Some news items you might have missed:
• ABC13: H Scott Apley (above), an anti-vaxxer and a leader in the Texas Republican Party, died just days after being diagnosed with COVID. His wife and 5-month-old son tested positive as well. Apley mocked federal “hand-outs” during the pandemic on social media, so it will come as no surprise friends have set up a crowd-funding campaign asking for $35K for the family.
• CBS News: Some New York lawmakers, including Democrats, are ready to begin the process of impeaching Gov. Andrew Cuomo following a report by the state’s attorney general that he sexually harassed at least 11 women.
CBS News has learned that some New York lawmakers, including Democrats, are ready to start the process of impeaching Gov. Andrew Cuomo following a report by the state’s attorney general that he sexually harassed at least 11 women. pic.twitter.com/AW8H6il1yS
— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) August 4, 2021
• Kansas City Star: A Missouri county coroner excludes COVID from death certificates if the family asks. “I do what pleases the family,” the coroner says. But in some cases, families came back asking to add COVID back after learning there’s a FEMA program that can reimburse $9K for funerals for those who died of COVID.
• NBC News: Two travelers who used fake vaccine cards to enter Canada from the U.S. have been fined nearly $16,000. The airline passengers also submitted fraudulent test results, Canadian officials said.
Two airline passengers entering Canada from the U.S. have been fined nearly $16,000 each for submitting fake vaccination cards and Covid-19 test results, officials say. https://t.co/MwBi9xy82c
— NBC News (@NBCNews) August 3, 2021
• Clever Real Estate: After crunching several data factors, my town of Las Vegas ranks 4th in the nation of ‘Best Cities For Singles’ thanks in part to 53% of the population being single. Hit to link to see where your town landed.
• WAPT: An unvaccinated nurse in Jackson, Mississippi, held a 4th of July party that became a super-spreader event as more than 20 tested positive for COVID, many were hospitalized.
In addition to getting sick herself, Hannah Frith unwittingly infected her father.
“It took him 30 minutes to get to the car because he was so short of breath. The next day, the doctor called and told me his kidney function was bad. His liver enzymes were bad. Of course, he had COVID in both lungs. I felt terrible, you know?”