Report: Trump Backing Away From $1.8 Billion Slush Fund

Donald Trump is reportedly backing away from his plan to launch a $1.8 billion fund to dole out to his supporters who claim they were “victims” of unfair prosecution by the government — like the January 6 rioters who assaulted Capitol police officers.

From the New York Times:

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the president’s thinking, said he had been leaning for days toward scrapping the fund, which has sparked backlash from critics who characterized it as a scheme to reward Mr. Trump’s political allies with public benefits.

But as with all things involving Mr. Trump, he could still decide to reverse course, especially as he tracks media coverage of his decision.

Another sign of Mr. Trump’s retreat came earlier on Monday, when the Justice Department said in a statement that it would abide by a federal judge’s temporary order not to proceed with any steps to activate the fund until at least June 12, when a hearing on the fund is scheduled.

Privately, some administration officials expressed relief that the judge’s ruling showed a way out of what most had seen as a mess of the Trump team’s own making.

Read more here.


Discover more from The Randy Report

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Share via
Copy link