In this week’s podcast: • A former police officer will receive a settlement after being denied a job because he is HIV positive • Ohio teacher fired for having a husband • Small steps forward for LGBTQ rights in Morocco • The Trump administration is close to removing important anti-discrimination protections for LGBTQs from the Affordable Care Act • Ryan Murphy’s new Netflix series Hollywood is a progressive, pro-LGBTQ reimagining of post-World War II Tinseltown • New ‘good news’ podcast to help you sleep at night – UNSAD Podcast www.unsadpodcast.com All that and more in this episode of The Randy Report podcast
Experts: HIV+/Undetectable People Aren’t At Greater Risk From COVID-19
UPDATE: As of October 14, 2021, the CDC’s updated list of medical conditions that could make a person at a higher risk of getting severely ill from COVID-19 includes HIV infection. Continue reading “Experts: HIV+/Undetectable People Aren’t At Greater Risk From COVID-19”
News Round-Up: November 5, 2019

Thank you @MensHealthUK . It’s a sign of where we are that a man LIVING with HIV is on the cover of Men’s Health. Thank you to everyone who works to ensure this happens for not just me, but millions of people. @THTorguk pic.twitter.com/bMm72psn6j
— Gareth Thomas (@gareththomas14) October 30, 2019
Gareth Thomas & Prince Harry Will Team Up To Combat HIV Stigma
After coming out as HIV-positive this weekend via a video message on Twitter, rugby legend Gareth Thomas has received an outpouring of support from not only fans but the royal family. In the video, Thomas shared that had been diagnosed with HIV some years ago but was coming out now after an unnamed tabloid threatened to ‘blackmail’ him about his status. The 45-year-old athlete feared “people would treat me like a leper because of a lack of knowledge,” he told the Sunday Mirror. The rugby icon said by coming out as HIV-positive, he hopes to educate others and break the stigma associated with being positive. He’s already received encouragement from both Princes Harry and William, who shared their support via social media. On the Instagram account for SussexRoyal, Prince Harry shared Thomas’ HIV message and praised the athlete for his strength, resiliency, and courage. “Gareth, you are an absolute legend!,” read the post which was signed ‘H’ for Harry. “In sharing your story of being HIV+, you are saving lives and shattering stigma, by showing you can be strong and resilient while living with HIV. We should all be appalled by the way you were forced to speak your truth, it is yours and yours alone to share on your terms and I and millions stand with you.” https://www.instagram.com/p/B2cVIyhF0GG/ Prince William responded on the KensingtonRoyal Instagram account with the message, “Courageous as ever – legend on the pitch and legend off it. You have our support Gareth.” The missive was signed ‘W’ for Prince William. https://www.instagram.com/p/B2bjhbsFqHH/ The former Celebrity Big Brother star has now announced that he will collaborate with Prince Harry to address the stigma associated with HIV. “Like me, Prince Harry wants to break the stigma around HIV and he has already done a lot of great work,” Thomas told the Sunday Mirror. “We are planning to work together now.” He added, “To do something with him will be really powerful.” Prince Harry’s mother, Princess Diana, was a trailblazer during the early days of the HIV epidemic promoting awareness on the condition. She was credited with changing people’s attitudes about the disease when she was photographed shaking hands with a patient during a visit to the UK’s first AIDS clinic. “Quite often I look at that photo of Diana at the clinic next to those frail-looking men and then I look at a photo of myself out on my bike and it motivates me because I can see how things have changed and advanced,” Thomas told the Mirror. He added, “It also makes me realise how lucky I am because I see what it was like for them and I know 30 years ago that could have been me.” Thomas also shared he’s received calls from other UK luminaries like Elton John. The rugby star said he had to pull off the road when he got the call from the music legend. “He said, ‘What you are doing is a brilliant thing,’” said Thomas. “It’s really brave of you. I’ll support you all the way.” Others expressing their support include actress Samantha Womack and Andy Bell, lead singer of Erasure. Demonstrating the strength of his health (Thomas shared in his message that his viral load is undetectable), the ITV sportscaster followed his coming out by participating in an Iron Man event in Tenby just hours after his announcement. He finished the grueling athletic event in 12 hours, 18 minutes and 29 seconds, coming in 413th out of 2,039 participants.
Thank you Tenby. Yesterday was not about me, it was about you, and you delivered, and some!!!i can’t write this without thanking Peter Willis and @MirrorGemma of the @DailyMirror for all their support and giving me hope in a system that took me to the edge.xx pic.twitter.com/bpIxYQo7nD
— Gareth Thomas (@gareththomas14) September 16, 2019
Rugby Legend Gareth Thomas Comes Out As HIV+
In a candid video message shared via social media, rugby legend Gareth Thomas (above) has revealed that he is HIV-positive. Thomas, who came out publicly as gay in 2009 and retired from the sport in 2011, made the announcement Saturday in a video posted on Twitter. As part of his message, he shared he was making the announcement now because he was ‘being blackmailed’ over his status. “I want to share my secret with you,” the former Wales rugby star shares in the video message. “Why? Because it’s mine to tell you. Not the evils that make my life hell by threatening to tell you before I do. And because I believe in you and I trust you.” After pausing for a moment, the 45-year-old athlete continued, “I’m living with HIV.” “Now you have that information, that makes me extremely vulnerable, but it does not make me weak,” he added. “Now, even though I’ve been forced to tell you this, I choose to fight to educate and break the stigma around this subject. And that begins today.” “Everyone lives in fear of people’s reactions and opinions to something about them, but that doesn’t mean we should have to hide,” concluded the rugby icon. “But to do this I really, really need your support.”
— Gareth Thomas (@gareththomas14) September 14, 2019
Courageous as ever – legend on the pitch and legend off it. You have our support Gareth. W https://t.co/WXGof2N3j8
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) September 15, 2019
So much respect for your strength and courage. Wishing you all the best @gareththomas14. https://t.co/IckMwggu0N
— British & Irish Lions (@lionsofficial) September 15, 2019
Gareth Thomas has again shown enormous strength in declaring himself HIV positive. A role model challenging stigma and prejudice. His example offers hope and resolve to others. Solidarity, @gareththomas14. https://t.co/kpJPbWgBoB
— Jeremy Corbyn (@jeremycorbyn) September 14, 2019
A Year After Attacking Trans Soldiers Trump Goes After HIV+ Military Service Members
It was one year ago today that Donald Trump tweeted his intention to ban transgender people from serving in the U.S. armed forces.
Now, the Trump administration seems to be turning his attention to HIV positive service members.
A February 14 Department of Defense memo announced a new “Deploy or Get Out!” policy which goes into effect on October 1.
The new policy orders the Pentagon to discharge those service members who are unable to be deployed outside the U.S. for more than a year. According to Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, the point was to ensure “readiness” within the U.S. military.
But an existing DOD policy dating back to the height of the AIDS epidemic prohibits HIV+ service members from being deployed overseas. Therefore, the new guidance would appear to make it impossible to serve their country.
HIV+ folks are prohibited from enlisting in the Armed Forces. Soldiers who are already serving but later seroconvert are allowed to stay in the military, but cannot be deployed in combat or overseas.
Two soldiers have filed separate lawsuits – Doe v. Mattis and Harrison v. Mattis – hoping to stop the new policy from going into effect.
Forty-one-year old Sgt. Nick Harrison is afraid his life would be dramatically affected by the new policy.
From HIVPlusMag:
Sgt. Harrison hopes to make a difference for other members of the Armed Forces. He isn’t being secretive about his identity, either. Harrison was deployed to both Afghanistan and Kuwait, but was diagnosed with HIV shortly after returning home from Kuwait in 2012. “This case is not just about me,” Harrison said. “This is about every person living with HIV knowing that they can perform any job in the world, including serving in the military. Together, we must stop the Pentagon from closing its doors to successful and talented service members. I look forward to the day that I can serve my country to the full extent of my abilities, based on my performance and unfettered by unfounded fears and misperceptions about HIV.”
Harrison also claims that the military’s policy wrongfully blocked him from ascending to Judge Advocate General officer of the D.C. National Guard, reports Bloomberg, because members living with HIV also cannot achieve officer status.
Scott Schoettes, Counsel and HIV Project Director at Lambda Legal, issued this statement regarding the discriminatory policy:
“Soldiers, sailors, fighter pilots and marines are seeing their promising careers cut short, their dreams of service shattered and their health jeopardized due to antiquated notions about HIV and the stigma that results. This must end. If the court doesn’t intervene, the Trump administration will continue to discharge more promising service members living with HIV, denying them the ability to continue serving their country. Every day, people living with HIV are suffering professional setbacks and losing out on career advancement opportunities, and we are asking this court to put an end to these harmful actions.”
According to HIVPlusMag, approximately 1,200 service members could be affected by the policy change.
InstaHunk Jack Mackenroth Takes A Break From HIV Activism
![]() |
| Jack Mackenroth and Ralph (image via Instagram) |
In 2008, while competing as a contestant on the reality series Project Runway, Jack Mackenroth shared with the world his HIV-positive status.
And since then, Mackenroth has dedicated much of his time working with HIV/AIDS non-profits as an outspoken activist.
In a new interview, Mackenroth tells HIV PLUS, “I don’t mind being a poster boy for HIV.”
“I was very cognizant of what I was doing when I came out on national TV a decade ago, because the HIV conversation had virtually disappeared from mainstream television,” he adds.
But after ten years of non-stop activism, the popular InstaHunk says he is “moving away from the non-profit sector” because he needs a break.
“The issue with non-profit stuff is that you are overworked and underpaid,” Mackenroth explains. “Like teachers, people expect that we should basically volunteer our services because we are doing important work.”
“I’m getting really close to 50, and I can’t be hoofing it all the time. It’s [also] relatively thankless work. I’m not doing it for accolades, but everyone likes… to feel like something beneficial is coming from your job.”
Diagnosed with HIV at the age of 19 in 1990, Mackenroth didn’t plan for the future because he didn’t think he’d have one.
“I thought I was going to die at 25,” he told HIV. “My boyfriend died at 27. Until my mid-30s, I was like: ‘Why should I have a 401k?’ I wasn’t planning ahead. It’s been over the past decade, where I’m like, ‘I’m going to live. I need to plan for the future.’”
Now, years later, Mackenroth has gone back to university to obtain a degree in nursing, plus he’s recently launched an OnlyFans.com account in an effort to monetize his large Instagram fan base.
Even though he won’t be working in the non-profit arena, the hunk says he’ll never leave HIV activism completely. Thanks to social media, he admits, “I get two to three Instagram messages a day from someone in a foreign country who just found out [they’re HIV-positive].”
“I still respond to nearly everyone who reaches out,” he assures. “I’m always available to talk. I’m very accessible. [People can] message me on Twitter or Instagram.”
When talking about HIV, Mackenroth is big on promoting the message that undetectable equals untransmittable (U=U).
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed last October that HIV-positive people whose viral loads are suppressed to the point that they are undetectable cannot transmit HIV to sexual partners.
Mackenroth says people who are newly diagnosed with HIV often feel like, “I can never have sex again. I’m going to [transmit to] my partner.”
The former Project Runway star is emphatic in his advice: “Get on your meds, get undetectable, and you — and everyone else — will be fine!”
Social Experiment: “I’m HIV+”
Even though we are 35+ years into the HIV/AIDS epidemic, the social stigma attached to the virus continues to leave many paralyzed with fear.
With that in mind, George Hankers, a HIV-positive blogger, stood blindfolded in the middle of Trafalgar Square with a sign asking strangers to leave him a message of positivity on a giant poster board.
The incredible amount of love and support from people who wanted him to know that he is not alone was overwhelming for Hankers.
From Mashable:
Hankers’ blindfold is symbolic of his feelings after he was first diagnosed with HIV. He battled with very low self-esteem and felt he’d “been blinded from hope.” But this social experiment has restored his sense of hope.
“The sense of unity I had after the experiment was very heartwarming — people would touch my hand or reach out and give me a hug,” says Hankers. “It made me want to take off the blindfold and not be sheltered from their generosity. It really goes to show that there is more comfort out there for people living with HIV than we initially think.”
You may recall a similar video experiment a couple years wherein a Finnish man stood next to a sign which read, “I’m HIV-Positive. Touch me.”
Follow Hankers’ blog at StillHumanBlog.com.
First HIV+ Donor To HIV+ Patient Transplants
Big news for HIV+ patients who are in need of an organ transplant.
Surgeons at Johns Hopkins University Medical Center have successfully performed both liver and kidney transplants from an HIV+ donor to HIV+ patients.
From the Los Angeles Times:
In a first that gives HIV-infected patients yet another chance for long lives, surgeons at Johns Hopkins University Medical Center have transplanted a kidney and a liver from a dead donor who was HIV-positive into two HIV-positive recipients.
The transplant surgeries, which used organs donated by the family of an HIV-positive woman, ended a 25-year stretch in which the organs of HIV-infected people willing to donate them were rejected for use in transplants.
The experimental procedure follows the 2013 enactment of the HIV Organ Policy Equity Act, or HOPE, which repealed the ban on using such organs for transplantation.
“This is an unbelievably exciting day for our hospital and our team, but more importantly for patients living with both HIV and end-stage organ disease,” said Dr. Dorry L. Segev, the Johns Hopkins surgeon who performed the surgeries.
There are over 120,000 patients on the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network’s waiting list. On average, 22 patients die every day while awaiting an available organ.
Russia looks to mandate fingerprinting of HIV+ people
A bill has been introduced in the Russian legislature that would require the fingerprinting of HIV+ people.
Roman Khudyakov[State Duma deputy Roman Khudyakov] explained he came up with the idea because sometimes infected people change their names and disappear from the state system. Khudyakov says fingerprinting would make it impossible. In addition, universal fingerprinting would make it easier to fight crime, reduce the amount of bureaucratic red tape, and solve many social problems where quick identification is often required.
The bill on universal fingerprinting was drafted by the Liberal Democratic party in August last year. It orders every Russian resident, regardless of citizenship, to register at their place of permanent residence and undergo fingerprinting. The current bill suggests those who refuse can be punished with 50,000 ruble fines (about $1400) and non-citizens could be deported, and banned from entering Russia for 15-years. The bill has been supported by the government but there have been no parliamentary debates on it yet.
HIV Plus Mag points out that due to the stigmatization of the LGBT community in Russia, the law is likely to pass.