Justice Dept Seeks To Unseal Trump Search Warrant

Attorney General Merrick Garland announced he will seek to unseal the search warrant used in the search of Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago.
Attorney General Merrick Garland (screen capture)
Following days of Donald Trump portraying himself as a victim after the FBI conducted a search of his Mar-a-Lago home, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced that the Justice Department has filed a motion to unseal the search warrant and property receipt.

From USA Today:

“I personally approved the decision to seek a search warrant in this matter,” he said Thursday, after making the required finding of “probable cause” that a crime had been committed.

On Monday, agents searched Trump’s residence and his safe in what sources familiar with the matter have told USA TODAY is an investigation related to Trump’s removal of classified documents from the White House when he left office.

Trump has denounced that investigation. The latest action prompted Trump to make accusations of a “witch hunt” in all levels of government, including the bureau itself. However, FBI Director Christopher Wray was appointed by Trump while he was president.

A couple of things worth noting: First, any search warrant would have to be authorized by a federal judge after finding probable cause that a crime had been committed and that evidence of the crime exists in the location to be searched. Second, Donald Trump has had the right and ability to release the search warrant to the public. Instead, he’s chosen to whine without showing what the document actually says. Garland has basically called Trump’s bluff. The Donald now has until 3pm ET on Friday to oppose the release of the search warrant. If he does, he’ll be reversing on himself and giving folks a reason to wonder what he’s hiding if he’s a true “victim” in this.


Discover more from The Randy Report

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Share via
Copy link