Some news items you might have missed:
• CBS: Queen Latifah’s new drama, The Equalizer, is set to premiere at a date and time with no equal – immediately following the Super Bowl! In the reboot of the classic series, Latifah stars as Robyn McCall, an enigmatic woman with a mysterious background who uses her extensive skills to help those with nowhere else to turn.
• Out: A new study showed a rise in familiarity and favorable opinion of PrEP, medicine that can prevent contracting HIV, among men at risk in the LGBTQ+ community. But – the study also shows less than one-in-ten eligible men are taking the drug.
• Axios: “No one gives me any fucking support,” Trump yelled. He got up and stormed out of the Oval Office…leaving Attorney General Bill Barr and the others behind. Barr glanced over at a red-faced White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows, and joked, “Well that went well.”
• kenneth-in-the-212: Heck of a job, Orangie – Trump leaves office in disgrace, nation divided; ends presidency under criminal probe from numerous jurisdictions awaiting second impeachment trial with lowest approval rating yet and almost 400K dead from Covid-19.
• AL.com: Newly-minted U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville of Alabama suggested in a TV interview that President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration should be delayed. Umm, the January 20 date is set in the U.S. Constitution.
• HuffPost: Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett has not recused herself from a climate case against Big Oil even though her father has worked for one of the defendants for 29 years. Justice Samuel Alito, who owns stock in several oil and gas companies, has already recused himself.
• Twitter: Not only does California have the honor of providing the country’s first Black Vice President (Kamala Harris), AND the state’s first Latino U.S. Senator (Alex Padillo), but the opportunity also gives Gov. Gavin Newsom the chance to appoint California’s first African American Secretary of State (Shirley Weber). #ThreeFer
Today, I signed the paperwork to officially appoint CA’s first Latino US Senator, @AlexPadilla4CA and nominate CA’s first African American Secretary of State, @AsmShirleyWeber. pic.twitter.com/8ijTqPQRe2
— Gavin Newsom (@GavinNewsom) January 18, 2021