Some news items you might have missed:
• AP News: A Michigan jury has decided that a handwritten document found stuffed in couch cushions at Aretha Franklin’s home after her 2018 death is her valid will.
BREAKING: A document handwritten by Aretha Franklin and found in her couch after her 2018 death is a valid Michigan will, a jury said. https://t.co/RX5HrrXrOw
— The Associated Press (@AP) July 11, 2023
• The Advocate: Out Rep. Robert Garcia (D-CA) has submitted an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act restricting U.S. security assistance to Uganda over that country’s recent anti-LGBTQ+ legislation.
• CBS News Miami: A former intern and a legislative aide for Florida state Rep. Fabian Basabe are accusing the Republican lawmaker of making repeated, unwanted sexual advances on them. Although married to a lingerie heiress, Basabe has given differing answers about his sexuality.
• A&E: Told by pageant insiders—including more than 20 former Miss Americas—whistleblowers, contemporary contestants, executives and critics, “Secrets of Miss America” delves into the long-kept secrets of America’s oldest beauty pageant. I’m able to watch via Hulu.
• Deadline: An alleged victim of Kevin Spacey told a U.K. court that he woke up in Spacey’s London apartment to find the actor sexually assaulting him. The Oscar-winner is currently on trial for several charges including sexual assault.
• New York Times: President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey reversed himself on Monday saying his country will now support Sweden joining NATO. The announcement clears the way for Sweden to become the 32nd member of the security alliance founded in 1949.
• Gayety: Warner Bros. has released the first trailer for the Willy Wonka prequel film starring Timothée Chalamet. The film is set to float into theaters on December 15, 2023.