Some news items you might have missed:
• InstaHunks: I totally agree with designer Daniel Sheehan (above) on the issue of less: “As I get older I am understanding the notion of Less, that less can in fact be MORE. Better quality life, stronger relationships, and focus on what is really important to me as an individual and as a member of society.” Follow the wise and woofy Sheehan on Instagram here.
• The Gaily Grind: Lee Brobson, 30, had to be hospitalized after he was brutally beaten up by two men during a night out after he bravely stood up for two of his gay best friends who were being subjected to a homophobic attack for holding hands.
• BBC News: A number of gay men say they are going to extreme lengths to change their bodies – including using steroids and having plastic surgery – just to become “accepted” by others in the LGBT community.
• NBC News: Donald Trump’s impeachment lawyer, Alan Dershowitz, argued today that a quid pro quo involving a president’s political benefit was fine because all presidents believe their elections are in the public’s interest. Essentially, if Trump withheld nearly $400 million in aid to pressure Ukraine into announcing investigations of Democrats to help his campaign, that’s fine because Trump thinks his election is to the country’s benefit.
• Advocate: Nine Republican lawmakers in Iowa have introduced a bill that would remove gender identity from the state’s nondiscrimination law — and if the bill passes, it would mark the first time an entire category was removed from such a law in any state.
• MLive: Supporters of a ballot initiative to protect LGBT Michigan residents from discrimination say they’ll begin collecting signatures as soon as this weekend following initial approval from a state board. The group has until May 27 to collect 340,047 valid petition signatures in order to be eligible for statewide ballot in fall 2020.
• Twitter: When Donald Trump Jr. tried to appropriate Billy Porter’s Grammy Awards lewk in an attempt to troll Joe Biden’s son, Hunter, Porter clapped back on Twitter throwing classic shade complete with closing curtains.
— Billy Porter (@theebillyporter) January 28, 2020