• Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, tells the Washington Post’s Jonathan Capehart, “We’re going to get our country back.” Griffin says he’s never seen such grassroots energy as we approach the midterm elections.
• Remembering Father Mychal Judge, the openly gay priest who was the first official casualty of the horrific 9/11 terror attack.
• Keiynan Lonsdale, star of The Flash and Love, Simon, asked his 837,000 fans on Instagram “Why is it deemed wrong to not wear clothes?” as he posted a nude pic.
We were not ready for Keiynan Lonsdale’s new single, “Preach.”
The Australian Love, Simon star dropped “Preach” at midnight on June 29, and it is a wild, magical, musical gay ride.
The music video begins with Lonsdale in a dark, lonely bar but soon drops off a cliff into nature where the shirtless hottie shows off his flair for fashion and flashy dance moves.
Eventually, it’s revealed he has super-gay super powers – blasting balls of rainbow fire into the sky.
According to Lonsdale, the song and video are a meditative fantasy about transcending ourselves.
“I wrote ‘Preach’ over a year ago.. but I didn’t know what it actually meant, or its significance to my life, until several months later,” Lonsdale told TheFader. “Both the song and the video have become like my mirrors, so everything good & bad that comes with one’s own reflection has of course presented itself through this project haha.”
• Sweden is set to have the first LGBT-certified sports stadium where all staff at the 7,200-capacity multi-use arena will be trained in LGBT issues in order to create a welcoming environment. Additionally, all toilets and dressing rooms will be adapted so that there are accessible options for all athletes and spectators, regardless of their gender identity, including gender neutral toilets where possible.
• The Flash star Keiynan Lonsdale got trolled on Twitter recently for wearing a dress to the MTV Awards earlier this month where he snagged the award for “Best Kiss” for his liplock with Nick Robinson in Love, Simon.
But Lonsdale handled the homophobe with style, and shared one of the benefits of his sartorial choices: “Allows the balls to breathe and therefore will chill ya out.”
Dude you gotta stop tweeting me about it & just go try one on yourself.. It’s only a piece of clothing & it’s fun 🙂 Also allows the balls to breathe and therefore will chill ya out 🌸 https://t.co/atdNEPOmnN
• What to watch this weekend? The critics are raving about the new Hugh Grant BBC mini-series, A Very English Scandal. Starting today the 3-part series is available on Amazon, and according to the reviews, it’s fantastic.
Nick Robinson and Keiynan Lonsdale in ‘Love, Simon’
It looks like the MTV Movie Awards loved the romantic coming-out/coming-of-age film Love, Simon as much as we did.
At last night’s awards, the film’s two lead actors, Nick Robinson and Keiynan Lonsdale, took home the trophy for “Best Kiss” for their yes-yes-yes lip-lock at the end of the movie.
Here’s the award-winning smooch:
Robinson wasn’t available for the ceremony as he’s shooting a new project, but Lonsdale (who came out as bisexual last year) took the stage to accept the award saying:
“I just want to say to every kid — if you can live your dreams and wear dresses; you can live your dreams and kiss the one that you love no matter what gender they are. You can live your dreams and you can believe in magic, you can live your dreams, and you can be yourself.”
Love, Simon was the first mainstream film featuring a gay lead character to be backed by a major studio. Released in March, the film was met with strong reviews and box office. To date, the film has grossed almost $60 million on a budget of $17 million.
This is the second year in a row the MTV Movie Awards have honored a same-sex kiss with last year’s nod going to the Oscar winning Moonlight’s beachside kiss between actors Ashton Sanders and Jharrel Jerome.
Boy Culture points out the long history of same-sex kissed in the category with same-sex wins by Cruel Intentions in 2000, American Pie 2 in 2002, Starsky & Hutch in 2004, Brokeback Mountain in 2006, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby in 2007, and Moonlight in 2017.
Keiynan Lonsdale, currently appearing as “Kid Flash” on the CW’s The Flash, came out as bisexual in a earnest Instagram post this weekend.
Lonsdale began his post, “I like to change my hair, I like to take risks with how I dress, I like girls, & I like guys (yes), I like growing, I like learning, I like who I am and I really like who I’m becoming.”
He added, “I’ve become bored of being insecure, ashamed, scared… no one should feel like that about themselves, especially when there is so much good life to live.”
A post shared by Keiynan Lonsdale 🥀 (@keiynanlonsdale) on May 12, 2017 at 11:17pm PDT
Out producer Greg Berlanti, who created TheFlash, has hired several out actors for the super-hero series including Victor Garber (Martin Stein/Firestorm), Wentworth Miller (Captain Cold), and Andy Mientus (Pied Piper).