Trump Administration Doubles Down On Transgender Military Ban

Donald Trump issued filed a memorandum in U.S. District Court tonight that seeks to ban transgender troops from serving in the military except in select cases — following through on a random tweet last year that has been under review by the Pentagon and fought out in the courts.

Yes, kids, President Bone Spurs tried this before and four courts and two circuit courts have stopped this foolishness.

Via the White House:

Among other things, the policies set forth by the Secretary of Defense state that transgender persons with a history or diagnosis of gender dysphoria — individuals who the policies state may require substantial medical treatment, including medications and surgery — are disqualified from military service except under certain limited circumstances.

Even beyond the courts, military experts have concluded that the cost of providing treatment to trans troops would be minimal.

Defense Secretary Mattis says he came to this recommendation after convening a months-long study that took input from transgender service members and medical professionals, but in fact, the American Medical Association in 2015 came out against banning transgender people in the armed forces.

It’s also important to note that there are thousands of trans soldiers currently serving with distinction in the U.S. military. No one who is not as qualified as any other applicant is currently serving.

LGBT advocacy groups were quick to respond.

From the Human Rights Campaign:

There is simply no way to spin it, the Trump-Pence Administration is going all in on its discriminatory, unconstitutional and despicable ban on transgender troops. Donald Trump and Mike Pence are pushing their extreme anti-transgender prejudices onto the military over the overwhelming objections of bipartisan officials, national security leaders and the American public. We will never stop fighting this discriminatory policy until every current and future transgender service member is treated equally and respected fully for their bravery.

From the National Center for Lesbian Rights:

“This is exactly the discriminatory, categorical ban that four federal courts have already barred from going forward. This is just the sort of baseless attack on dedicated service members we have come to expect from this administration, and we will continue to fight this shameful ban vigorously in federal court.”

Podcast: Broadway, Conversion Therapy, Transgender Soldiers, LGBT Workplace Discrimination, Out Oscar Winners

In this week’s podcast:

• Harvey Fierstein’s iconic play Torch Song is heading back to Broadway

• California aims to make so-called “ex-gay therapy” illegal

• Georgia lawmakers are trying to legalize discrimination against same-sex couples wanting to adopt

• South Carolina looks to label same-sex marriage as “parody” marriage

• Defense Secretary James Mattis has given Donald Trump his recommendations for transgender soldiers

• The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals says Title VII of Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects LGBTs from workplace discrimination

• Anti-gay bakers in Oregon take their case to the state Supreme Court

• How many out LGBT Academy Award winners can you name?

All that and more in this episode of The Randy Report podcast.

Pentagon Confirms 1st Transgender Recruit Has Signed Contract To Join Military Since Judge Ruled Against Trans Ban

The Pentagon has confirmed that the first transgender person has signed a contract to join the US military, a development made possible after a federal judge ruled that the military must accept transgender recruits.

CNN reports:

“The Department of Defense confirms that as of February 23, 2018, there is one transgender individual under contract for service in the US Military,” Maj. Dave Eastburn told CNN.

The individual has met all the standards for serving in the military and signed a contract but has not yet begun basic training.

As you may recall, Trump surprised many last summer when he tweeted, “After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military.”

Trump went on to blame “the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail” for the reasoning behind his decision.

It was later revealed he had not consulted with the heads of our armed forces.

This past Friday, Defense Secretary Mattis delivered his recommendations to the President regarding the future of transgender service members.

“We are waiting for the President to make a decision based on the Secretary’s recommendation,” Pentagon spokesman Col. Rob Manning told reporters Monday.

Earlier today I reported that several civil rights groups ran a full-page ad in USA Today calling on Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence to “not to put their politics ahead of our troops” and reverse the transgender military ban.

USA Today Ad Features Bipartisan Support For Transgender Soldiers

From the Human Rights Campaign:

Today, the Human Rights Campaign, Lambda Legal, OutServe-SLDN, American Military Partner Association, and Gender Justice League published a full-page USA Today ad featuring leading military, national security and bipartisan officials who agree with the majority of Americans that the Trump-Pence Administration’s ban on transgender troops is wrong and hurts military readiness. The ad encourages the vast majority of Americans who oppose the Trump-Pence Administration’s effort to ban up to 15,000 active duty transgender troops to call the White House and demand they put our military readiness and brave servicemembers ahead of politics.

The advertisement reads, “Military leaders, national security officials, bipartisan lawmakers in Congress and a majority of Americans oppose the Trump-Pence ban on transgender troops, which would hurt military readiness. Tell Donald Trump and Mike Pence not to put their politics ahead of our troops. Call the White House: 202-456-1414.”

Making clear the bipartisan opposition to the ban, the ad features quotes from Senators John McCain (R-AZ), Susan Collins (R-ME), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), and Richard Shelby (R-AL); Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joseph Dunford; Former Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus; Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen; Former Secretary of the Army Eric Fanning; Former Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James; and General Martin Dempsey.

Bolding is mine.

As I reported over the weekend, Defense Secretary James Mattis delivered his recommendations on transgender soldiers in the military to Donald Trump on Friday evening. Political insiders say Mattis is expected to support allowing trans soldiers to continue serving in the U.S. armed forces.

One more time – Call the White House at 202-456-1414 and leave a message saying you agree with the majority of Americans that transgender soldiers who are willing and able to serve the country they love should have that right.

Defense Secretary Delivers His Recommendation On Transgender Military Service To Trump

Chris Johnson of The Washington Blade is reporting that Defense Secretary James Mattis did indeed deliver his recommendation to Donald Trump regarding transgender military service members.

Hogan Gidley, a White House spokesperson, confirmed Mattis had delivered his recommendation to Trump, but wasn’t forthcoming about the next steps.

“The White House has received the Department of Defense’s recommendations on transgender personnel in the military,” Gidley said. “It is currently under review.”

Maj. David Eastburn, a Pentagon spokesperson, said late Friday the “secretary made his recommendation to the White House this morning.”

The recommendation was due Wednesday in correspondence with a directive Trump issued in August banning transgender military service. Mattis was initially scheduled to meet with Trump on Tuesday for lunch, but that was cancelled due to scheduling conflict. The recommendation had to wait until Friday.

Officials wouldn’t disclose the nature of Mattis’ recommendation to Trump. According to multiple media reports, Mattis was expected to advise Trump transgender people should be allowed to serve in the U.S. military.

Defense Secretary To Recommend Allowing Transgender Military Members To Continue Serving

From The Washington Post:

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is expected to propose to President Trump that transgender members of the U.S. military be allowed to continue serving despite the president’s call last summer for a ban on all transgender service members, according to two U.S. officials with knowledge of the issue.

Trump surprised many Pentagon officials on July 26 by issuing a string of tweets in which he said he was banning all transgender people from the military, despite not having a plan in place. Trump tweeted that he had reached his decision “after consultation with my Generals and military experts,” citing the “tremendous medical costs and disruption” he believed it would cause.

Marine Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, moved afterward to stop any changes from taking place until a new policy was adopted, and Mattis backed the move. The Obama administration began allowing transgender people to openly serve in the military in June 2016, prompting some people to come out for the first time.

Dunford, testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee last fall, said transgender troops already in the military have served with honor.

“I believe any individual who meets the physical and mental standards, and is worldwide deployable and is currently serving, should be afforded the opportunity to continue to serve,” he said.

He added that he would continue to advise Trump that transgender service members who follow rules and regulations should not be ejected on the basis of their gender identity.

News Round-Up: February 21, 2018

(via Instagram)

Some news items you might have missed:

• In case you missed it, Jim Newman definitely wished you all a Happy Valentine’s Day (above)

• Melonie Diaz has been cast as the first magical sister in the Charmed CW reboot. She’ll play “Mel,” the time freezing lesbian sister of the trio of witches featured on the show.

• American voters overwhelmingly support allowing undocumented children brought to the U.S. as children, so-called “Dreamers,” to remain and eventually apply for citizenship by 80%-16%.

• Olympic silver medalist Gus Kenworthy says he’d like to explore acting as his next chapter and Wes Anderson would be his dream pick as director. Hey, Wes…

• Defense Secretary James Mattis’ deadline for recommending how to handle transgender military service members came and went today. What next?

• MTV fired reality personality James Eason for homophobic tweets that compared gays with dogs or fleas, or something really stupid.

News Round-Up: February 20, 2018

Great Britain’s bob sled team

Some news items you might have missed:

Kenneth-in-the-212 points up that Great Britain’s bobsled team (above) has a lot to offer both on and off the track 😉

• Newly-installed Army Secretary Mike Esper says the issue of transgender soldiers serving in the military “hasn’t come up” when he talks to American soldiers.

• South Carolina lawmakers have filed legislation that would define marriage as only between men and women, and deem same-sex unions as “parody marriages.” One of the authors of the bill calls same-sex marriage “an impersonation of actual marriage.”

• The latest Quinnipiac poll shows a staggering 97% of Americans support requiring background checks for all gun purchases.

• The Department of Defense’s new policy on service by transgender troops is due tomorrow. Does Defense Secretary James Mattis have a plan?

• Out UK singer Calum Scott covers Gay Times Magazine. In his interview, Scott explains how his songwriting changed after coming out: “When I was honest about myself and my feelings and especially my sexuality, it started flowing out of me like a river.”

Republican National Committee Approves Resolution Supporting Trump’s Proposed Ban On Transgender Service Members

The Republican National Committee has approved a resolution supporting President Donald Trump’s proposed ban on transgender military service members.

And along the way, GOPers decided that being transgender is “a disqualifying psychological and physical” condition.

From the AP:

In a resolution passed at its annual winter meeting Friday, the committee voted to support Trump’s August demand that military recruitment policy consider transgender as “a disqualifying psychological and physical” condition

Trump’s order has suffered legal setbacks. Three federal courts have ruled against the ban, prompting the RNC to take the position standing with Trump.

An effect of one court ruling was that the military would be required to allow transgender people to enlist beginning Jan. 1.

The issue has divided the GOP. Some Republicans in the Senate, including military veterans Joni Ernst of Iowa and John McCain of Arizona, have objected to Trump’s ban.

The Defense Department is undertaking a review of recruiting policies, a process expected to be completed in the coming months. RNC member Bob Kabel said he expects Trump to abide by the recommendations in the Pentagon’s review.

As the article mentions, not all Republicans agree with this anti-trans position. Here’s a few more:

Dept. Of Justice Will Not Fight Court Rulings Against Trump’s Transgender Military Ban, Enlistments To Begin January 1

The U.S. Justice Department announced Friday night that it will not fight the rulings of four federal courts against Donald Trump’s proposed ban on transgender military service members.

From The Washington Blade:

“The Department of Defense has announced that it will be releasing an independent study of these issues in the coming weeks,” the DOJ official said. “So rather than litigate this interim appeal before that occurs, the administration has decided to wait for DOD’s study and will continue to defend the president’s and secretary of defense’s lawful authority in district court in the meantime.”

The Justice Department on Friday withdrew its appeals of three court rulings against Trump’s transgender military ban — one from a federal court in D.C., another from a federal court in Maryland and another from a federal court in Washington State. A federal court in California also ruled against Trump’s trans ban, but the Justice Department had yet to appeal that decision.

In July, Trump announced via Twitter he would ban transgender people from the armed forces “in any capacity,” following up with a directive making good on that promise. As a result of litigation from LGBT legal groups, court enjoined the Pentagon from enforcing that directive. The Justice Department sought a stay on those decisions, but only as it pertained to allowing openly transgender people to enlist in the armed forces.

This means transgender Americans who want to serve their country will be able to enlist beginning January 1.

“This is a major victory in the litigation and great news for transgender troops, transgender military academy and ROTC students, and transgender people who have been waiting to enlist,” said Shannon Minter, Legal Director for the National Center For Lesbian Rights. “There is no reason to exclude transgender people from military service, especially when they have already proved their ability to serve. Transgender people are part of this country, and their willingness to take on the hardships and sacrifices of military service should be honored, not banned.”