Buffalo Grocery Store Shooter Pleads Guilty

Payton Gendron pleaded guilty to state charges relating to the deadly mass shooting in Buffalo in a predominantly Black neighborhood
Payton Gendron (screen capture via CBS News)
Payton Gendron, the white 19-year-old who drove over 200 miles to carry out a deadly mass shooting at a Buffalo grocery store in a predominantly Black neighborhood, pleaded guilty today to state charges including one count of domestic terrorism motivated by hate. Eleven of the 13 people he shot that day were Black. Continue reading “Buffalo Grocery Store Shooter Pleads Guilty”

President Biden: White Supremacy Is A Poison, Has No Place In America

President Joe Biden traveled to Buffalo, New York, where he met with the families of victims from Saturday’s shooting rampage. In a speech he called white supremacy "a poison" that has no place in America.
President Joe Biden (screen capture)
President Joe Biden traveled to Buffalo, New York, on Tuesday where he met with the families of victims from Saturday’s shooting rampage spurred by hateful white supremacy theories. In a speech, Biden addressed racism and hate calling on Americans to “take on the haters” and “reject the lie” of racial replacement that reportedly led the white gunman to shoot and kill Black shoppers. Continue reading “President Biden: White Supremacy Is A Poison, Has No Place In America”

No Charges For Cops Who Shoved 75-Year-Old Resulting In Brain Injury

(screen capture)
The two Buffalo police officers who shoved a 75-year-old man during a protest last June and left the man bleeding in the street will not face any repercussions for their actions. “We as a society give police the authority to use force,” the District Attorney told reporters today. “The question comes down to if it crossed the line.” From The Daily Beast:

A grand jury has declined to indict two Buffalo cops caught on camera shoving a 75-year-old protester during a June 2020 anti-police brutality protest and leaving him in a pool of blood, Erie County District Attorney John Flynn announced Thursday.

Aaron Torgalski, 39, and Robert McCabe, 32, were each charged with assault in the second degree, a Class D felony, for shoving Martin Gugino, a longtime peace activist in the upstate New York city, during the June 4 protest in the wake of George Floyd’s police killing.

A viral video showed Gugino falling down, blood pooling around his head after he hit the pavement. On June 30, Gugino was released from the hospital with a brain injury.

News Round-Up: June 17, 2020

Joel Green (via Instagram)
Some news items you might have missed: • InstaHunks: Wise words of the day from fitness guy Joel Green (above) – “It’s not about your reflection, it’s what you see beyond it.” #DreamBiggerWashington Blade: Sara Hegazy, 30, an LGBTQ rights activist from Egypt who was arrested for raising a rainbow flag during a 2017 concert in Cairo died by suicide on Sunday at her home in Canada. She was reportedly tortured for months in prison before an Egyptian court ordered her release on bail in January 2018. • KIT212: Kenneth’s weekly ‘Wrestle Wednesday’ (below) is really worth the click 🙂
(via kenneth-in-the-212)
CNN: Martin Gugino, the 75-year-old protester who was pushed to the ground by two Buffalo, New York police officers earlier this month, has a fractured skull and is still unable to walk, his lawyer said in a statement provided to CNN. Gugino’s attorney passed along a message from the senior protester: “I think it’s very unnecessary to focus on me. There are plenty of other things to think about besides me.” • NY Daily News: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has issued an order requiring all lawmakers to wear masks in committee hearings after Rep. Tom Rice (R-South Carolina) announced he and several family members have contracted the COVID-19 virus. Rice has refused to wear a mask at House meetings. Pelosi has ordered the Sargeant at Arms to deny entry by any violators. • OMG Blog: RuPaul is so good at ‘Family Feud’ he doesn’t even need to hear the question! Watch below.

Buffalo Police Officers Charged With Assault On 75-Year-Old

L-R Mug shots of suspended Buffalo police officers Aaron Torgalski and Robert McCabe
The two police officers in Buffalo, New York, that were suspended without pay after assaulting a 75-year-old man have been charged with assault in the second degree by the Erie County District Attorney’s Office. From KTNV:

The officers, 32-year-old Robert McCabe and 39-year-old Aaron Torgalski, were suspended without pay on Thursday after 75-year-old Martin Gugino was knocked down by police at a protest in Niagara Square.

Gugino was seriously injured and taken to ECMC, in a statement released through his attorney Friday he was said to be in serious but stable condition and was “alert and oriented.”

The entire force of the Buffalo Police Emergency Response Team resigned as of Friday afternoon. The 57 officers have not resigned from the department and will keep their jobs, they have only resigned from their roles on the Emergency Response Team.

A Buffalo PBA representative tells 7 Eyewitness News anchor Hannah Buehler “these officers were simply following orders given by DPC Joe Gramaglia to clear the Square.”

WKBW spoke with two of the officers who resigned from the Response Team who said the resignations weren’t a “show of support” for the two suspended officers. “I don’t understand why the union said it’s a thing of solidarity,” said one of the officers. “I think it sends the wrong message that ‘we’re backing our own’ and that’s not the case.” “We quit because our union said [they] aren’t legally backing us anymore,” said another. “So why would we stand on a line for the City with no legal backing if something [were to] happen? Has nothing to do with us supporting.”

Senior Hospitalized After Being Shoved By Cops, 57 Cops Resign From Response Team After 2 Suspended

(screen capture)
  UPDATE – The local NBC News affiliate in Buffalo reports:

The entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team has resigned from the team. That’s a total of 57 officers.

We’re told this is a show of support for the officers who are suspended without pay after shoving 75-year-old Martin Gugino. They are still employed, but no longer on ERT. Mayor Byron Brown responded saying the city is aware of these resignations.

Buffalo Police Commissioner Byron Lockwood issued this announcement: “As a longstanding member of the City of Buffalo Police Department, I know that our officers are fully committed to serving and protecting our community. While some officers have chosen to remove themselves from a voluntary assignment with the ERT, it is important to note that no officers have actually resigned from the police force. “I want to reassure our citizens that they will be protected in any peaceful gatherings that ensue and that our department remains focused on the security of our community.”

**********************************************

For those who wonder why people protest about police brutality… A man identified as Martin Gugino was shoved to the ground and eventually hospitalized as police in Buffalo, New York, last night as police were attempting to clear protesters in front of City Hall. From Buffalo News:

A 75-year-old protester was injured Thursday night after being pushed to the ground by police as officers clearing Niagara Square as the citywide curfew went into effect.

Following the incident, which drew swift national attention and mass condemnation after video of it was viewed millions of times, the Buffalo Police Department suspended two officers without pay and began an Internal Affairs investigation, according to a police official and a department spokesman.

As seen in the video, as police advance, Gugino approaches the officers with what appears to be a phone in his right hand and a helmet in his left. He appears to point to the baton of one of the officers as the word “Move” can be heard amid shouts in the background.

The officer Gugino pointed to then pushes Gugino with his right hand and Gugino falls backward to the ground, where his head hits the sidewalk. One officer appears to reach down to check on him, but another officer pulls him back and the first officer continues walking. Other officers walk by and do not immediately come to Gugino’s aid.

You can see blood dripping out of Gugino’s ear as he lay unconscious (screen capture)
Initially, the Buffalo Police Department issued a statement that claimed Gugino “tripped and fell,” a description at direct odds with the video. Gugino is reportedly in serious but stable condition at Erie County Medical Center. At this writing, the video has been viewed over 65 million times.

Study Shows Which U.S. Cities Have Highest Rate Of Anti-Gay Tweets

Adobo.com, a site that helps tenants find apartments, did an analysis of 12 million tweets ranging from June 2014 to December 2015, looking for slurs and other language which could be considered prejudicial against certain minority groups (African-Americans, Hispanic/Latinos, women, gays and lesbians, transgender people, etc).

The study found that the city of Buffalo, New York, uses the highest rate of anti-gay tweets.

Referencing the study, LGBT activist Margaret Smith told the Buffalo News, “What this tells me is there’s a lot of work to be done. This is about a lot more than marriage. We are our words. Tweeting is a little anonymous, as is online behavior. But right now, there’s lot of people on television giving lots of other people permission to be hateful.”