Some news stories you might have missed:
• Broadway News: The hit musical Some Like It Hot scored 8 Drama Desk Awards this week including Outstanding Musical and Outstanding Lead Performance in a Musical for the show’s star J. Harrison Ghee, who identifies as non-binary.
Now let’s keep dancing ‘til the crack of dawn 💃🔥. Thank you @dramadeskawards for the incredible honor of EIGHT Drama Desk Awards including Outstanding Musical! #SomeLikeItHotMusical pic.twitter.com/viRqlpQ7VW
— Some Like It Hot Musical (@SLIHmusical) May 31, 2023
• New York Times: President Erdogan of Turkey vilified gay people during his re-election campaign, calling them a threat to society and rallying conservatives against them. Now that he’s won a third term, many are frightened for what’s next.
• RadarOnline: Out journalist Gio Benitez was recently named GMA weekend host— but sources say his handsome husband Tommy DiDario’s half-naked photos on social media caused a stir with execs before the decision was announced.
• It Gets Better: Not everyone can attend a Pride event in person, so the folks at It Gets Better have arranged a Digital Pride lineup for you, streaming new content every Thursday in June.
• Raw Story: In her latest podcast episode, far-right nut-job Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) says the January 6 riots were actually caused by the FBI: “They set up honeypots and traps to draw people in and take part in making these people commit crimes.”
Marge has a theory on “what really happened on J6.” She says the FBI “set up honeypots and traps to draw people in and take part in making these people commit crimes, and then framing these people to set up a narrative against a president.” pic.twitter.com/tMRmncNvF3
— Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) May 31, 2023