Some news items you might have missed:
• Edge Media: A gay Tennessee couple – Mike Gill and Cody Heaton (above) – thought they had found their wedding venue since the owner put in an email, “We offer same-sex marriage ceremonies only.” An hour later he received a second email that read: “We do not offer same-sex marriage ceremonies.”#Typo?
• The Advocate: While hate crimes based on sexual orientation decreased from last year, hate crimes based on gender identity continue to rise, the most recent FBI data found. It’s also the highest number of overall hate crimes since 2008.
While hate crimes based on sexual orientation decreased from last year, hate crimes based on gender identity continue to rise, according to the FBI. https://t.co/hafc3iSFor
— The Advocate (@TheAdvocateMag) September 1, 2021
• Queerty: Former boy-bander Lance Bass has proposed to ABC doing a gay version of ‘The Bachelor.’
• Pink News: Transgender actor and Broadway star Alexandra Billings has slammed a West End producer’s comments opposing the casting of trans performers in certain roles.
• Las Vegas Review-Journal: After the Las Vegas Raiders announced vaccinations would be required to attend home games, around 1,800 returned tickets were made available to the public. Allegiant Stadium holds over 65,000, so only about 2.8% were returned.
• ABC News: Following the FDA granting full approval to the Pfizer vaccine, the U.S. saw a 17% increase in the number of Americans getting vaccinated.
Thousands of Americans were finally persuaded to get their first shot in the week following the Food and Drug Administration's full approval of the Pfizer-BioNtech coronavirus vaccine, new data reveals https://t.co/EOKnlqVCkw
— Yahoo News (@YahooNews) September 1, 2021
• Tampa Bay Times: The editorial board of the FL paper writes: “Gov. Ron DeSantis is apparently leaving up to $820 million in federal food assistance on the table, and he won’t explain why. Does he have a reason? Or is it just a really bad one?”