Some news items you might have missed:
• New York Post: Far-right pundits are claiming “thousands of NYC police officers went on unpaid leave to avoid getting vaccinated.” Turns out only 34 cops and 40 civilian members of the force — which account for fewer than .15 percent of NYPD employees — did not comply.
• NPR: Global deaths from COVID-19 have now surpassed 5 million. The U.S. continues to lead the world with the number of confirmed deaths from the virus — where more than 745,800 people have died from COVID-19.
• Washington Post: As the January 6 invasion of the U.S. Capitol building raged on, Donald Trump’s bestie Sen. Lindsey O. Graham was irate that senators were forced to flee their own chamber. He yelled at the Senate sergeant-at-arms. “What are you doing? Take back the Senate! You’ve got guns. Use them.”
Jan. 6 attack: The Post reconstructs the Capitol siege and how Trump refused to tell the mob to disperse for 187 harrowing minutes https://t.co/80J2pu9lkh
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) November 1, 2021
• The Hill: Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) has been reprimanded by the House sergeant-at-arms at least 20 times this year for refusing to wear a mask in the chamber, which has added up to $48,000 worth of associated fines.
• Axios: The Supreme Court on Monday seemed likely to let legal challenges to Texas’ near-total abortion ban proceed. A majority of the justices — including two Trump nominees — seemed concerned with the way Texas has tried to evade legal challenges in federal courts.
• PEOPLE: Jessica Simpson celebrated four years of sobriety by sharing a photo from the beginning of that journey which she describes herself as “unrecognizable.”