ABC announced today that “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” will return to the air on Tuesday night following a massive outcry that morphed into a flashpoint for free speech in America, including tons of viewers cancelling Disney+/Hulu subscriptions.
The kerfuffle began after Kimmel characterized MAGA Trumpers in an opening monologue as “desperately trying to characterize this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them…”
Breaking News: ABC said that “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” would return on Tuesday, ending an impasse that began last week. https://t.co/r1SBfMgLqx
— The New York Times (@nytimes) September 22, 2025
From the New York Times:
“Last Wednesday, we made the decision to suspend production on the show to avoid further inflaming a tense situation at an emotional moment for our country,” the Walt Disney Company, ABC’s parent company, said in a statement.
“It is a decision we made because we felt some of the comments were ill-timed and thus insensitive,” the statement said. “We have spent the last days having thoughtful conversations with Jimmy, and after those conversations, we reached the decision to return the show on Tuesday.”
The network had removed Mr. Kimmel “indefinitely” last week after a top Trump regulator and many conservatives said he inaccurately described the politics of the man accused of fatally shooting the right-wing activist Charlie Kirk.
Kimmel has still not commented publicly on the show’s suspension. Plus, there’s no word on whether media corporations Nextstar and Sinclair (who own dozens of local ABC affiliates) will air the show.
I’m certain ketchup is being flung at White House walls over ABC’s announcement stepping on Trump’s scheduled press conference regarding an expected federal report that will allegedly link acetaminophen, the active ingredient in painkillers like Tylenol, with autism. Published research has so far has yielded no causation between the two.
In related news, FCC chairman Brendan Carr is apparently having a “pants on fire” moment by denying that he threatened to revoke ABC’s local station licenses if the broadcasting company did not fire late night host Jimmy Kimmel.
What he actually said (video below):
“We can do this the easy way or the hard way…These companies can find ways to change conduct or take action on Kimmel …or there is going to be additional work for the FCC ahead. There are actions we can take on licensed broadcasters.”
Sound like a “threat” to you?
Trump FCC Chair Brendan Carr threatens ABC and Disney over Jimmy Kimmel’s Charlie Kirk comments:
“We can do this the easy way or the hard way… There’s actions we can take on licensed broadcasters. It’s long past the time that… Comcast and Disney say ‘We’re not gonna run Kimmel… pic.twitter.com/Zk86HS74wW
— Republicans against Trump (@RpsAgainstTrump) September 17, 2025
Discover more from The Randy Report
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
