|Ben Zerbst and Donald Romain|
Some news items you might have missed:
• Brunei has defended its punishment of death by stoning for gay sex in a letter to the European Parliament. Under the country’s new law, not only are LGBTQs targeted but adultery garners the same punishment, and thieves and robbers risk amputations.
• Prosecutors plan to seek a sentence of four to 10 months’ jail time for actress Felicity Huffman for her role in the college admissions scandal.
• This year’s Time 100 – the 100 most influential people of 2019 – includes Lady Gaga, Indya Moore, Ryan Murphy, and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.
• Nevada could soon join the three other states – California, Illinois, and Rhode Island – that ban the ‘gay panic’ or ‘trans panic’ defense in cases of assault or murder.
• Folks were wondering why queer rapper Lizzo performed at Coachella Music Festival this past weekend when it came to light owner Philip Anschutz has given his money to anti-LGBTQ organizations.
“Whether we like it or not most major organizations are run by bigoted millionaires that donate to bigoted organizations. I realize my activism is to disrupt those spaces and spread my message to thousands of ppl.”
“Y’all may not agree w it and that’s ok. But know that I’m doing what I gotta do to make sure my big black ass voice is heard. Can’t wait to dismantle the hate that funds this country… but until then, imma be putting big, black, femme, lgbtq+ bodies on stages and telling our stories.”
Here’s Lizzo’s latest music video “Juice” featuring a whole bunch of RuPaul’s Drag Race queens for added fun. Her new album Cuz I Love You drops Friday.