Some news items you might have missed:
• LGBTQ Nation: A bill has been introduced in Navajo Nation to legalize marriage equality. Two bills to recognize same-sex marriages in the Navajo Nation were introduced last year. Both were rejected.
• TIME: After wrapping up promotion for her new Netflix series, Glamorous, the show’s star – Miss Benny, who plays gender non-conforming “Marco” – has come out as transgender in an essay for TIME Magazine.
"Last week, my television series Glamorous came out on Netflix. And along with it, I too will come out as the transgender woman I’ve been privately living as for the last few years."@MissBenny for TIME https://t.co/OshgODDjLl
— TIME (@TIME) June 26, 2023
• Virginia Mercury: Virginians no longer have access to Pornhub, one of the internet’s most popular pornography sites, after the company disabled access to the site in the commonwealth in response to a new age verification law.
• Pink News: A right-wing Christian preacher is calling for a “holy judgement” on the upcoming Barbie movie over the over its supposed LGBTQ+ content. The flick hits theaters July 21.
Preacher calls for 'holy judgement' on Barbie movie for being 'full of transgender and homosexuality'https://t.co/5x3UtAvMhO
— PinkNews (@PinkNews) July 3, 2023
• OUT: Tony Award winner Idina Menzel (Wicked, RENT) says she owes her career to the LGBTQ community. “I feel like I’ve learned how to be a better human being through their courage and their willingness to live their lives authentically.”
• New York Times: Forty-two years ago today, the New York Times issued its first report of what would become the HIV/AIDS epidemic.