• InstaHunks: From my favorite illustrator on the Gram of Insta, Silverjow (above) offers his ‘hunks of the week’ celebrating Pride Month. Make sure you follow him on Instagram here.
• The Hill: Pentagon press secretary John Kirby told reporters today the defense department will continue the existing policy from July of 2020 regarding the display or depiction of unofficial flags. “There won’t be an exception made this month for the Pride flag.”
• Kenneth-in-the-212: Click over to Kenneth’s weekly round-up of the what’s what in local LGBTQ publications like the 14th anniversary issue of Southern California’s RAGE Magazine (below).
• NY1 News: Forging a vaccination card or providing fraudulent proof of immunity could soon be a felony in New York based on a measure approved Thursday by the Democratic-led Assembly.
• Right Wing Watch: Far-right wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos says that as soon as he became “ex-gay,” dogs stopped barking at him, which he believes is a sign from God.
Milo Yiannopoulos says that as soon as he became “ex-gay,” dogs stopped barking at him, which he believes is a sign from God. pic.twitter.com/AgDrmFka2h
• Out Music: Todrick Hall celebrates Pride with the release of his new single – “Boys In The Ocean” – an irresistible funk jam that rides along an infectious bass line and guitar licks, primed for summer escapism.
Last year, Billboard wrote of Hall, “He’s part old-school theatre showman, part new-school internet personality, part drag queen… he’s also pushing the boundaries of LGBTQ representation in a business that has historically been unwelcoming to queer people of color.”
• Trump cultist Brenden Dilley went after Pennsylvania state Rep. Brian Sims after Sims confronted anti-abortion activists at a women’s health clinic. In a Twitter video, Dilley asserts that Sims isn’t really gay, and just pretending to up his liberal cred.
Dilley calls for Sims to “suck a dick” to prove he’s gay. Donald Trump, these are your people.
MAGA activist Brenden Dilley insists that Pennsylvania state Rep. Brian Sims is not really gay and challenges him to “suck a dick” to prove otherwise. pic.twitter.com/qq6YLhAaJA
• An 11-year-old rape victim in northwestern Ohio is pregnant, and according to the state’s new, highly restrictive law on abortion, a girl in her position must carry and deliver her rapist’s baby. #Seriously • A new Reuters/Ipsos poll shows support for launching impeachment proceedings against Donald Trump has moved up to 45% support.
• Who else is feeling springtime in the air? Graphic artist Silverjow captures the mood perfectly (above). He shares that he was inspired by the cherry blossoms in Japan as well as the stylish peeps heading to work in their business suits 🙂
• Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo, the brothers accused of attacking actor Jussie Smollett and later cleared when prosecutors announced Smollett had orchestrated a hoax to advance his career, are suing Smollett’s legal team for defamation.
• Donald Trump’s son-in-law and presidential adviser Jared Kushner suggested Tuesday that special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation was more harmful to the US than Russian meddling in the 2016 election. Kushner downplayed Russia’s efforts to interfere with the 2016 election as “buying some Facebook ads.”
• Voter turnout for young voters during the midterm elections was the highest in four decades.
.@AnneKFlaherty reports: Young people behind the highest midterm turnout in four decades per Census data
“Among 18- to 29-yo voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group — a 79 percent jump.”
• Nigel Shelby, a 15-year-old high school student in Huntsville, Alabama, took his own life after suffering from homophobic bullying from classmates. The Center for Social Equity found 89% of LGBTQ students report being bullied.
If you or someone you know is struggling with feelings of suicide, please consider reaching out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or The Trevor Project at 1-866-488-7386.
• A major faith-based foster care and adoption contractor for the state of Michigan, Bethany Christian Services, announced it will place children in LGBTQ homes, reversing course following a recent legal settlement.
• Politico reports that Donald Trump has ordered administration officials to boycott the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, the annual fundraising gala attended by the White House press corps and scheduled for this Saturday. For the third year in a row, Trump has announced he will not attend, and instead hold a political rally in Green Bay, Wisconsin, describing the dinner as “so boring and so negative.”
• Flipping the script from Trump’s negative, let’s end this Round-Up with Salt Cathedral‘s upbeat tribute to folks who work hard for what they want: “Go and Get It” featuring guest artists Big Freedia & Jarina DeMarco.
The bouncy, euphoric electronic track features playful pop vocals along with sunny horn samples on a bass-heavy track.
Salt Cathedral say, ”‘Go And Get It’ is our hustler anthem. Since we came to this country we worked to open doors constantly by hustling like crazy. Having Jarina and Freedia be part of this and bring their magic into it makes the message and emotion extra powerful. We hope for people to feel inspired and go and get the shit that they want in their lives.”
• Anyone got that ‘post-holiday bloat?’ I love this artist (above) on Instagram. Goes by the moniker Silverjow and his art has so much character and humor. I’m looking to interview him soon. Check out his stuff here.
• Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona was sworn in today as the first openly bisexual senator in US history. I’m totally not being sexist here, but can we get an ‘amen’ for her awesome swearing in outfit??? #smokin
• The CW has given the green light to a pilot for Batwoman, starring Ruby Rose as the out lesbian crimefighter.
• Comedian Kevin Hart is scheduled to appear on ELLEN this coming Monday, most probably as part of his apology tour for homophobic tweets that led to his stepping down as host for the upcoming Academy Awards.
• New York City now offers a non-binary option on birth certificates. Additionally, New Yorkers will no longer need a letter from a physician or an affidavit signed by a licensed health care provider to change their gender on their birth certificate.
• After folks questioned whether Madonna had gotten butt implants (thanks to photos from her New Year’s Eve appearance at the Stonewall Inn), Madge took to Instagram to take a swipe at the rumors riffing on her hit 1985 movie: “Desperately Seeking No Ones Approval.”