Some news items you might have missed:
• Queerty: The sugar baby of a retired priest says he grieved for two days before collecting his roughly £260,000 ($330,000) inheritance. Now he’s insisting he is not a gold digger.
• Australia: My hubby Michael recently helped coordinate pop icon Olivia Newton-John taking part in this terrific video (below) of unity from Australia and all the Aussies banding together to get to the other side of the COVID-19 crisis.
• NBC News: Despite massive problems at the voting booth, Democratic turnout in Georgia’s primaries skyrocketed — with three times as many votes cast in the Senate primary as in 2016. With 91 percent of the vote in as of Friday, nearly 960,000 voters had cast ballots in the Democratic Senate primary race won by Jon Ossoff, compared to 310,000 who voted in the Senate primary in 2016.
Porter released his acclaimed cover version of the classic Buffalo Springfield’s “For What It’s Worth” on April 24 as a means to encourage and support voter registration and voter initiatives across the country. In light of recent events, the song is now organically taking on its original intent as the ultimate protest anthem.
• AP News: Joe Biden’s search for a running mate has apparently been whittled down to as few as six serious contenders after initial interviews. Those still in contention include Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Kamala Harris of California, as well as Susan Rice, who served as President Barack Obama’s national security adviser. Also in contention are Florida Rep. Val Demings and Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, and New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham.
• Twitter: The legendary Liza Minnelli will outlive us all. If you don’t know it, make sure to check out this humorous Twitter account humor account, curated with love by Scott Gorenstein, of all the people, trends and pop culture references the diva Liza has outlived.
Liza Minnelli has outlived displaying the Confederate flag at NASCAR events and properties.
The ban on the flag is an extraordinary move from #NASCAR which traces its roots—and a large amount of its fanbase – to the Deep South where fans routinely display the flag on race day.
— LizaMinnelliOutlives (@LiZaOutlives) June 11, 2020
Liza Minnelli has outlived the Minneapolis Police Department after a veto-proof City Council announced their intent to disband the department and invest in proven community-led public safety.#MinneapolisPoliceDisbandmentParty #PoliceReformNow
— LizaMinnelliOutlives (@LiZaOutlives) June 7, 2020
Liza Minnelli has outlived the career of Rep. Steve King who lost the Republican primary.
— LizaMinnelliOutlives (@LiZaOutlives) June 3, 2020
Liza Minnelli has outlived the Copacabana, the world-famous NYC nightclub.
— LizaMinnelliOutlives (@LiZaOutlives) May 27, 2020