Some news items you might have missed:
• Out: Lil Nas X slammed the BET Awards after the Grammy Award winner’s debut album received zero nominations. “This not over no BET Award. This is about the bigger problem of homophobia in the Black community, y’all can sit and pretend all u want, but I’mma risk it all for us.”
• Florida Politics: Following outcry over viral videos of a Dallas Pride Month drag show aimed at kids, Gov. Ron DeSantis says he is looking into preventing bringing children to such shows.
• New York Times: Colorado officials are examining allegations that Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) inflated the mileage she logged on the campaign trail in 2020 and then used more than $20,000 in reimbursements from donors to pay off years of tax liens on her restaurant. Note: the circumference of the ENTIRE planet is only 24,901 miles. Boebert has previously called for making it illegal for folks to come out before age 21.
Lauren Boebert is now being investigated for the $22,259 check she wrote to herself from campaign funds for supposedly driving 38,712 miles in her 2020 campaign, and paying off tax liens on Shooter’s Grill with campaign contributions. https://t.co/LH0cELZw27
— Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 (@RonFilipkowski) June 8, 2022
• NBC News: By a vote of 228-199, the House approved legislation to raise the minimum age to buy semi-automatic rifles from 18 to 21, as part of a package of gun bills in response to a horrific spate of mass shootings across the country. The package is unlikely to get 60 Senate votes to break a filibuster.
• Mediaite: Fox News contributor Tomi Lahren’s attempt to raise up the specter of election fraud seemed to go sideways after the the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder corrected her claims about her voter registration status. Lahren has so far not acknowledged her humiliation.
Checked and your registration is INACTIVE due to returned mail and would only be reactivated if you responded or voted signing the oath attesting to your qualifications and residence. Please DM to confirm your data and we will process a cancelation. Thanks!
— Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk (@LACountyRRCC) June 4, 2022
• ABC7 Chicago: The City of Aurora has revoked the permit for the 2022 Aurora Pride Parade due to the organizers failing to retain enough law enforcement officers for the parade. Last month, parade organizers announced they would not allow police officers to march in the parade in full uniform or bring police vehicles. As it’s a private event, officers have to be asked to volunteer their time to work security.
Organizers of the 2022 Aurora Pride Parade said their special events permit has been revoked due to police staffing issues. https://t.co/nHmMMEohVH
— ABC 7 Chicago (@ABC7Chicago) June 8, 2022
• LGBTQ Nation: Christian pastor calls for every gay person to be lined up & “shot in the back of the head.”
• Twitter: Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA) quietly schooled his Republican counterparts who are targeting the rights of LGBTQ Americans ― with a little help from Jesus Christ. “I just thought I would now recite what Jesus Christ said about homosexuality,” he told his fellow House members.
Lieu: I just thought I would recite for you what Jesus Christ said about homosexuality:
I yield back pic.twitter.com/KTMbtXMtnC
— Acyn (@Acyn) June 8, 2022