News Round-Up: July 27, 2018

Some news items you might have missed:

• Paleontologist and InstaHunk Francesc Gascó (above) is hot. That’s all I got. Happy Friday!

• A new study by AARP of over 1,700 gay men in the U.S. found most gay men over 45 are single.

• Folks were surprised when the Stonewall Democratic Club in NY chose to endorse Gov. Andrew Cuomo instead of out lesbian challenger Cynthia Nixon.

• Did Donald Trump use the Pulse Nightclub shooting massacre to cover up Don Jr.’s meeting at Trump Tower with a Russian government attorney turning out to be a dud?

• Former Navy Secretary Ray Mabus called Donald Trump’s proposed transgender military ban “the dumbest government policy you could possibly pursue, and it weakens us and hurts our military.”

• The world famous Nob Hill Theater, the world’s oldest male strip club, is closing.

• Recording artist Lizzo has released a new single and music video, “Boys.” The video premiered on Out.com who declared, “’Boys’ feels remarkably fresh — a fitting clapback to any stragglers who still feel women can’t express sexuality and lust.” Check it out below.

Bipartisan Group Of Lawmakers Look To Protect Trans Military Service Members

gay-military.jpeg

A bipartisan group of lawmakers in the House of Representatives is looking to protect transgender military service members with a proposed amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).

The amendment, if adopted, would codify the Obama-era open-service policies into law, thus blocking Donald Trump’s proposed ban of trans service members.

The amendment to the NDAA was drafted by Democratic Reps. Jackie Speier (Calif.), A. Donald McEachin (Va.) and Susan Davis (Calif.) and moderate Republican Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (Fla.), whose son is transgender.

The House Rules Committee, which will determine which amendments will actually get a vote on the floor of the House, is set to meet Monday and Tuesday this week.

As you may recall, Donald Trump surprised folks when he tweeted from out of nowhere that he wished to place a ban on transgender service members in the U.S. military.

In August of last year, Trump told reporters that he was “doing the military a great favor” by attempting to ban trans service members.

In October, a federal judge effectively blocked Donald Trump’s proposed ban on transgender service members in the military saying the ban was “driven by a desire to express disapproval of transgender people generally.”

Last month, top military leaders of the Navy and Marine Corps said they have seen no evidence of morale, discipline or unit readiness problems with transgender troops now serving openly in the military.

Trump’s ban is currently in legal limbo as four different federal courts have placed a hold on the executive order.

News Round-Up: May 9, 2018

LA stuntman Trevor LaPaglia knows how to finish things like a boss
(image via Instagram)

Some news stories you might have missed:

• This was a looooong day. LA stuntman Trevor Lapaglia (above) shows how to finish a tough day like a boss.

• Out actor Mario Cantone explains why he’s not in the current Broadway revival of The Boys in the Band. (Tip of the hat to kenneth-in-the-212)

• With almost 15,000 transgender service members in our military, Rolling Stone did a deep dive into what it’s like to be trans and serve while our Cheeto-In-Chief attacks them on a regular basis.

• The housing crisis in London is so extreme homeless gay men are checking into gay saunas over night just to have a place to sleep.

• A teacher in Texas who was twice voted teacher of the year and received “exemplary reviews” found herself on “administrative leave” because she was accused of promoting a ‘homosexual agenda.’ Now she’s suing.

• TV’s wonder producer Ryan Murphy is donating all of his profits from his upcoming FX series Pose to LGBTQ charities.

Pose premieres June 3 on FX. Watch the trailer, which dropped last week, and then make sure you tune in 😉

Navy & Marine Corps Leaders: No Problems With Transgender Soldiers

Donald Trump says he “consulted” with his military experts and generals about transgender military service members.

Well, here’s what the folks in charge really have to say.

From the Associated Press:

The top military leaders of the Navy and Marine Corps tell senators that so far, they’ve seen no discipline, morale or unit readiness problems with transgender troops now serving openly.

Gen. Robert Neller is Marine Corps commandant. Neller says that some of his commanders have said there are no problems at all. He says others say they’re spending “a lot of time” with transgender individuals as they work through medical requirements involving the transition from birth gender to preferred gender.

The Pentagon in 2016 lifted the ban on transgender troops serving openly in the military. President Donald Trump has pushed for a ban, but that directive is being challenged in numerous court cases.

Additionally, Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Paul Zukunft told lawmakers he is committed to allowing transgender members to continue to serve until he is compelled to do otherwise.

AMA Slams Trump’s Transgender Military Ban: “There Is No Medically Valid Reason To Exclude Trans Individuals”

In a letter to Defense Secretary James Mattis, the largest medical organization in the United States declared “there is no medically valid reason — including a diagnosis of gender dysphoria — to exclude transgender individuals from military service.”

The American Medical Association went on to say that the recent report by the Penatgon evaluating accommodations for transgender soldiers “mischaracterized and rejected the wide body of peer-reviewed research on the effectiveness of transgender medical care.”

AMA CEO James Madara also slammed the idea that medical costs for trans military service members would be prohibitive.

“The financial cost is negligible and a rounding error in the defense budget,” Madara wrote. “It should not be used as a reason to deny patriotic Americans an opportunity to serve their country. We should be honoring their service.”

A government-funded study by the RAND Corporation estimated paying for the transition-related healthcare of transgender troops would cost between $2.4 million and $8.4 million each year, a less-than-1 percent increase in active-duty healthcare costs.

The Trump administration announced plans last month to carryout Donald Trump’s proposed ban on transgender service members.

According to a memo from Mattis delivered to the White House, most trans people who have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria — including those who required medical treatment or surgery — will be barred from serving in the military.

The ban is currently on hold thanks to four separate court-ordered injunctions.

Leading Psychiatric/Psychological Associations Disagree With Trump’s Ban On Trans Military Ban

The American Psychiatric Association and American Psychological Association both say the report from Defense Secretary Jim Mattis that recommends banning transgender people from serving in the U.S. military “misrepresents” current healthcare treatment for trans folks.

From The Washington Examiner:

The Pentagon’s claim that the scientific evidence is at best “unclear” for treatment of gender dysphoria, the condition of being unhappy in your current gender, and that treatment may not relieve serious risks such as suicide is not the current medical consensus, according to the American Psychiatric Association and American Psychological Association.

“That’s really not true and it’s certainly not true among the actual experts who treat these people,” said Dr. Jack Drescher, a psychiatrist and psychoanalyst who is a distinguished fellow at the American Psychiatric Association. “We shouldn’t assume just because somebody has a psychiatric diagnosis that they are not able to function and there is no reason to believe, based on what we know of people who have gotten treatment for their gender dysphoria, that they are any different.

“If people get treatment for their gender dysphoria, then they are doing fine,” he said.

Mattis’ report issued last month basically bans anyone diagnosed with gender dysphoria or anyone who is undergoing hormone therapy/gender reassignment surgery from enlisting in the armed forces.

Mattis’ plan allows for current trans service members to remain on active duty as long as they don’t require treatment.

The proposed policy change remains on hold due to four separate federal courts which have ruled the new policy unconstitutional.

Retired Generals & Admirals: Trump Transgender Military Ban Is “Troubling Move Backward”

More than 20 retired generals and admirals are opposing the latest version of President Trump’s ban on transgender people in the military in a new statement Tuesday.

“The administration’s announcement on the treatment of transgender service members is a troubling move backward,” the 26 officers wrote in their statement via the Palm Center, which researches issues of gender and sexuality.

“There is simply no reason to single out brave transgender Americans who can meet military standards and deny them the ability to serve.”

More from The Hill:

In their statement Tuesday, the retired officers argue the new policy is similar to “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” which banned gays and lesbians from serving until Congress repealed it.

“Many of us personally experienced the belated removal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ and faced firsthand how that mistaken policy set back our force and enabled discrimination against patriotic gay and lesbian Americans,” they said. “We learned a clear lesson: the singling out of one group of service members for unequal treatment harms military readiness, while inclusion supports it.”

Transgender troops who are able to serve under the new policy, they continued, would do so “under a false presumption of unsuitability,” not be able to receive needed medical care and will live in “constant fear” of being discharged.

“We should not return to the days of forcing men and women to hide in the shadows and serve their country without institutional support,” the officers said. “This deprives the military of trained and skilled service members, which harms readiness and morale.”

In his report, Defense Secretary Mattis recommended banning most transgender soldiers except under three specific criteria:

• If they have not had gender dysphoria for 36 months

• If they have been diagnosed after entering service but do not need to transition gender

• If they are currently serving troops who came out and are receiving treatment since the ban on their service was first lifted in 2016.

Trump’s new policy is currently stalled from going into effect as four separate federal courts have issued injunctions against the ban calling the new policy unconstitutional.

VP Mike Pence Behind Latest Anti-Trans Military Ban

Vice President Mike Pence (L) with Donald Trump

Last Friday, the White House issued its official plan to remove transgender service members from the U.S. military.

Attached to the plan was a “report” from the Defense Department as well as a memo signed by Defense Secretary James Mattis

It now appears the “report” actually came from anti-LGBT Vice President Mike Pence and anti-trans activists.

From LGBTQ Nation:

Multiple sources told Slate that Mike Pence “played a leading role in the creation of this report,” along with anti-transgender activists Ryan Anderson and Tony Perkins.

Anderson works at the right wing Heritage Foundation and recently wrote When Harry Became Sally, a book that claims that being transgender is a mental illness based on the narratives of “ex-transgender” people. Perkins works for the Family Research Council, an SPLC designated hate group.

Another source told Think Progress that the report was a product of a “working group” led by Pence that produced a report with different conclusions from Mattis’s committee report. The source said that Pence “overruled” Mattis’s report, but did not explain exactly what that meant.

Sources for Slate said that Mattis chose not to spend “political capital” fighting Pence on this issue.

Pence has long supported virulently anti-LGBT positions and policies from opposing same-sex marriage and gays in the military to supporting so-called “ex-gay therapy.”

Even though major medical organizations like the American Medical Association and the American Psychological Association affirm that transitioning is an effective treatment for gender dysphoria, the Pence report does not discuss either association’s positions.

Last week, a federal judge asked Donald Trump to provide a list of the “experts” Trump said he “consulted with” before issuing his haphazard policy change via Twitter last summer. Team Trump refused citing executive privilege.

The ban on transgender military members is currently being blocked via injunctions from four different federal courts.

GOP Sen. Joni Ernst Breaks From Trump, Supports Transgender Military Service

Sen. Joni Ernst

Republican Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), the first female combat veteran elected to the U.S. Senate, has broken with Donald Trump on his anti-transgender military policy.

On CBS’ “Face the Nation,” the first-term senator who sits on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said trans people who are qualified to be in the U.S. armed forces “should serve” and she would welcome them.

From The Washington Blade:

“I have asked transgenders myself, if you are willing to lay down your life beside me, I would welcome you into our military,” Ernst said.

The Iowa Republican, however, emphasized transgender people must “meet physical requirements” for being in the military and she’d “support the president and the administration in making sure that standards are met.”

“If there are transgenders that meet those qualifications, certainly I would gladly have them serving in the United States military,” Ernst added.

Asked by CBS News’ Margaret Brennan if she’d call on Trump to change his position, Ernst demurred, but said she’s happy to talk with the administration.

“I think the White House has done a very studied analysis of how we have the best qualified people coming into the military, and so, I’m happy to have those discussions with the administration, but, again, making sure that those standards are applied fairly across the spectrum of every citizen that wants to join our United States military,” Ernst said.

Ernst’s comments come just days after Trump announced his plans to keep his ban on transgender service in the military following a report by Defense Secretary James Mattis.

Currently four federal courts have injunctions blocking Trump’s ban.

Podcast: Emma Gonzalez’s Stunning Silence At The March For Our Lives, Trump Tries Trans Ban Again, Singer/Songwriter Tom Goss In Concert

In this week’s podcast:

• Out Parkland high school senior Emma González stunned the nation at the March for Our Lives with her powerful closing speech

• Donald Trump tried again this week with his ban on transgender soldiers in the US military

• Celebrities are buying out showings of the new coming out movie “Love, Simon” which has now grossed $24 million at the box office

• My review of out singer/songwriter Tom Goss live in concert

All that and more in this episode of The Randy Report.

Hit play below.

If you enjoy catching up on the week’s LGBTQ headlines with my 15 minute podcast newsmagazine, I’d appreciate it if you would share The Randy Report with your friends.

I like to think of this podcast as the 60 Minutes of gay news — only shorter 🙂