Some news items you might have missed:
• Raw Story: Truth-challenged Rep. George Santos (R-NY) has lost his appeal in an attempt to keep secret the names of his bail backers who guaranteed his $500K bond in his criminal fraud case. Santos previously said he would go to jail to protect the names.
George Santos bail backers have until Thursday to withdraw or be exposed https://t.co/e3X3gVxJK5
— Raw Story (@RawStory) June 20, 2023
• GLAAD: According to GLAAD’s 2023 Advertising Visibility Index,
LGBTQ people are nearly invisible in mainstream advertising. LGBTQ people received 1.42% of screen time and are featured in only 3% of ads.
• Back2Stonewall: A man in San Diego says he was verbally assaulted with jeers of “faggot” before being attacked and set on fire in an apparent hate crime. He sustained second-degree burns on his side and back.
• New York Times: A federal judge in Arkansas has struck down the state’s law forbidding medical treatments for children and teenagers seeking gender transitions saying the law both discriminated against transgender people and violated constitutional rights for doctors.
Breaking News: An Arkansas judge struck down the state’s law banning medical treatments for minors seeking gender transitions, the nation's first such measure. https://t.co/uv2nME7Nkc
— The New York Times (@nytimes) June 20, 2023
• Pink News: The top five social media platforms are all failing to protect queer people, according to research by leading queer advocacy organization GLAAD.
• The Advocate: Estonia’s parliament has voted to legalize same-sex marriage, making it the first central European country to do so.
It's official: #Estonia has legalised marriage equality. We join other Nordic nations with this historic decision.
I'm proud of my country. We're building a society where everyone’s rights are respected and people can love freely.
The decision will enter into force from 2024. pic.twitter.com/tQJdO70eEo
— Kaja Kallas (@kajakallas) June 20, 2023