News Round-Up: July 3, 2020

Yanni Burton (courtesy photo)
Some news items you might have missed: • Newsweek: Producers for The Ellen DeGeneres Show have denied rumors that the long-running talk show is coming to an end following the continued backlash against the host. The Sun alleges the show is set to be axed due to ratings falling 14 percent to a new season 17 low rating of 1.2. • Out Music: Yanni Burton (top photo) turns the spotlight on his own struggles of letting go and moving on from past relationships in his new single and music video, “A Part of Me.” “I have a history of getting lost in memories and emotions,” says Yanni. “To the point where I become consumed with panic, anxiety and I can’t function properly or move on with my life.” Produced by Yanni with his close friend Tiger Darrow, the song contains a dreamy, trippy soundscape and is darker and more emotionally intense than his previous singles. However, it still contains the pop/dance feel the artist has become known for. Check it out below.

Vanity Fair: The Trump campaign is considering canceling the Republican National Convention in Jacksonville, Florida after the city mandated that people wear masks indoors to slow the explosion of COVID-19 cases. • KIT212: Hit up Kenneth’s latest round-up of the what’s what in local LGBTQ publications like South Florida’s Hot Spots (below). Pink News: Utah County Commissioner Nathan Ivie, 40, who came out as the state’s first openly gay elected Republican last year, just lost his bid for reelection. He says his loss is “absolutely” because he came out. He won his previous election by 81 percent. • Gay Star News: RuPaul has completely wiped his Instagram account of all posts and deleted his Twitter account entirely – but fans don’t know why. Nevertheless, fans have come up with all sorts of theories as to why the accounts have disappeared.

Poll: Hillary Clinton Acceptance Speech Scores Higher Than Trump’s

So, now that both presidential candidates have accepted their nominations and addressed the country, whose message scored better with voters?

Well, according to polls by CNN immediately after each speech, it looks like the reaction to Democrat Hillary Clinton got a more positive reaction.

A CNN/ORC poll last night showed 71% of those who watched Clinton’s speech felt “very positive” about her address.

CNN’s poll after Republican Donald Trump’s speech last week was 14 points lower – 57% “very positive.”

On the other end of the spectrum, the negatives showed further downside for Trump. While only 12% viewed Clinton’s speech in a “negative” light, Trump’s negative score was double that – 24%.

Additionally, Clinton scored higher than Trump – 82% over 73% – when it came to which candidate’s policies would move the country in the right direction.

Chaos In Cleveland As #NeverTrump Movement Gets Shut Down

The first day of the 2016 Republican National Convention devolved into chaos as #NeverTrump folks lost in their effort force a roll call vote in hopes of derailing the nomination of Donald Trump.

From USA Today:

Pro-Trump delegates tried to shout down the insurgents, led by Sen. Mike Lee of Utah and former Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli, whose move for a vote could have delayed the proceedings by hours on the convention’s opening nights.

At one point, the podium of the convention was empty, leading Lee to say the convention had fallen into disarray on its first day, which was scheduled to emphasize law and order.

“I’ve never seen the chair vacated like that,” Lee said, calling the situation “surreal.”

Never Trump delegates chanted “roll call vote!” and “point of order!” from the floor, seeking to force the issue. A similar effort failed last week before the convention rules committee.

Despite the flurry of activity by Trump’s opponents, their attempt was quickly stymied. Some GOP activists, such as conservative analyst Bill Kristol, said it resembled the strong-arm tactics of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Cuccinelli, a leading supporter of a roll call vote, threw his credentials to the floor and walked off, claiming party leaders rammed through the voice vote in spite of petitions calling for a separate ballot.

“They just blatantly violated the rules,” he told reporters.

Pro-Transgender Rights Spot To Air On Fox News During Trump Acceptance Speech

This new ad – created by the Movement Advancement Project, Freedom For All Americans, and Equality Ohio – is set to air on Fox News the evening that Donald Trump is expected to accept the nomination for president at the Republican national convention.

The spot features Alaina Kupec, a transgender woman from North Carolina, in a scenario that many trans people say takes place regularly in states that don’t have transgender protections in place.

As a voiceover explains the difficulties involved in the simple act of accessing a gender-aligned restroom, the scene unfolds showing Kupec being stopped at a restroom door by an restaurant employee and being directed to the men’s room. That exact scenario is currently legal in 32 states.

The spot is direct and effective. Here’s hoping the message is heard.