Some news items you might have missed:
• Xtra: Here’s your gay guide to the Super Bowl – you know, the thing happening before and after the Rihanna concert on Sunday. Two notables: This will be the very first meeting of two Black quarterbacks in the big game, as well as the first time two brothers will face off on opposing teams (Jason and Travis Kelce).
• Politico: Rep. George Santos was charged with theft in Pennsylvania’s Amish Country in 2017 after a series of bad checks (to the tune of $15,125) were written in his name to dog breeders. He allegedly told police his checkbook was stolen, and charges were dropped. Days later he showed up at an animal rescue event with several puppies.
George Santos was charged with theft in Pennsylvania in 2017 after a series of bad checks were written in his name to dog breeders, according to the court and a lawyer friend who helped him address the charge https://t.co/u0vXlwEDUF
— POLITICO (@politico) February 9, 2023
• The Advocate: White police officers tackled and arrested Black, gay reporter Evan Lambert of Newsnation at a press event in Ohio for allegedly speaking too loudly.
• Kenneth-in-the-212: Check out the what’s what in LGBTQ publications this week including Heartstopper illustrator Alice Oseman on the cover of Attitude Magazine.
• Axios: The cost of hiring a babysitter has gone up! Last year’s national average babysitting rate was $22.68 an hour for one child, $25.37 an hour for two and $27.70 an hour for three.
• New Music: Out singer-songwriter VINCINT drops his new single, “Romance,” co-written by VINCINT and multi-Platinum, GRAMMY Award-nominated singer-songwriter MNEK.
“‘Romance’ is about seeing someone you care for being treated like shit and knowing you can love them better,” says VINCINT. “A little ode to the divas of the early 2000s, like Toni Braxton’s ‘He Wasn’t Man Enough’ and Brandy and Monica’s ‘The Boy Is Mine.’ Plain and simple, it’s me talking my shit.”