NBA’s Jason Collins marches in Boston Pride Parade

Openly gay NBA player Jason Collins marched in Boston’s pride parade yesterday.

From Sports Illustrated:

Delivering on a promise he made in an essay for Sports Illustrated in which he revealed that he was gay, Wizards free-agent center Jason Collins marched in Boston’s annual pride parade on Saturday.

Wearing a black Nike shirt with rainbow lettering that read “#BETRUE”, Collins joined his former college roommate and current Massachusetts congressman Joe Kennedy at the event, which drew thousands of attendees and is in its 43rd year.

WCBV.com reported that Boston’s parade drew 230 groups this year, making it the second-largest such event, trailing only New York City.

(via JMG)

Three more suspects in custody regarding Boston bombings

JoeMyGod points out this developing story that 3 more suspects have been taken into custody regarding the Boston bombings.

From Boston.com:

Three college students have been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings, a Boston police source said this morning. The Boston police official Twitter account said that three additional “suspects” had been taken into custody. The source said the three had been arrested by federal authorities.

London Marathon: The better part of humanity on display

At the London Marathon today, participants observed a moment of silence for the victims of the Boston marathon, and wore black ribbons in their honor.

CBS News:

Moments before the majority of runners set off on the grinding course, announcer Geoff Wightman used the loudspeakers to ask for silence. He described marathon running as a global sport that unites runners and supporters in every continent in a spirit of friendship.

“This week the world marathon family was shocked and saddened by the events at the Boston Marathon,” he said as he asked the people gathered to “remember our friends and colleagues for whom a day of joy turned into a day of sadness.”

As those gathered responded to his call, the only noise that could be heard was the buzz of helicopters and the beeping of a truck.

The silence as the camera pans back and you see the stillness and respect held for their injured and fallen brothers and sisters is very moving.

This is human. This is humanity.

Big Papi speech for Boston: “This is our f**king city – stay strong”

Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz got the Federal Communications Commission’s seal of approval after he dropped an F-bomb in a pre-game speech that was broadcast on live television. Ortiz’s R-rated remarks were delivered on the field at Fenway Park before the first Red Sox home game since Monday’s bombing at the Boston Marathon.

(FCC chairman Julius Genachowski immediately gave the network a pass on the language violation.  See below.)

On top of the Ortiz speech, Neil Diamond flew himself to Boston this morning and offered to perform the Fenway Park standard Sweet Caroline in person.

Boston, you’re great.  Always have been, always will be.

(via JMG)

Arkansas: State rep Nate Bell refers to Bostonians as “cowering” in aftermath of Boston bombing

Nate Bell, a GOP state representative in Arkansas decided to take to Twitter yesterday and insult the brave people in Boston as “cowering” in their homes in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombing. Not smart.

Bell quickly deleted the Tweet but the world saw it.  Funny thing about the internet….

Bostonian Brian Folkins-Amador hits the right note in his Facebook response. This is pretty much the perfect response to an idiot.

From the Facebook of Brian Folkins-Amador:

Arkansas State Representative Nate Bell tweeted, “I wonder how many Boston liberals spent the night cowering in their homes wishing they had an AR-15 with a high-capacity magazine?”.

I’d like to answer that: Probably none. Believe it or not, we Boston liberals slept just fine, thank you. Unlike you, we don’t need a gun by our side to feel unafraid. Unlike you, apparently, we know that no gun, no matter how powerful, would have done a bit of good in preventing the Boston Marathon bombing. Do you really believe that guns would have given you, or anyone else, the prescience to know that these kids were going to plant bombs? And if it had been so, what would you have done? Shot two people in the middle of a huge crowd of spectators?

I slept fine last night, even without a gun by my side, and I’ll tell you why. Because I saw how our law enforcement agents and elected officials responded immediately to a crisis, taking extraordinary measures to protect the public, to bring the bombers to justice, and to assure people that everything possible was being done to keep us safe. I saw how the state and federal governments, the media, and the public cooperated to create the space for law enforcement to do its job. I saw how the second suspect was captured alive after countless human hours of patient, painstaking study of the available evidence. In short, I saw how civilization triumphed over evil, how a rational, coordinated effort limited the potential loss of human life. I saw how my city, which I, as a transplant, have often seen as cold, unfriendly and uncaring, pulled together in a way I would have thought unimaginable, with a sense of common purpose that even now brings tears to my eyes. I saw how this common effort prevented further loss of life. I don’t need a gun. If you think that your firearms would have made you any safer in our situation, you’re entitled to your opinion. But don’t assume we share it. We happen to believe that there are stronger protections than lethal weapons. Mr. Bell, Wayne LaPierre, Alex Jones and other gun worshippers, maybe you would cower in your homes if you didn’t have firearms by your sides. We Boston liberals are made of stouter stuff than that.

Bell responded to an onslaught on Facebook after his idiocy and “apologized” for his timing of the tweet, but not for referring to fellow Americans as “cowering:”

I would like to apologize to the people of Boston & Massachusetts for the poor timing of my tweet earlier this morning. As a staunch and unwavering supporter of the individual right to self defense, I expressed my point of view without thinking of its effect on those still in time of crisis. In hindsight, given the ongoing tragedy that is still unfolding, I regret the poor choice of timing. Please know that my thoughts and prayers were with the people of Boston overnight and will continue as they recover from this tragedy.

Over 8,700 comments on his Facebook apology, with the majority criticizing his insensitivity.

Still an idiot…

Boston: Bombing suspect apprehended and in custody

Police have nabbed the 19-year-old suspected Boston Marathon bomber, after a day-long manhunt that completely shut down the city of Boston and several suburbs.

An ambulance arrived at the scene to take the suspect, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, to a hospital. A volley of gunfire had been heard in the Watertown area around 7:00 p.m., and police told residents to stay inside and shelter in place as SWAT teams rushed in.

Tsarnaev was found in a boat in the yard of a home on Franklin Street, close to where he and his older brother engaged in a shootout with police nearly 24 hours earlier. Police could be heard calling to him to come out with his hands up.

A neighbor told ABC News that the homeowner had discovered Tsarnaev when he saw blood on the outside of his boat and then lifted the cover to find a person inside.

(via Yahoo News)

Boston: one suspected Boston bomber shot and killed, other still on the loose

Via CBS News:

A law enforcement official told CBS News the two suspected bombers have been preliminarily identified. They are believed to be from Chechnya or Turkey. They have been in the United States a little over a year. The two men are not students. They are legal permanent residents of the U.S.

The sources said the two are brothers, 19 and 20.

One has been identified as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev of Cambridge, Mass., known as the man in the white hat from the marathon surveillance footage, CBS News reports. The suspect who was killed has been identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, CBS News reports.

State Department records helped the FBI identify the suspects, CBS News’ Bob Orr reports.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis says he is “armed and dangerous.”

The Boston Globe is reporting:

One suspect in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings has been captured, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation. Another remains on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police. Authorities have established a 20-block perimeter as they search for him.

A scene of chaos descended on Cambridge and Watertown late Thursday night and early Friday morning, as police confirmed an MIT police officer was shot and killed, and an apparent carjacking led police on a wild chase into Watertown. Witnesses in Watertown said they heard explosions. Police officers were screaming about improvised explosive devices.

Authorities would not comment on whether the events were connected to Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings. At least one of the suspects in Watertown appeared to be a man in his 20s. FBI agents were on the scene in Watertown. The FBI source said early Friday it is “too early to speculate” on a relation to the Marathon bombing.

Via NBC News.

Law enforcement sources said the suspects have international links and have been in the country legally for about a year. The suspects approached the MIT officer and shot him in head, the sources said. The two then stole the MIT officer’s cruiser, robbed a nearby 7-11 and carjacked a Mercedes SUV, briefly kidnapping the driver, the sources said. At various points, the suspects threw explosives out the window of the moving car. The dead suspect had an improvised explosive device strapped to his chest and the law enforcement sources warned that the suspect on the run may as well.

 (via JMG)

Boston: Crowd sings National Anthem at Boston Bruins game

At last night’s Boston Bruins game – the first major sporting event in Boston since the bombing – Americans made their voices heard.

Rene Rancourt, who has been singing the National Anthem there for more than 40 years, began to sing. He quickly let the crowd take over.

We are Americans. We will not be terrorized.

Forward.