Breaking: House Republicans Reverse On Gutting Ethics Rules Change

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan

House Republicans have now u-turned on their plan to gut the Congressional independent ethics panel.

From CNN:

House Republican leaders have pulled a proposal that would gut its independent ethics panel, amid widespread criticism of the plan, multiple lawmakers tell CNN.

The decision comes less than two hours after President-elect Donald Trump criticized the timing of the vote, which was scheduled for the first day of the new congressional session.

Trump called out his fellow Republicans Tuesday for proposing to curb the powers of the independent ethics panel as their first move of the year, although the President-elect suggested the ethics panel was “unfair.”

“With all that Congress has to work on, do they really have to make the weakening of the Independent Ethics Watchdog, as unfair as it … may be, their number one act and priority. Focus on tax reform, healthcare and so many other things of far greater importance! #DTS,” Trump said over two consecutive tweets.

The decision came after House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy told reporters the vote was moving forward. He admitted he opposed the change and said he believed it should be done in a “bipartisan fashion” but said House Speaker Paul Ryan created an open process and “sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.”

House Republicans voted 119-74 during a closed-door meeting in favor of Virginia Rep. Bob Goodlatte’s proposal, which would place the independent Office of Congressional Ethics under the control of those very lawmakers, a move that outraged Democrats and outside ethics organizations. The full House of Representatives is expected to vote on it as part of a larger rules package up for consideration Tuesday.

Did Marco Rubio Just Violate Senate Ethics Rules On Fundraising?

Rubio gave an interview to Fox News’ Neil Cavuto on Tuesday, speaking from the Russell Senate Office Building. When asked about lagging behind some of his rivals for the Republican presidential nomination, the senator attempted to tout the strength of his fundraising.

In doing so, however, Rubio made a direct appeal for donations.

“I knew we wouldn’t be the leading fundraiser in this race, because we are not the top choice of the entrenched political establishment,” Rubio told Cavuto. “But I’m confident we have the resources and continue to build the resources to be able to communicate our message. And obviously if somebody watching this program wants to help us, they should go to marcorubio.com and chip in.”

According to Senate ethics rules, “Senate Members and staff may not receive or solicit campaign contributions in any federal building.”

(via Huffington Post)

FBI Launches Investigation Into Aaron Schock Campaign Expenses

Earlier this week, Illinois Congressman Aaron Schock surprised many with his sudden resignation from Congress.  Many saw the departure as a way to escape an ethics investigation.

That may have ended the congressional ethics issue, but now the FBI is looking into his campaign fund expenses which could lead to serious legal troubles.

From CNN:

Schock in recent days announced plans to resign, citing controversy surrounding allegations that he improperly accounted for travel and other contributions from donors and reimbursements for campaign use of a personal car. But the probe managed by prosecutors in the U.S. Attorney’s office in Springfield, Ill., means his legal troubles are just beginning.

The FBI has now begun delivering subpoenas seeking testimony before a grand jury in Springfield, Ill.

A controversy that began with questions sparked by a light-hearted profile of Schock’s “Downton Abbey”-themed office ballooned into a full-blown scandal over the past month that caused the rising GOP star’s rapid fall from grace.

A U.S. law enforcement official says the investigation is at an early stage. Justice Department officials were monitoring published reports about Schock’s expense troubles and were taken by surprise when he announced his resignation, according to another U.S. law enforcement official.

Rep. Aaron Schock Reimburses Government $35,000 For Office Decor

Rep. Aaron Schock (L) talks with ABC News

USA Today is reporting that Congressman Aaron Schock has repaid the government $35,000 for office renovations after allegations of improper use of government funds.

“As he said he would, Congressman Schock has fulfilled his commitment to pay for all the renovation costs of the 18th Congressional District office in Washington,” said a statement released by Schock’s office Friday. “Even though office expenses are often covered by the Member Representational Allowance, the Congressman believed it appropriate to pay these costs himself as part of the office review process.”

USA TODAY has reported that Schock had spent more $100,000 than of his taxpayer-funded account on office renovations in prior years. The expenses included thousands for leather furniture, hardwood floors and marble countertops for his offices in his central Illinois congressional district.

According to the report, the government had apparently been paid $35,000 through Schock’s office. As the story now goes, his decorator refunded that $35,000 to the government and Schock then paid via his own personal funds.

Schock has drawn much attention lately for questionable real estate sales and expenses through his office.

He retained high powered ethics lawyers this week, and he’s announced full reviews of office spending to help ensure compliance with Congressional rules.

It’s Friday! Time For One More Aaron Schock Debacle

Blue Nation Review reports on Illinois Congressman Aaron Schock’s sale of his home to a political donor for much more than the home was estimated to be worth.

Ruh-roh.

The month before the 2012 elections, Congressman Schock sold his house to a major Republican donor who was also one of his campaign supporters for a price that appears to far exceed the market value at the time.

Ali Bahaj – then a Vice President at Caterpillar – and his wife Gloria have donated more than $45,000 over the last decade to the Caterpillar PAC and various Republican officeholders – including Congressman Schock.

In fact, Federal Election Commission records show that Mr. and Mrs. Bahaj each made the maximum allowable donation to Aaron Schock’s campaign in 2008.

Congressman Schock on October 16, 2012 sold his home to the Bahajs for $925,000.

Zillow estimates that the house was worth approximately $695,000 that month. It’s possible Congressman Schock just got incredibly lucky finding the right buyer to throw him a life raft as homeowners around him were drowning.

But it begs the question: Was this transaction more than just luck?

Blue Nation Review found several nearby comparable homes that never got near that price range.

Well, things happen. I can attest that I got lucky when I sold my home in LA in 2004. I sold near the very top of the market then. Of course, I didn’t happen to sell to a political donor of mine. (p.s. I don’t have any political donors…)

According to Zillow, Schock sold his home at just about the rock bottom of the Peoria real estate market:

If Schock had sold to a stranger for a higher than average price, it might have been one thing. But, it seems that Congressman Schock sold his home at what appears to be an inflated price to a political donor.

First, “OfficeGate.”

Then, racist top aide calls African-Americans zoo animals.

Now, this.

Happy Friday, Aaron Schock. I’ll bet no one wanted to end the week more than you.

Good thing you’ve got your health.

Totally not gay Rep. Aaron Schock of Illinois

Rep. Aaron Schock Says He’s Never Seen “Downton Abbey”

Congressman Aaron Schock interviewed by ABC News’ Jeff Zeleny

A few days ago I reported on the “Downton Abbey” themed congressional office of GOP Congressman Aaron Schock of Illinois.

At the time, it was a bit of a light-hearted story as gay rumors have followed the congressman for years. So, having a bright red, “Downton Abbey” inspired office seemed right up the young legislator’s alley.

Now – however – after all the attention, it seems Schock has been hit with an ethics violation inquiry as it seems he’s spent a LOT of money on decorating his office and it seems to be coming out of the taxpayer’s pocket. In addition, his decorator said he offered her services for free which is considered a violation in itself.

In December 2009 he paid $7,400 to an Illinois design/build firm called KBL Design Center, and then another $21,000 to a hardwood floor company, a building contractor and company called Old World Granite and Marble that apparently makes high-end countertops. He then spent $6,600 on an Illinois painting contractor.

Two months later, Schock spent $79,061 on furniture purchases, including $5,123 from a company called Mulnix Industries that specializes in hardwood podiums.

Around the same time, Schock spent more than $4,000 with a fine-leather furniture company called Garrett Leather.

[snip]

The Washington Post story quoted the designer of Schock’s Capitol Hill office as saying she provided her design services to Schock for free. That led the liberal group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington to file a complaint Tuesday with the House alleging that Schock may have received an improper gift.

Schock says he paid his decorator last time she worked for him, and he will again.

And, he denies having ever seen a single episode of “Downton Abbey.”

Riiiiiiiiiiight. That’s why his offices were decorated in this bold manner.

Jon Bon Jovi calls Justin Bieber out for being late: “Go to f***in’ work!”

Jon Bon Jovi is a real American rock star. He has the pedigree, he is the real thing. Been there, still doing that.

So when he calls Justin Bieber out for being late to his own shows, you’ve got to know you’re hearing from an elder statesman of rock – so pay attention, Mr. Bieber:

In an interview with the London Evening Standard, the 51-year-old musician slammed Bieber for showing up two hours late to a concert at the O2 arena in March.

“Every generation has guys that do that, none of that is new,” he told the newspaper of Bieber’s tardiness. “They run the risk of disrespecting their audience members who have worked hard to pay for their ticket, to give you the permission to take two or three hours of their lives — or in that kid’s case, 80 minutes of their lives.”

The rocker told the U.K. paper that Bieber needs to know that keeping his fans waiting isn’t cool, and he can’t let it happen again:

“Do it once, you can be forgiven. Do it enough times and shame on you. They won’t have you back. Then it just becomes a cliché. It’s really not cool — you’re an asshole. Go to f***in’ work!”

(via Huffington Post)

Michele Bachmann under investigation for alleged presidential campaign “improprieties”

According to the Daily Beast, Michele Bachmann is currently being investigated by the Office of Congressional Ethics for “improprieties” regarding her failed presidential campaign.

From the Daily Beast report:

Federal investigators are now interviewing former Bachmann campaign staffers nationwide about alleged intentional campaign-finance violations. The investigators are working on behalf of the Office of Congressional Ethics, which probes reported improprieties by House members and their staffs and then can refer cases to the House Ethics Committee.

Former staffers tell The Daily Beast that investigators have allegedly asked about allegations of improper transfer of funds and under-the-table payments actions by Bachmann’s presidential campaign, specifically in relation to the campaign’s national political director, Guy Short, and Bachmann’s onetime Iowa campaign chairman, state Sen. Kent Sorenson. Questions directly about Bachmann, they said, have been primarily focused on what she knew about those men’s actions and when she knew it.

Well, well, well… things that make you go “hmm…”