New York Sees First Decline In Daily COVID-19 Deaths

The state of New York reported its first decline in daily coronavirus deaths possibly signaling better days on the horizon.

From Bloomberg News:

New York State reported 594 new coronavirus deaths on Sunday, fewer than the 630 it reported on Saturday, Governor Andrew Cuomo said at his daily news briefing. The state has had 4,159 fatalities so far.

New Jersey, which has the second-highest number of U.S. cases, reported a slowdown in the death rate: Fatalities rose by 71 on Sunday, compared with 200 the day before. It also reported fewer new cases, 3,381, for a total of 37,505. Total deaths are 917.

As President Donald Trump and other leaders warned of rising death tolls, Cuomo said it was too early to say if the outbreak had reached a peak in New York — the center of the nation’s outbreak.

“You could argue that you are seeing a plateauing,” he told reporters in Albany. “Next week they will tell you whether we are on a plateau or is it just a blip,” he said, referring to statisticians.

Additional encouraging signs: New hospitalizations declined to 574 on Sunday from 1,095, and 74% of those hospitalized have been discharged.

CDC Now Recommends Public Wear Face Masks

Donald Trump announced Friday that the CDC is recommending that the public wear a “basic cloth or fabric mask” in public to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

In making the announcement, the White House underscored the recommendation was not for the use of “medical-grade or surgical-grade masks.”

However, at the Coronavirus Task Force briefing, Trump told the press, “I don’t think I’m going to be doing it.”

Surgeon General Jerome Adams explained that there are a significant portion of people infected by the virus who are asymptomatic or presymptomatic, but who can nonetheless transmit the virus. The recommendation to wear masks in public is intended to prevent these individuals from unknowingly infecting others.

Target & Walmart Will Begin ‘Metering’ Number Of Customers In Stores

Walmart stores doing more to protect customers and employees during coronavirus epidemic

Walmart stores doing more to protect customers and employees during coronavirus epidemic

Walmart and Target have both announced new measures to encourage social distancing among its customers.

According to Reuters, Walmart will:

• Limit the number of customers in a store to no more than 5 customers per 1,000 square feet. Employees will be at the doors admitting patrons one-by-one.

• The store is also providing masks and gloves for store associates, doing staff temperature checks and expanding paid leave policies.

• Next week, some stores will be implementing one-way movement through aisles.

On Thursday, Target announced it would begin “metering” the number of customers inside all of its nearly 1,900 stores starting Saturday.

“To promote social distancing with its team and guests, Target will monitor store traffic, and meter, or limit, the number of guests inside stores, when needed,” reads a press release from the company.

“Occupancy limits will vary by location and be determined by the store’s specific square footage to enhance the average space per person and reduce the possibility of congestion,” continued the statement. “If metering is required, a Target team member will provide a designated waiting area outside with social distancing markers.”

Scam Artist “Blows Wind” At COVID-19

Kenneth Copeland (screen captures)

Scamvangelist Kenneth Copeland sermonizes against COVID-19.

Make sure you get to the 1:40 mark where he literally spits into the air declaring, “COVID-19, I blow the wind of God on you.”

Nope, he doesn’t look crazy at all.

Not. At. All.

p.s. I think the video is quite the visual metaphor as Copeland speaks to an empty audience and his minions simply repeat him verbatim.

Dr. Fauci: “I Don’t Understand” Why The Entire Country Isn’t Under ‘Stay At Home’ Orders

(image via CNN)

During an interview with CNN Thursday night, Dr. Anthony Fauci said all Americans should be under a ‘stay at home’ order and the entire country should be operating via the same guidelines in terms of self-isolating in order to best bring the coronavirus to heel.

“I don’t understand why that’s not happening,” said Fauci, a member of the White House COVID-19 Task Force. “As you said, the tension between federally mandated versus states’ rights to do what they want is something I don’t want to get into. But if you look at what is going on in this country, I do not understand why we are not doing that. We really should be.”

As of today, there has not been a federally mandated order for the entire country regarding the ongoing coronavirus threat.

Currently, 39 states and Washington, D.C., are under stay-at-home orders.

Eleven states – all red states –  have not issued statewide orders.

Six states have regions with local lockdowns – Alabama, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, and Wyoming.

But it’s a total free for all in Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

NJ: Couple Charged For Holding 40+ Party In Front Yard

(stock image via Samantha Gades/Unsplash)

Folks, stop with the f**king parties. Ok?

From NBCPhiladelphia:

Lakewood Police and Ocean County prosecutors said Eliezer Silber, 37, and Miriam Silber, 34, held a gathering of 40 to 50 people in the yard and street in front of their home Sunday. Police dispersed the crowd and charged the Silbers with five counts of endangering the welfare of a child, one count for each of their five kids who were in the home.

“My Office will prosecute any individual who defies or breaks the law, State of Emergency or otherwise. Everyone must respect and follow the law,” Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley Billhimer said in a statement.

The Silbers were apparently holding a bat mitzvah in their home, New Jersey State Police Col. Patrick Callahan said at a news conference Monday. Since Gov. Murphy’s executive order, Callahan added, police statewide have dealt with 70 compliance issues and 34 indictable offenses.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy is not suffering fools lightly:

CNN Anchor Chris Cuomo Tests Positive For Coronavirus

CNN anchor Chris Cuomo (via Instagram)

CNN Anchor Chris Cuomo has announced he’s tested positive for coronavirus.

Via Twitter, Cuomo (brother to New York state Governor Andrew Cuomo) wrote, “I have been exposed to people in recent days who have subsequently tested positive and I have fever, chills and shortness of breath. I just hope I didn’t give it to the kids and Cristina. That would make me feel worse than this illness!”

Cuomo adds that he is quarantined in his basement and will continue to do his evening shows from there.


Chris Cuomo (image via Instagram)

NYC: Homocon Hosts ‘Corona Potluck’ Party During Health Crisis

(image via NY Post)

Gay conservative Lucian Wintrich, who founded ‘Twinks 4 Trump,’ decided the best way for him to cope with the ongoing coronavirus threat was to host a ‘Corona Potluck’ party at his home in New York City’s East Village.

“They can’t diagnose us all,” declared Wintrich’s invitation for the March 14 shindig. “Don’t wash your hands. Bring your favorite dish!”

The artwork for the invitation included a little boy covered with spots on his face.

Note – at the time the invitation was sent the “can’t diagnose us all” part of the invite was true as there was a shortage of COVID-19 tests available. That’s still the case in some parts of the country.

“The majority of folks I invited, if they got it, would recover fairly quickly and build up an immunity to the present form of COVID19,” Wintrich told the New York Post. “It was relatively inspired by the chickenpox parties that were all the rage in the 90s.”

In the 1990s “chickenpox parties” were a trend among parents as a way to inoculate their children against the chickenpox virus later in life. The idea was to expose their kids to disease while young so they would develop natural immunity, but the practice fell out of favor once a vaccine was developed.

Note – Medical experts haven’t confirmed if people develop an immunity to COVID-19 after recovering from the disease.

It’s disconcerting that Wintrich says “the majority” of invited friends would recover quickly. So, he invited people who he felt might NOT recover quickly?

Admitting the health threat is “serious to a degree,” Wintrich added, “I wouldn’t hang around folks over the age of 50 and risk infecting the more vulnerable.”

It’s important to note that while seniors have been identified as being more ‘at risk’ from serious illness due to coronavirus, younger people are not considered ‘safe’ from infection.

A 40-year-old attendee of the Winter Party festival in Miami earlier this month died in less than a week from complications due to coronavirus.

After founding ’Twinks 4 Trump,’ Wintrich gained dubious notoriety for being briefly credentialed as a White House reporter for the alt-right blog Gateway Pundit. His boss, openly gay Jim Hoft, admitted he sent Wintrich to ask ridiculous questions and basically annoy the White House press corps.

L-R Jim Hoft, Lucien Wintrich (image via Gateway Pundit)

The Post spoke to two attendees of the party to get their perspective on the contrarian approach to the ongoing health threat.

One attendee, who asked to remain anonymous to avoid repercussions from friends and co-workers, referenced World War II as part of his rationale for taking part in the event.

“When Britain was being bombed by Nazi Germany during the blitz, they kept the f–king stores open. People went about their lives,” they told the Post. “We get a flu … and we shut everything down. … We have completely handed over our civil liberties … and anyone who wants to go out and live a normal life is semi-ostracized.”

Brian Alacorn, 24, said he went to the party because “Lucian is my friend and he texted me.”

“I thought I shouldn’t, because of the social distancing – but my friends were already outside and I just kinda went.”

The event took place after all Broadway theaters had been shut down and the governor had declared a state of emergency.

Just hours after the ‘potluck party’ ended the New York City Health Department issued guidelines telling people “even if you are not sick, stay home as much as you can: work from home, study from home and avoid all unnecessary interactions and events.”

At this writing, there have been 790 coronavirus-related deaths in New York City alone.

(source: New York Post)

Dr. Anthony Fauci Talks Real Facts About COVID-19

So, if you want to ask the questions about coronavirus you really want answers to from a world-renowned infectious disease expert without an orange cheeto grandstanding, here’s your chance.

Lilly Singh chats with Dr. Anthony Fauci on many of the misconceptions about the virus and knocks down a lot of myths about the ongoing threat.

If you want the Cliff Notes version, basically:

• Coronavirus is not the flu – it is 10x more lethal. Don’t believe those folks comparing it to the flu.

• Coronavirus has a short amount of “hang time” in the air but is mainly transmitted via droplets sneezed or coughed into the air that land on you immediately.

• The virus can live on surfaces for different periods of time, more so on metal and plastic, less so on clothing. Wipe down surfaces in your home with disinfectant.

• Fauci says respiratory viruses, in general, survive better in cold, dry weather as opposed to hot, moist weather. Regarding coronavirus, scientists aren’t sure but Fauci has hope the warmer weather may help.

• Face masks can help but aren’t a sure thing. Fauci estimates they help to the tune of 50% prevention.

• There is no cure. There will be no vaccine for a year to a year and a half. There aren’t any drugs proven to help protect against coronavirus.

• More men are being diagnosed than women, but no one knows why. Perhaps men have more underlying conditions than women…?

• No evidence that Advil makes the virus worse.

• Because of the size of the United States, there’s no way to tell how long before things go back to “normal.” Expect several weeks

Watch Fauci and Singh chat below in more detail.

(h/t Boy Culture)

Drug Touted By Trump For COVID-19 Found To Be No More Effective Than Conventional Care

Pfizer has launched a large study to test its experimental oral drug to treat COVID-19

Bloomberg News reports a prescription drug Donald Trump touted as a treatment for coronavirus, Hydroxychloroquine, was the focus of a small study that found it to be no more effective than conventional care.

The report published by the Journal of Zhejiang University in China showed that patients who got the medicine didn’t fight off the new coronavirus more often than those who did not get the medicine.

The study involved just 30 patients. Of the 15 patients given the malaria drug, 13 tested negative for the coronavirus after a week of treatment. Of the 15 patients who didn’t get hydroxychloroquine, 14 tested negative for the virus. The results of the study weren’t statistically significant.

Medical experts had said there was a chance the drug might have some efficacy against COVID-19 but insisted further testing was needed before being recommended.

After the Trumpster praised the medication saying he had a “good feeling” about the drug’s effectiveness and that it was “already approved by the FDA” experts stepped up to clarify that Hydroxychloroquine has only been approved to treat malaria and not coronavirus.

On Monday, the wife of an Arizona man who died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate (a version of the chemical) to protect himself from the novel coronavirus spoke out Monday to urge the public not to “believe anything” without first speaking to a healthcare professional.

“We saw Trump on TV — every channel — and all of his buddies and that this was safe,” the woman told NBC News. “Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure.”