
• Men’s Variety: Guest contributor Dale in NY says he’s skipping Pride events this year because he’s tired of being fat shamed at events that are supposed to welcome diversity.
• LGBTQ Nation: A Catholic organization is encouraging its members to steal LGBTQ books from libraries as part of its “Hide the Pride” campaign. A librarian shared a picture on social media of the Pride Month display that they created, but with all the books missing.
• Kenneth-in-the-212: Check out Kenneth’s round-up of the what’s what in LGBTQ publications including the Dallas Voice’s story on how an act of anti-gay vandalism helped bring a community together.
• Deadline: One of my favorite TV shows, “Hacks,” has been renewed for a third fabulous season! #HappyDance
• Department of Labor: For the first time ever, the Labor Department raised the LGBTQ Pride flag in honor of Pride Month.
America is stronger when everyone can bring their whole selves to the workplace.
Today, for the first time ever, @USDOL proudly raised the Pride flag at our headquarters to show solidarity with the LGBTQI+ community as we continue to build a stronger, more inclusive economy. pic.twitter.com/zY9ks4lXoY
— Secretary Marty Walsh (@SecMartyWalsh) June 10, 2022
• Law and Crime: Mark Andrew Mazza, 57, has pleaded guilty to bringing a loaded revolver with him to the U.S. Capitol on January 6 and assaulting police with a baton stolen from an officer. He faces up to 20 years in federal prison.
• Gallup: While the vast majority of Americans believe in God (81%), that’s down 6 points from 2017 – and the lowest level since the polling company began asking the question in 1944.
• The Advocate: After flying a rainbow Pride flag and a Black Lives Matter flag, a Massachusetts Catholic school can no longer call itself Catholic. A local bishop declared that the Pride and Black Lives Matter flags were ‘incongruent’ with church teachings.
A Massachusetts Catholic school can no longer call itself Catholic after a local bishop declared that its Pride and Black Lives Matter flags were incongruent with church teachings. https://t.co/D0CCboxe1G
— The Advocate (@TheAdvocateMag) June 17, 2022