Some news items you might have missed:
• Outsports: If the out LGBTQ athletes at the Tokyo Olympics were a country, they’d currently be ranked 11th. Outsports is tracking what they call ‘Team LGBTQ’ throughout the Olympiad.
— Outsports (@outsports) July 31, 2021
• U.S. News: Hungary’s National Election Committee has approved a list of questions on LGBT issues it wants to put on a referendum that aims to ban schools’ teaching about homosexuality and transgender issues, stepping up a culture war with the EU.
• New York Times: Citing the ongoing dangers of the coronavirus pandemic, Broadway producers have announced theatergoers will need to be vaccinated against Covid-19 and wear masks in order to attend a performance just days before the first production is set to reopen after 16 months.
Breaking news: All Broadway theaters will require that patrons be vaccinated and masked at least through October. https://t.co/FjhMu1XMUO
— Michael Paulson (@MichaelPaulson) July 30, 2021
• HuffPost: When an accused Capitol rioter refused to wear a mask in court because he doesn’t believe they reduce transmission, the judge clapped back asking, “When did you go to medical school, sir? Do you have a medical degree?”
• Mediaite: A Morning Consult poll published this week asked “Do you have a favorable or unfavorable view of White nationalists?” and 23% of Republican men said “Very favorable” or “Somewhat favorable.”
• Billboard: Aretha Franklin’s legacy is getting the proper Respect it deserves in a new clip from the forthcoming biopic about the late superstar’s life. The minute-long clip features Jennifer Hudson portraying the Queen of Soul as she belts out her world-famous signature song “Respect.”