Trans Boy Allowed To Play Lead In OKLAHOMA! After School Reversal

A trans boy will be allowed to play the lead role in the upcoming production of OKLAHOMA! after all, following a tense school board meeting on Monday night. After nearly two weeks of controversy, school trustees directed the superintendent to reinstate Sherman High students in the roles they were cast in at the beginning of the month, prior to a decision to revoke their parts based on gender. https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1724301261028098289 As I previously reported, Max Hightower, a 17-year-old transgender boy (lead photo), had originally been cast in the leading role of “Curley,” only to be told by the principal a “new policy” had been instituted banning students from playing roles opposite the gender they were assigned at birth. Additionally, several girls who had been cast to play “cowboys” in the musical were told they would not be allowed to do so. Apparently, no one explained to the powers that be that theater is all make-believe. The decision by school trustees this week marks a complete reversal of the “new policy.” The trustees also directed the school to return to the original script rather than an abbreviated “youth” version. Superintendent Tyson Bennett told the Dallas Morning News he would follow the decision of the trustees. Dozens of speakers reportedly protested the “new policy” at Monday night’s school board meeting, demanding the students perform in their original roles, and criticized the trustees for discriminating against a transgender student. The Dallas Morning News reports Board president Brad Morgan apologized to the students, parents, and community for the situation, saying, “We understand that our decision does not erase the impact this had on our community.” https://twitter.com/AnneRussey/status/1724424772530921550


Discover more from The Randy Report

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Share via
Copy link