Some news stories you might have missed:
• Boy Culture: Bob Barker, who set a record with his long-running hosting gig on The Price Is Right and who went on to become associated with spaying and neutering pets, died Saturday at 99.
The fact that Bob Barker dying at 99 means he got as close to 100 without going over gives me comfort. pic.twitter.com/g13VjGRePh
— Matthew Rettenmund (@mattrett) August 26, 2023
• New York Times: Maui County officials have publicly blamed Hawaii’s largest electric utility for the wildfires that killed at least 115 people claiming in a lawsuit filed that “intentional and malicious” mismanagement of power lines had allowed flames to spark.
• The Advocate: Two men were stabbed outside of a Washington, D.C., gay bar in Dupont Circle last week. Metropolitan Police officials arrested Mary Kennedy, 35, for allegedly assaulting the men with scissors. Witnesses say the attack was unprovoked.
"They just walked out to get some air… They were at the wrong place at the wrong time." https://t.co/Tp4MHtcfyA
— The Advocate (@TheAdvocateMag) August 24, 2023
• New York Times: Singer Oliver Anthony, whose song “Rich Men North of Richmond” soared to the top of the Billboard singles chart, released a YouTube video on Friday denouncing Republicans and conservative outlets for co-opting his song. “It was funny seeing that presidential debate,” he said. “I wrote that song about those people.”
• Kenneth-in-the-212: Be sure to check out Kenneth’s weekly round-up of LGBTQ publications, including the latest from Gloss Magazine.