George Santos Loses Appeal To Shield Bail Backers + More News

Truth-challenged Rep. George Santos (R-NY) has lost his appeal in an attempt to keep secret the names of the people who guaranteed his $500K bond in his criminal fraud case
Rep. George Santos (R-NY)
Some news items you might have missed: • Raw Story: Truth-challenged Rep. George Santos (R-NY) has lost his appeal in an attempt to keep secret the names of his bail backers who guaranteed his $500K bond in his criminal fraud case. Santos previously said he would go to jail to protect the names. Continue reading “George Santos Loses Appeal To Shield Bail Backers + More News”

News Round-Up: November 6, 2020

Juan Melecio (image via Twitter)
Some news items you might have missed: • Edge Media: Juan Melecio (above), better known as gay porn star Antonio Biaggi, finished 5th in a field of 6 candidates for two city commissioner seats in gay-centric Wilton Manors, Florida. • The Advocate: The GOP failed in its attempt to derail the campaign of Democrat Roger Montoya by shaming him over a gay porn past nearly 40 years ago. Montoya triumphed in his New Mexico race for House District 40, besting Republican opponent Justin Salazar-Torrez 56.8 percent to 43.2 percent. • Victory Fund: Todd Gloria has won his race to become the next Mayor of San Diego, California. He is the first openly LGBTQ person and first person of color to be elected to the office. • New Music: Australian superstar Kylie Minogue drops some super-cute disco beats with her latest single, “Where Does The DJ Go?” The pop diva will also be streaming a live 50-minute performance – Kylie: Infinite Disco – around the globe on Saturday, November 7.

NBC News: Defense Secretary Mark Esper has prepared a letter of resignation, according to three current defense officials. Defense officials say Esper prepared his letter because he is one of the Cabinet officials long expected to be pushed out after the election. • Vox: Georgia now has two Senate runoffs, both to be decided on January 5, 2021, as Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R) and Democrat Rev. Raphael Warnock failed to cross the majority threshold in Georgia’s special election Senate race.  Sen. David Perdue (R) and Jon Ossoff (D) are headed to a runoff as well as neither were able to clear the state’s 50 percent threshold. • Washington Examiner: Amid reports Donald Trump might not concede the election, a spokesman for Joe Biden’s campaign, Andrew Bates responded: “The American people will decide this election. And the United States government is perfectly capable of escorting trespassers out of the White House.”

Internet Tips Barista $20K After San Diego ‘Karen’ Gets Snarky Over Mask

Barista Lenin Gutierrez says ‘thank you’ (image via GoFundMe)
In this installment of the ‘Karen Chronicles,’ a San Diego woman recently took to Facebook to criticize a Starbucks barista named Lenin who refused to ask her to wear a face mask. But the snarky post backfired and resulted in over 1,300 social media peeps donating over $20,000 in tips to a GoFundMe campaign in less than two days. “Meet lenen [sic] from Starbucks who refused to serve me cause I’m not wearing a mask,” read the caption for the photo. “Next time I will wait for cops and bring a medical exemption.” The post has been shared over 47,000 times and received over 133K comments which are overwhelmingly in support of young Lenin.

This probably isn’t what ‘Karen’ had in mind: “Listen, Karen, if you can’t be bothered to wear a f**king mask for 10 minutes out of consideration for *other people* AND because it’s store policy, then you’re not only rude, you’re incredibly selfish,” wrote one commenter. “News flash: everything isn’t about you.” “Being a Karen isn’t a medical exemption,” added another. “You’re in the store for 10 minutes max to wait for coffee, not taking a trip to Mars for 6 months. If your condition is that bad then you are half dead already and should be having your coffee delivered to you in hospice!” One person asked, “If you cannot wear a mask, why not go through the drive through?” Another wrote, “Are you really crying cause you had to wear a mask for 10 minutes to get coffee then leave? Is it really that hard? Just wear the mask, get your coffee then take it off when you leave Karen, Jesus Christ.” Several people noted that ‘Karen’ had shared many photos on Facebook in the past showing her wearing all kinds of masks – when she wanted to. “You wore all these masks,” wrote one poster. The ‘Karen’ – who describes herself as a “mother, photographer, yoga instructor, activist, and artist” – tried to troll back, but failed in epic fashion. At one point, she could only muster a lame, “Masks are stupid and so are the people wearing them.” Earlier in June, she had shared a meme that read, “I have a condition that prevents me from wearing a mask. It’s called intelligence.” It’s worth noting that, during the coronavirus pandemic, face masks are mandated for everyone in California while in public unless they have a medical condition that prevents them from covering their face. After internet sleuths identified the barista as Lenin Gutierrez, many expressed they wanted to tip Lenin for having to put up with the ‘Karen.’ And so, Matt Cowan decided to launch a crowdfunding campaign with a goal of $1,000. Cowan told the local ABC News affiliate 10News, “I set it at $1,000 thinking that was a reach but we would be lucky if we hit like $250, and when we hit $100 I was overwhelmed by that.” When the original goal was quickly reached, Cowan raised his target to $5,000, which was also surpassed in no time. “You all are absolutely incredible,” wrote Cowan on the GoFundMe page. “Update from Lenin cause he wanted to say thank you to everyone. So you are all aware, he and I will be meeting in San Diego so that he can receive all the funds in person.” Cowan also shared a photo of Lenin holding a sign which read, “Thank you everyone for the tips!!! Stay Safe.” On Wednesday, Lenin posted a video message of thanks on his Facebook and shared his side of the incident.

Lenin says that when the woman came in without a mask, he asked if she had one, to which she replied that she doesn’t need one. As he attempted to show her the official guidelines from Starbucks, she snapped back repeating she didn’t need a mask and began “cussing up a storm.” “She started calling people ‘sheep’ and she left,” explained Gutierrez. “Within a few minutes she came back and asked for my name, she took a photo of me and said ‘I’m calling corporate’ and started cussing some more at everyone and just left.” He added that he’s a dancer and before the coronavirus pandemic he’s shared his passion by teaching dance to children. He says he plans to use his sudden windfall to fund his dream of “changing other people’s lives the way dance changed mine.” A Starbucks spokesman issued the following statement to News10: We want everyone to feel welcome in our stores. We respectfully request customers follow social distancing and safety protocols recommended by public health officials, including wearing a facial covering when visiting our stores.

San Diego’s First LGBT-Affirming Senior Housing Community Opens

From San Diego’s KPBS:

The North Park Senior Apartments were created in partnership with the San Diego LGBT Community Center. Inside, they have an office to help connect residents with nearby resources.

“You’re always represented by the center as well as our apartment complex,” said Paul Stewart who lives in one of the new units. “To make sure that both sides of whatever is happening or needs to be addressed is heard.”

Developers said this is the first affordable senior housing community designed to support LGBT seniors.

The complex has 75 total units. Rents range from $740 for a studio to $1,150 for a two-bedroom apartment. Stewart moved to the complex from another apartment in North Park.

West Side Story Rumble In San Diego

Click pic for larger view

As I’ve shared earlier, I’m currently in San Diego rehearsing a new production of the classic Broadway musical West Side Story for San Diego Musical Theatre.

We move into the theatre today for tech rehearsals, but as we left the rehearsal hall last night things turned into a fun little photoshoot as the gangs faced off one last time on our “rehearsal turf.”

Director James Vasquez and I were pulled into the center of the action as the “Jets” and “Sharks” posed for one more “rumble” pic.

Loving the uber-talented cast and team on this production. Every day they blow me away with their commitment and talent.

Performances begin a week from today at the Spreckels Theatre in San Diego.

First “Stumble-Through” Of West Side Story At SDMT

As many Randy Report readers know, my life is split between writing here (a serious passion for me), and my forty year career in the theater.

I’m currently choreographing a new production of West Side Story at San Diego Music Theatre. I was here two years ago doing similar duties with Chicago The Musical (which, btw, resulted in not only a gorgeous production but my first nomination for Best Choreography by the Theatre Critics Association – how cool is that?).

In less than two weeks, we scheduled a “stumble-through” of Act One for today. The good news being that we never really stopped at all. Generally, these things are the first step in running the show, but with stops and starts to figure out details not yet addressed.

But today the cast pretty much went right through with no stops. And, for many, it was a chance to see the material some actors may not be in.

All in all, a terrific day for both cast and creative team.

We were then invited to the producers home for a great evening of relaxing and camaraderie – my favorite part of the arts. Just celebrating this “thing” we are all doing together.

I have a strong feeling that the show, in this cast’s hands, will be really great. Not based on my contributions, but the flavors and spice of the entire cast. As we all know, I love diversity and character and individuality. And this cast has all that.

Carl DeMaio, San Diego Congressional Candidate, Accused Of Another Sexual Harassment Scandal

With only two days before this year’s elections, San Diego’s Carl DeMaio has yet another scandal facing him as a second staffer has come forward accusing him of sexual harassment:

Twenty-five year old Justin Harper, a Navy veteran,  began interning with DeMaio’s campaign in February. A month later he was hired as a regional political director whose job was to make phone calls and knock on doors to ask voters for their support.

From KPBS:

On Thursday, July 10, Harper said, he returned to DeMaio’s Miramar campaign office in the afternoon following a day of walking neighborhoods and knocking on doors for the campaign. He said there had been a news conference at the headquarters, so DeMaio and other staffers were still in the office.

According to a campaign press release, DeMaio had a news conference at noon that day to “blast sweeping Medicare cuts.”

Harper said he went to the restroom and didn’t know anyone was in there.

“I was at the urinal, and (DeMaio) came from the stall that was closest to the urinal and was kind of just standing there hovering,” Harper said. “I turned around and realized that it was Carl. He had his pants up, but his fly was undone, and he had his hand grasping his genitals.”

Harper said DeMaio didn’t say anything to him, and he didn’t say anything to DeMaio.

“I just walked out. I didn’t say anything to him, I just left,” Harper said.

As was the case in the other scandals, DeMaio’s campaign has denied the allegation.

National Organization For Marriage’s Brian Brown Robocalls Against GOP Candidate Carl DeMaio

Some voters in San Diego this weekend received robocalls from the president of anti-gay National Organization for Marriage, Brian Brown, urging them to NOT vote for Republican Carl DeMaio and instead vote for the Democratic candidate Scott Peters. Not because Brown supports Peters – in the call he says Peters is “wrong on the issues but at least we can defeat him in two years. If DeMaio is elected, he may hold office and do damage for decades! Please vote against Carl DeMaio on November 4th.”

Brown opposes DeMaio basically because “gay.”

I’m no fan of DeMaio myself, but interesting that Brown is willing to turn on Republicans if they happen to be gay.

But remember, he says NOM doesn’t get involved in political races…

(via JMG)

San Diego: GOP Candidate Carl DeMaio Struggles On Many Campaign Fronts

Openly gay GOP Congressional candidate Carl DeMaio

Gay Republican candidate Carl DeMaio is having troubles with his campaign on more than one front.

First of all, the LGBT community is not fond of him. There has been no “rallying around the gay candidate” in this case. Apparently, he’s very unlikeable and his policies don’t jive with the community.

Second, there’s the current scandal going on right now as he has been accused of sexual harassment of a former staffer. Not the news you want in the headlines just weeks before an election.

And then there’s the issue of a comment he made at a fundraising event where he said if elected he would owe “everything” to the Tea Party.

Three strikes, you’re out Mr. DeMaio.

See the report by NPR below.