Trump Orders Military Takeover Of DC Police Dept

Donald Trump announced on Monday a 30-day takeover of the Washington, D.C. police department and deployment of 800 National Guard troops in order to deal with what he described as “bloodthirsty criminals” and “roving mobs of wild youth.

Note – Official data from the Justice Department and Metropolitan Police Department shows violent crime in D.C. is at its lowest level in 30 years, down 35 percent last year and another 26 percent so far in 2025.

Crime statistics via Metropolitan Police Department

More from the New York Times:

Mr. Trump said Attorney General Pam Bondi would oversee the federal takeover of the capital’s Metropolitan Police Department and, with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth at his side, added that he was prepared to send the military into Washington “if needed.” A White House official said the takeover was intended to last for 30 days.

Local officials immediately criticized the president’s actions. Brian Schwalb, the attorney general of the District of Columbia, called them “unprecedented, unnecessary, and unlawful,” and said his office “will do what’s necessary to protect the rights and safety of District residents.”

Mr. Trump also threatened to expand his efforts to other cities, including Chicago, if they did not deal with crime rates he claimed were “out of control.”

But Mr. Trump’s authority to intervene elsewhere would be more limited: His announcement on Monday invoked a section of the District of Columbia Home Rule Act that grants him the power to temporarily seize control of the city’s police department.

Army spokesman Col. Dave Butler said National Guard troops should be in position in D.C. later this week.

In a public statement, DC Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) called Trump’s federal takeover of the D.C. police department “unsettling and unprecedented.” Leading Congressional Democrats also chimed in.

Read more here.

During his announcement, Trump said he wants police to “knock the hell out” suspected criminals, adding that, under his direction, officers will be “allowed to do whatever the hell they want.”

Trump’s sudden attention to crime in DC comes in response to his hearing about a 19-year-old former DOGE tech bro known as “Big Balls” (real name Edward Coristine) being assaulted by a group of teenagers on August 3.

Additionally, The New Republic is reporting today’s actions were directly inspired by the homeless people Trump saw from his motorcade window on the way to his golf course.

And, of course, anything to divert from the Epstein files…


Discover more from The Randy Report

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Share via
Copy link